Molokini Crater excursion??

Hollyster2

Depends on the time of day. Mornings are usually calmer, and also easier to get in and out of the water off the boat. It can get rough in the afternoons. I know someone who was there yesterday and they said it was quite rough.

Thank you! Small boats and rough seas are not a good combo for me. I have been ok on a catamaran on the Caribbean, and in Mexico but was sick years ago in Hawaii on a smaller vessel. I am wondering also how long the trip out to the crater actually is.

We booked an excursion through the Pacific Whale Foundation for Molokini Crater. We leave from Maalaela (?sp) and it doesn't look too far to the crater. It would be a longer ride if they leave from Lahaina. I'd check where it leaves from. You can also pre-medicate with motion sickness pills.

We did an independent tour that left from Lahina (morning) and the boat ride was long (like 45 minutes). By the time we got to the crater, everyone on the boat, with the exception of myself and most of the crew, were seasick because of the rough seas. After they got everyone in the water, it was better, but still too choppy to see much of anything. They ended up pulling anchor and taking us to a secluded cove for snorkeling. The ride back was over an hour, just as an FYI.

Frankly, I was underwhelmed by the whole experience and had a much better time (and saw more fish) off the Sheraton Hotel on Kaanapali.

Charlie

I have done two previous excursions to Molokini Crater out of Ma'alaea Harbour (it's the closest harbour). It is about a 45-minute ride out, and about an hour back, because we were sailing and tacking back. It was not very rough either time. We left out at 8:00 AM. It gets more windy and rougher in the afternoon. One of the boats we were on was a sailing catamaran. It was great fun sailing back, with a nice breeze.:D

BTW, I won't do another Molokini tour on future visits to Maui, because the crater wall is rather steep that drops off to deep water quickly. It's better suited for SCUBA. Better snorkeling can be had at Black Rock on the north end of Ka'anapali Beach next to the Sheraton Hotel, and at Honolua Bay ten miles or so north of there. That is were the snorkel boats take you, but the reef is easily accessable from shore.

Another question: (well, two...)

I signed up for this as well through the boat and I'd like to know if there is any offering of SNUBA? Also, how easy/hard is it to get back in the boat? Do they have a little bitty boat ladder, or is it a little more elaborate? I'm a plus woman in fairly decent shape (work with a trainer!).... still a little worried about how cumbersome it is to get in and out the boat...

Thanks!!

Another question: (well, two...)

I signed up for this as well through the boat and I'd like to know if there is any offering of SNUBA? Also, how easy/hard is it to get back in the boat? Do they have a little bitty boat ladder, or is it a little more elaborate? I'm a plus woman in fairly decent shape (work with a trainer!).... still a little worried about how cumbersome it is to get in and out the boat...

Thanks!!

SNUBA was offered for extra $ if I recall correctly. Both boats I was on had nice ladders that were more like walking up stairs than climbing a ladder. I wouldn't sweat it.:)

I went to Molokini last week on the Four Winds II. The waters were not rough at all and the snorkeling was good. We were also able to see a ton of sea turtles. Snuba was available on the trip for an additional $49. I didn't do it, but I must admit it looked really neat and I'm sure it was worth it. Have fun!

Hi sun-lover,

We will be on PoH in May and we are doing FW-II on our 2nd day. They have 7 am checking. How did you get to Maalaea Harbor so early in the morning. Did you do two day car-rental and parked overnight?

Archived