How long to disembark at Port Canaveral?

Sourismom

We have a flight out of Orlando at 1:40 p.m. We're trying to decide if we should use the Carnival shuttle to get to the airport from the ship or rent a car from Budget, like we are doing to get from Orlando to Port Canaveral the night before the cruise. Budget would certainly be cheaper, but I'm a little concerned about whether it would be too time-consuming. Are the car-rental places totally swamped when ships get in?

Our ship was delayed a little the day we disembarked in Port canaveral, didn't dock until around 8 AM. We were off the ship and on the road by 9:30. We drove, but most of the people in our group flew out of Orlando, around 1:30, and had a lot of time to kill before they had to get on the plane. They all took a shuttle from the port to Orlando. Port canaveral is very efficient at disembarkation, in our experience.

Just as an FYI--there are fast food joints at the Orlando airport. Nathan's, and some other places. I thought the selection was extremely poor. If I had had nothing to eat, I would have been better off. I'd have been in BIG trouble tho--I get migraines if I don't eat.....

we were on the Mariner last year & went out of Port Canaveral.

You should have plenty of time to get to the airport. We waited a while to get off the ship but once it started moving it went very quickly.

in my experience, the cruise lines are great about making sure you get off the ship in accordance to when your flight leaves.

In March, when we got off the Elation, we were one of the last ones off the ship. We had to wait about 20 minutes for the Budget Shuttle to pick us up. Once at the Budget office, there was one person ahead of us in line, and because the Canaveral office is a little smaller, they didn't have any more cars in the category we reserved, so they gave us a free upgrade.

At Port Canaveral, after getting off the ship, and looking for our luggage, Porters were asking if anyone needed help, so we asked a porter to help us out. He loaded all of our luggage on a cart, and whisked us pass the line of 50 people at customs. I guess the porters have a separate line, and we walked straight to a customs agent, handed him our paper work and he waved us on. The porter wheeled our luggage out to the rental car pick-up area about a hundred yards out in the parking lot. Getting a porter was $20 well spent. He got us through the line quickly and carried all of our luggage.

We returned from our last cruise on the Elation April 19. We were off the ship and in our personal car parked at the terminal by 8:15 AM. We were amazed at how fast we were able to get off and get to our car. This cruise was our second Carnival cruise out of Port Canaveral, with similar results. (1st was last year on the Sensation).

We have a flight out of Orlando at 1:40 p.m. We're trying to decide if we should use the Carnival shuttle to get to the airport from the ship or rent a car from Budget, like we are doing to get from Orlando to Port Canaveral the night before the cruise. Budget would certainly be cheaper, but I'm a little concerned about whether it would be too time-consuming. Are the car-rental places totally swamped when ships get in?

We have done both, car rental twice and shuttle once. Shuttle although seemingly easier was more time consuming, as the shuttle will not leave the port until it is full and we were the first ones on. For the car rental, with 2 or more people it is less expensive, and although you may have to wait a few minutes for the rental shuttle to pick you up, neither time we did it did we have any delays at the rental office.

Given the choice, I would do the rental car.

Archived