Anaeho'omalu Bay Beach or Kahulu'u Beach Park?

Hollyster2

Here's a second vote for Anaeho'omalu Bay. We always stay in the Marriot Waikaloan because of its access. We have had some great dives from that bay.

Charlie

I will agree with "A" Bay, great amenities and there is excellent snorkeling, sea turtles, small beach, a short walk on the left side (over the lava) out to the point.

Thank you for helping me with this! All opinions welcome! Anyone care to share where they ate, had a drink, rented equipment?

"A" Bay, directly across the street from the Marriott is the King's Shops Mall, shopping, restaurants, Food Court, ABC Store, etc. You can rent snorkel equipment, bogie boards, kayaks, etc. right on the beach at Ocean Sports.

http://www.hawaiioceansports.com/map_waikoloa.aspx

kings_shops.jpg

I am really excited to hear such great things about this as I have selected Kona Beach Blast as one of my excursions. We're gonna have fun no matter what! Here is the description:

Anaehoomalu Bay, or "A-Bay" as the locals call it, is a natural marine life preserve and one of the most beautiful beaches on the Big Island. The sand is a salt and pepper mix of coral and volcanic rock, and the entrance to the beach is through a lava desert. Your beach blast begins with a 30-minute scenic drive via air-conditioned motorcoach displaying views across the unique lava fields of the Kohala Coast. Whether you want to try kayaking, snorkeling or biking across the sheltered bay on floating hydro-bikes, the day is yours to enjoy. You can even discover the underwater world of Anaehoomalu Bay by boarding the glass-bottomed boat with a fully narrated tour over protected coral gardens viewing unique tropical fish and endangered green sea turtles. Note: We recommend you wear a swimsuit and bring a towel. A water cooler will be provided throughout the day along with a delicious boxed lunch. Glass-bottom boat rides last 20 minutes per trip

Which of these beach excursions would you recommend? We are thinking of taking the Anaeho'omalu excursion through the ship or the Kahulu'u trip through via shuttle. Anyone have any input on either or these?

Kahalu'u is closer to the ship, will be more crowded, is smaller, but has abundent fish, usually is clear enough for good visibility, almost always has turtles and has lifeguards. Restrooms are usually okay. Keahou Beach hotel is next door and has an adequate lunch place, but there's not much else in the area that is easy to get to. You can walk up to the Keahou Shopping Center. It is usually very calm (behind an old fish pond wall) and is easy entry for kids or non-swimmers. Traffic isn't going to be a major factor in getting back to the pier - it is only about 3 or 4 miles - you can walk it if you have to.

A-Bay has more amenities in that there are hotels (the Marriott is right on the beach there, and the Hilton is about a quarter mile away) and very up-market condos in the area, but can be both rough (especially in winter) and murky. Turtles are around but harder to find, reef is out in pretty deep water. Beach is larger, IMHO, prettier, and there are more 'services' and better showers and restrooms available to the public. There's a food court in the shopping center across the street (and a new shopping center being built) and there are beach side restaurants at both hotels as well. However, it is about an hour from the pier, more when we have traffic, and I'd recommend a ship's tour as they will wait for you in case the traffic is really bad or there's a wreck or some other delay between you and the pier. The activities and rentals are not cheap here, either.

Both places are good in their own way, so it is mostly a decision about what you want to do and how much you are willing to pay for it...

The water at "A" bay isn't as clear as other beaches. I forget why but it has something to do with water temperatures mixing. Regardless, it is a great place!!! Very protected and close to facilities. Mai Tais are right behind you at the Marriott. The ponds behind the beach are neat to check out as well.

i am on the cruise next week and i rented a car in kahului,maui i want to go to the marriot hotel it looks really nice there,i booked a luau at old lahaina is that close by?im on the pride of aloha?thank you:)

No, Lahaina is across the island from Kahului. It is about a 45 minute to 1 hour drive one-way, and can be longer at various times of day (commute, if you will) or if there is construction on 30 (as there has been recently). Several members have reported the drive has taken them well over an hour (as long as 90 minutes). So, leave plenty of time to get to Lahaina for the luau.

Which Marriott are you talking about on Maui? Do you mean the one on Ka'anapali Beach? (I don't know if there are others, hence the question.) Is there some reason you want to go there for the day? Again, I ask because unless you have special privileges, you won't be able to use the resort facilities (pools, etc.) and, as all the beaches are already public, you will have access to the beach regardless. Could you clarify your plans?

To get an idea of distance and location, I suggest you get a good map of the islands. That's the best way to visualize things.

beachchick

• 3 years later...

Okay...bumping this up...Anaehoomalu Bay Beach- this is a POA beach excursion. Can someone tell me how crowded it gets? We had done an excursion to the beach in Jamaica and we were told to stay between the ropes. The chairs were just about touching each other and about 8 rows deep. Needless to say...it was less than enjoyable. So...with that said...How does Anaehoomalu Bay Beach compare? Just looking to have a nice quiet day relaxing on the beach. Also...are there chairs? Would your recommend the "Kona Beach Blast" or just the beach transfers?

Archived