Cameras- good buys?

fastsneakers

“Barbados is our first port and I'm hoping to find a deal on a Nikon D80”.

Don’t hold your breath, my friend.

The D80 retails at B & H in NY for about US$940 w/shipping.

I would guess you could find it on Barbados for US$1200 and maybe, maybe for US$1050, if you were real lucky.

St. Martin usually has the best deals on electronics, but if you are not shopping at a large store, be very careful that the camera is packed with a U.S. warranty. I have seen grey-market items and yes, even camera and lens knock-offs sold in those little back-street stores.

Unless you’re buying rum or a few other select items, there be no bargains on Barbados, mon.

Sorry. :(

I can only say for Barbados, I wouldn't recommend it.. Even duty free items are expensive..

I agree to try St. Maarten, but have been told that even those prices are not much different than the US, and you should just save the hardship of having to deal with them if something happens to the camera.

Hi,

We looked this January for a D80. The prices were more than here in Canada. I got one at a local shop for $1100 Cdn, which was about $400 cheaper than the best we found on the trip.

My advice, buy it b4 you go, use it to make sure all is okay. I was a pro photog for 20+ yrs and the last thing you want is to count on a new purchase to be 100% when you are on a trip. Electronics seldom fail, and Nikon is a very good manufacturer but they can fail, and if you bought it 2 stops ago and it fails? That just isn't good.

The "deals" in the Carribean on high end cameras weren't really. That's by 2 cents for you, take it or leave it.

Paul

I just purchased a Pentax K100D in St. Maarten.. got the kit with 2 lenses (18-55mm and 50-200mm).. great deal, but I think you likely can get just as good a deal in the US or online with Pentax. I paid 700.00usd and got the camera and both lenses, all the basic items in the kit plus they guy through in a nose bag and cleaning kit and I'm supposed to get a 150.00usd rebate that is on offer from Pentax.. unfortunately the guy didn't tell me I had to keep the UPC codes from all the boxes.. and I threw them out on the ship.

oh well.. I believe I still got a good deal.. (on line the camera and 1 lense is 649.00 and the zoom is 249.00 soooo)..

Archived