Mediterranean cruise questions!

veramoore

We are travelling on Celebrity Millennium Mediterranean cruise with family of 7, 2 children 8 and 10 years.

Any tips on taking the tours with children, how much they will be able to handle.

In checking the tours and the drivers say pay in cash at the end of the tour, I am paying for all so this will be quite a bit of cash I will have to bring with me. I am uncomfortable about travelling with large amounts of cash to pay for these tours, am curious what others do!

In Florence, Athens or Rome has anyone taken a train or bus to these cities!

I am trying to plan the ports and am overwhelmed with the costs for 7 people, any sugestions!

Any other tips appreciated!!

Shamoo

I am doing the same cruise Celebrity Millenium (7/24-8/5) and I am trying to pace ourselves. We are doing the Cinque Terre excursion from the ship from Livorno (instead of Florence) since we have already been to Florence.

We are taking the "Rome of our Own" bus from the ship and then doing our own thing in Rome- Colluseum is great with kids. The forum is great with kids. The Trevi Fountain and the Borghese Park.

In Athens we are doing another tour from the ship- don't remember which one.

In Naples- I highly recommend a tour because it is a dangerous port. I would do Pompeii because it isn't all day.

I understand your apprehension about the cost. We aren't doing any tours in Dubrovnik, Santorini, or Villefrance- because I didn't want to overdue it. I think these places will be good on your own.

Are you on the July 24th sailing?

Hi. I am traveling with 1 toddler. We hired a private driver in Rome, Florence, Naples, Athens & Nice. You should be able to do the other ports by yourself. with 7 people, you are in good shape. If you hire private drivers in each port, the cost per person is probably less than if you use the excursion from the ship. Plus you will have a private van, etc. is it cheap? no way. But taking a med cruise is expensive. unfortunately the dollar is very weak vs the euro.

I will be taking Euros with me to pay the drivers, since taking that amount out on an ATM machine will be a task. Hide the money away..be safe and smart about it. Get large bills. I will lock the money in the safe once i am onboard and only bring the amount i think i will need on each port.

Hope this helps!

Larry

I am pacing myself on this ship. I am making sure not to have set plans for every port.

I think that Dubrovnick, Villefrance and Santorini would be good places to just walk around the towns. I might hop off with my son a look around- then return him to the ship and explore on my own- if he gets bored.

From what I have read- posters say not to do tours every single day.

I think that Dubrovnick, Villefrance and Santorini would be good places to just walk around the towns.

I can't speak for Santorini, but Dubrovnik and Villefranche are very nice for wandering on your own. You can't really get lost in Villefranche; if you want to get back to the ship, just go downhill. :) We wandered around the town for a while, stopping in at some place for a nice lunch and a couple of beers.

If you want to see the old city in Dubrovnik and the surrounding wall (which really is something to see), the ship has a free shuttle that drops you off right there. If you want to get out of town and into the country (which is beautiful), though, you're probably better to book a tour.

TL

Athens is not too far from the port. You can visit on your own, unless you want some tour guide to explain to you. This is what we did (with 3 kids): Took a taxi ride to visit Acropolis, from there walked down the Ancient Agora to a metro stop. Rode the metro to National Archaeological Museum. Spent several hours there, and then took the metro and walked back to the cruise.

We also did Santorini on our own: Rode the cable car up to Fira from the tender landing. Rode the bus to visit Oia. Spent a couple of hours there. Took the bus back to Fira. Did more sightseeing and shopping in Fira before returning to the cruise.

Both Rome and Florence are far from the ports. For these two, I would suggest taking tours or using the cruise ship transportation.

Hey Rebecca,

Hope to meet you on the cruise, I am Sharon and my daughter is Karen. Do you go to the cruise critic meetings. I am new to this so not up to speed yet!!

Still looking looking at all the tours.

Sharon

We will also be on the Millenium 24/7

We are a family of 10 of which 5 are kids 13, 10, 8, 7, and 3 years old. :)

We are planning to take private tour in Villefrance (quick tour of Nice, Ezze, Monaco and Cannes), Naples (Amalfi tour) and Florence (quick stop at Pisa leaning tower then tour Florence).

For Rome will be on our own taking the train to Termini station and then take Rome Open Top - Double Decker Bus for a Hop on Hop off Tour at our own pace around the major sights.

In Dubrovnick will just walk around on our own but in Santorini will rent a couple of cars and go to the beach and then to Oia and finally end the day at Fira for some shopping and dinner (we have plenty of time until the ship sail at 11pm).

For Athens we have not decided on anything yet but most likely will just stay on board or walk around in Piraus.

Our kids are well traveled and I don't think they would mind the long days at ports provided that we can take it easy and slow and we have the option to cut our days short in any of the ports.

Hope everyone would enjoy the cruise:D

I am jealous no other families have posted- same cruise for this sailing- going with daughters 6 and almost 10 -10 days and counting! CANT WAIT! I will try to post here upon our return for those of you going later.

• 2 weeks later...

veramoore:

there are lots of non-ship land tours in Italy that are great for families. You can book and pay before you leave, so you don't have to mess with cash. They will meet you at the port & take you to Rome or Florence, & for a group you could probably get a private van. We will be doing this when we go in 2008 as ship excursions are so pricey. I guess it's OK to recommend a website called tours-italy.com. (the dash is important!) They are recommended by Rick Steves & seem to have lots of family-oriented itineraries. You can also just Google "Rome tours" etc. but be sure to check up on companies before you book. Good luck & have fun!

Archived