Skybus Airlines -Thoughts?

Some drawbacks that I see...

The Skybus Rules of Flying

(A.K.A. How we keep our tickets so darn cheap.)

1. Don’t pay for everyone else’s baggage.

On Skybus, you pay only for what you check. The first two bags are 5 bucks apiece. After that, it’s $50 a bag (yeah, so pack smartly). Less baggage means faster turnaround and cheaper tickets. Fair deal?

2. Hungry? Thirsty? Bring cash.

Most people love our full cocktail bar and food menu, but if you’re not into that, it won’t cost you a penny. Why should your ticket cost include your neighbor’s dinner? That also goes for blankets and pillows–which, by the way, you get to keep if you buy. Oh, and don’t sneak food onboard unless you brought enough for the whole plane.

They charge for food but wont let you bring you any on board with you?

3. Bring a book.

We’re not big fans of fancy in-flight entertainment systems. So grab that best seller at the airport, or buy a Sudoku puzzle onboard if you’re feeling brainy. You’ll touch down before you know it.

4. Don’t call us.

We don’t have a phone number. Seriously. We’d love to chat, but those phone banks are expensive. And a good website like skybus.com is even more convenient.

Sorry but if I need to call I want to call, like if I am stuck at the airport or something

5. Don’t be late. We won’t be.

Please arrive no later than 30 minutes before takeoff, or we’ll leave without you. Really. By that time, there won’t even be anyone to check your bag. It’s nothing against you–we just have to keep our flights on time, or things get expensive in a hurry.

6. Don’t expect an army of gate agents.

You probably won’t see any agents at the gate until boarding time. Remain calm! Just print your boarding pass at skybus.com and relish in the savings.

I dont use gate agents much but like them to be there if I need to ask something

7. Yeah, we’ve got preferred seats. Sort of.

There are no fancy reclining beds onboard, but you can pay 10 bucks extra to board our brand-new A319 airplanes before anyone else.

8. Tickets are nonrefundable.

Refunding a ticket costs everyone, so we don’t allow it. Of course, our tickets are so cheap it wouldn’t have been much of a refund anyway. If you need to change a ticket, your punishment for breaking a date with us is $40.

Although SkyBus has not received its FAA certification, indications are such that they will in due time. The money for all purchases made before cert. is held in escrow so that if by some chance they are not flying on the date you booked, you will be refunded your money. They are also assisting in re-booking if that happens. Personally, as a Columbus resident, I am thrilled they are here! The thoughts of booking for $10 each segment is great! Especially since they fly to Ft. Lauderdale. Makes the thought of booking a few more cruises more feasable.

This airline is really taking air travel to the bone. That $10 fare could end up costing you 3x to 4x that amount (or more) by the time you are done. And unless you are flying from Columbus, you would have to double that (and that's only one way). I am skeptical. They seem to be nickle and diming to death on everything. I wonder if the lav is a pay toilet? They won't attract many business travellers on those flights and I doubt there is much demand for Columbus to Richmond traffic or Columbus to NH. This airline makes the king of the no frills flight (Southwest) look like a luxury airline. I just have my doubts that this airline will be around in 5 years. JMHO.

Flew a similar airline (Allegiant Air flying MD-80 series aircraft) from Youngstown, OH to Sanford (Orlando), FL in March. No frills, no seat assignment until check in (unless you pay extra), pay for soda and snacks in flight, no first class/business. It was great! i wouldn't fly Skybus since they fly Airbus aircraft, which I find to be flying cattle cars, don't care for the airplane, but the concept is great. The smaller airports aren't nearly as crowded, security and check in is usually a breeze, you can read a little about my experience in my Radiance review if you'd like.

OBTW, we flew to SFB for 79 bucks each leg from YNG, and the airplane was full in both directions. If you offer the price, you fill the seats.

Being from Columbus (which is the hub for this airline) we have been hearing about Skybus quite a bit the past week! It seems to be very convenient to book cheap airfare because of the way the website is set up. The no frills option seems to go a little overboard in my opinion. You are not permitted to take any food or drink onboard, it must be purchased from them. A local newspaper did some research on it and here is what they found. The planes they are using are brand new! The pilots they are hiring are starting at $65,000 (1/2 the rate of competing airlines)! So, do you put more faith in the equipment or the man behind it??? We think we will wait a little while to make that decision!!

Flew a similar airline (Allegiant Air flying MD-80 series aircraft) from Youngstown, OH to Sanford (Orlando), FL in March. No frills, no seat assignment until check in (unless you pay extra), pay for soda and snacks in flight, no first class/business. It was great! i wouldn't fly Skybus since they fly Airbus aircraft, which I find to be flying cattle cars, don't care for the airplane, but the concept is great. The smaller airports aren't nearly as crowded, security and check in is usually a breeze, you can read a little about my experience in my Radiance review if you'd like.

OBTW, we flew to SFB for 79 bucks each leg from YNG, and the airplane was full in both directions. If you offer the price, you fill the seats.

Ok this is pretty funny. I have worked in the back on both the 737 and the A320....Let me tell you the A320 blows the 737 out of the water for both ease and comfort.....Airbus makes a GREAT product for passenger comfort.

Being from Columbus I am thrilled that Skybus arrived. The only $10 tickets I could cash in on right now are to Richmond but I figure that will give us a good idea if we will like it. We ALWAYS have to change planes somewhere - now maybe we won't!

Archived