another reason to buy your bus/ferry pass on the ship

smeyer418

They were just there one day. They could have used cash or bought tokens. You don't have to have a pass to use the bus or ferry.

cash on the bus at least is exact change(no bills) ie. quarters dimes etc....

We have done the Boston to Bermuda cruise on the Majesty 9 times and have never heard of buying transportation passes on board. We just do that at the visitors center as soon as we be off the ship.[/quote}

You can't as of yet buy the passes on board the Majesty. I have heard that the other cruise lines do offer the passes as a courtesy for their passengers. But they probably don't make any money on the transaction hence why NCL doesn't off the convenience. LOL. When the Dream replaces the Majesty in 2008, I hope NCL will consider allowing passes to be purchased onboard before docking in Bermuda. It would save time, that could be better used actually traveling around Bermuda rather than waiting in line.:)

We have done the Boston to Bermuda cruise on the Majesty 9 times and have never heard of buying transportation passes on board. We just do that at the visitors center as soon as we be off the ship.[/quote}

You can't as of yet buy the passes on board the Majesty. I have heard that the other cruise lines do offer the passes as a courtesy for their passengers. But they probably don't make any money on the transaction hence why NCL doesn't off the convenience. LOL. When the Dream replaces the Majesty in 2008, I hope NCL will consider allowing passes to be purchased onboard before docking in Bermuda. It would save time, that could be better used actually traveling around Bermuda rather than waiting in line.:)

I never had to wait more than a couple of minutes to get tokens or passes at the visitor centers or bus terminal. I stopped buying the bus passes because after figuring out the buses and ferries I actually took it cost less to take the individual trips. But it is convenient to use the pass and not worry about tokens etc. and different prices to different zones. Also I found that I am somewhat spontaneous and don't end up just using the bus. Taxis are not that expensive if you share. So the pass does not make sense for someone like me who mixes up a lot of different things.

I never had to wait more than a couple of minutes to get tokens or passes at the visitor centers or bus terminal. I stopped buying the bus passes because after figuring out the buses and ferries I actually took it cost less to take the individual trips. But it is convenient to use the pass and not worry about tokens etc. and different prices to different zones. Also I found that I am somewhat spontaneous and don't end up just using the bus. Taxis are not that expensive if you share. So the pass does not make sense for someone like me who mixes up a lot of different things.

Charles and I are on opposite sides when it comes to the transportation pass versus taxis. He favors the taxis as he finds them convenient, tailored to his personal itinerary and affordable on a specific basis. If you only take a few trips, the taxis are the way to go. But if you combine multiple destinations, and want to get on and off the buses and ferries constantly the pass is more cost effective. I feel the ferries are the best way to get around Bermuda: they give you a scenic treat and a real feel for the island that you can't get from the bus or taxi. I haven't seen a taxi yet that travels across the water. LOL We use the public transportation from early in the morning until late at night, returning to the ship in the middle of the day. I save the money for taxis when we are out late at night such as the Swizzle Inn. Although it was nice the the bus stop back to St George is right at the Swizzle Inn. How convenient. LOL There are also taxis that have drivers trained to give detailed and thorough tours, they have a special flag on the taxi. I highly recommend this for the first time visitors as these drivers can efficiently maximize your limited time and are very knowledgeable and reasonably priced. So it basically depends on how experienced you are of the island and how many times you use the transportation system during your stay.:)

Charles and I are on opposite sides when it comes to the transportation pass versus taxis. He favors the taxis as he finds them convenient, tailored to his personal itinerary and affordable on a specific basis. If you only take a few trips, the taxis are the way to go. But if you combine multiple

I don't favor one form of transportation or another. I am flexible. A taxi is affordable if you share and makes sense some times. I have two cruises booked to Bermuda this year, a five day docking at Kings Wharf and a seven day docking at St. George and Hamilton. On the one docked at Kings Wharf I will be probably be taking the bus both days, not a taxi to Horseshoe Beach. I don't anticipate taking a taxi anywhere on that trip. But the pass does not make sense since I don't intend to do anything but the beach and Dockyard. On the seven day I have some ideas that involve a taxi but will probably use a mix of both taxi's and buses. The pass won't make sense since I won't be using the buses/ferries exclusively even though I will probably use buses both trips more or the same amount as taxi's. When I say I am taking a taxi I don't mean I am getting in one by myself or one other person. Have always shared a cab with others and never paid more than around a $6 share of a regular ride. A great four hour taxi tour cost me a $25 share. Sure you can take a bus and self tour, I have done it, but the guided taxi tour was way better than the guide books self tour on the buses.

Greetings from Dockyard!

Here's the problem - for all visitors who are familiar with the old Visitors Service Bureau next to the Convenience Store - it's no longer there. The Department of Tourism took over the running of the VSB from the Chamber of Commerce and franchised the running of the newly labeled - ' Visitor Information Centre (VIC)' - this came into effect April 1. There are TWO in Dockyard (King's Warf as they like to label us). One is located at the passenger terminal on the dock, the other where Windjammer Watersports used to be located (over by the Clocktower building). Be adviced - if the line is long at the dock's VIC - go to the Ferry dock and get your tokens/passes from the Sea Express counter there - the line is normally much shorter.:)

Last week, Costa Magica was due in Tuesday for two nights - came in finally early Thursday for a one night stop over. They weren't ready for the rush on passes - plain and simple - they were not ready for the cancelled excusions causing a mad rush on tickets. It was a quick lesson on how to be prepared for every eventuality.

Hope to see you all at the Bermuda Arts Centre sometime during the season - I'm the curator there, stop by to say hi! Happy travels!

I take buses, ferries and cabs on Bermuda. I have seen a two hundred person line and more at the Dockyards to buy tickets and this was on a ship that sold day passes on the ship. My point of this which someone always seems to disagree with is that when I am on vacation I want to spend as little time on a line as possible, carry as little change as possible and get where I want to go. I day pass for $12.00(longer passes are less per day)given what you pay for a cruise or a cab without a line is a small price to pay. if you have to count each cent go ahead but that doesn't make it a vacation. So you save $4.00 but spend an 1/2 hour in line when the person in front of you complains that they are out of day passes....make my day.

I take buses, ferries and cabs on Bermuda. I have seen a two hundred person line and more at the Dockyards to buy tickets and this was on a ship that sold day passes on the ship. My point of this which someone always seems to disagree with is that when I am on vacation I want to spend as little time on a line as possible, carry as little change as possible and get where I want to go. I day pass for $12.00(longer passes are less per day)given what you pay for a cruise or a cab without a line is a small price to pay. if you have to count each cent go ahead but that doesn't make it a vacation. So you save $4.00 but spend an 1/2 hour in line when the person in front of you complains that they are out of day passes....make my day.

If I spend $12 for a pass instead of $8 for tokens, which in effect would be $6 for the bus ride, I might as well share a taxi for $6. As far as lines, I have never waited in lines longer than three minutes for them at Hamilton or St. George. I never bought the tokens at the Dockyard but if the line is 200 then I will take the exact change if I am going to take the bus. But now I figure if i see a long line, I will just do what I did last August, share a taxi. If saving time is important the taxi is a time saver since it goes direct without making stops to pick people up along the way, and you don't have to wait 20 or 30 minutes for a bus to come along.

Of course a pass is more convienient than dealing with change or tokens but a taxi is even more convienient and time saving.......

Not if you are taking the Ferry from the Dockyards to St george. The schedule is on line and it takes an hour. The cabs take over an hour and cost more than $100.00. Even with sharing it gets excessive. Also its not like the cabs are lined up at the Dockyards just waiting for you. Most cabs at the Dockyard when you arrive are there for prearranged tours. While it easier to catch a cab at the Clock tower, it isn't a snap either. The last time I took a cab to Horseshoe bay it was about $30.00 for three. Cabs are not cheap on the island, but the drivers are very professional.

Yes occassional it costs six dollar if you only use the pass twice a day other days you can use it more. At $4.00 a token that isn't cheap either. Neither are the buses by most rapid transit standards. You know there is a 15 ticket(allzone) bus available for I think $30.00 that is less per bus ride---especially if you have a large group that is only going to use the buses and you can use it if you go back as there isn't a time limit...but that requires more planning....(and the few time you use the Ferry you can just buy tokens as the bus tickets are not useable on the buses)...

So can you buy the transportation passes at other places aside from the Dockyard?

My DH and I are on the Empress of the Seas going to Bermuda at the end of May. We dock in Hamilton and then St. George. Can we buy a pass in Hamilton? Or can we buy a pass on the ship? :confused:

Not if you are taking the Ferry from the Dockyards to St george. The schedule is on line and it takes an hour. The cabs take over an hour and cost more than $100.00. Even with sharing it gets excessive. Also its not like the cabs are lined up at the Dockyards just waiting for you. Most cabs at the Dockyard when you arrive are there for prearranged tours. While it easier to catch a cab at the Clock tower, it isn't a snap either. The last time I took a cab to Horseshoe bay it was about $30.00 for three. Cabs are not cheap on the island, but the drivers are very professional.

Yes occassional it costs six dollar if you only use the pass twice a day other days you can use it more. At $4.00 a token that isn't cheap either. Neither are the buses by most rapid transit standards. You know there is a 15 ticket(allzone) bus available for I think $30.00 that is less per bus ride---especially if you have a large group that is only going to use the buses and you can use it if you go back as there isn't a time limit...but that requires more planning....(and the few time you use the Ferry you can just buy tokens as the bus tickets are not useable on the buses)...

Who said anything about a cab from the Dockyard to St. George?

If you take the ferry to St. George it would be $4 each way. You don't need the pass if you are only going to do that. If you are going to take the ferry and there and also take some buses that day then the pass would be worth it.

So can you buy the transportation passes at other places aside from the Dockyard?

My DH and I are on the Empress of the Seas going to Bermuda at the end of May. We dock in Hamilton and then St. George. Can we buy a pass in Hamilton? Or can we buy a pass on the ship? :confused:

You can buy the passes and tokens inside the ship terminals at both Hamilton and St. George. You can also buy them at the bus terminal in Hamilton where you go to catch the bus.

I don't know if they sell the passes onboard Empress. Many, but not all ships do.

I don't favor one form of transportation or another. I am flexible. A taxi is affordable if you share and makes sense some times. I have two cruises booked to Bermuda this year, a five day docking at Kings Wharf and a seven day docking at St. George and Hamilton. On the one docked at Kings Wharf I will be probably be taking the bus both days, not a taxi to Horseshoe Beach. I don't anticipate taking a taxi anywhere on that trip. But the pass does not make sense since I don't intend to do anything but the beach and Dockyard. On the seven day I have some ideas that involve a taxi but will probably use a mix of both taxi's and buses. The pass won't make sense since I won't be using the buses/ferries exclusively even though I will probably use buses both trips more or the same amount as taxi's. When I say I am taking a taxi I don't mean I am getting in one by myself or one other person. Have always shared a cab with others and never paid more than around a $6 share of a regular ride. A great four hour taxi tour cost me a $25 share. Sure you can take a bus and self tour, I have done it, but the guided taxi tour was way better than the guide books self tour on the buses.

I have to agree with Charles about the guided taxi tour. These drivers have been trained by the Bermuda Tourism beareau and have a special flag on the hood of the taxi. They also live on the island, so they really know where to go, especially if you request seeing the non touristy areas of the island such as St. Davids. If as Charles suggests you share, then the cost for four hours can be very reasonable and you will see everything important. After that tour, you can go back and revisit anything that hits your fancy. It is a great organized scouting expedition, especially for those who have never been to Bermuda before.:)

Archived