First time cruising

cyberjelly

Hi

I've just spent the morning looking at the boards and still feel no further on with our choice of cruise. We are planning a cruise for July 2008 around the med with 2 of our children (will be 5 and 9). We can't decide between the Ventura magical mediteranean or RCL Italian / med cruise both are for 14 nights and are around the same price, we are wanting an outside cabin with balcony.

We dislike Butlin type holidays immensely and like a mix between relaxing and activity style holidays so I think a cruise will be perfect and the family is very excited at the thought. So our wishlist would be - good kids clubs, grown up stuff for us - spa, bars, pools, good food and a great ship with excellent service. We would also like to buy a soft drinks package for the kids (like RCL) but would also like to know how much drinks are - a can of pepsi? Or a child's soft drink? Where abouts on the ship are the best cabins - a higher or lower deck, port or starboard, front or back?

I would love to tap into all your knowledge and love to hear what you would reccommend - P&O or RCL? I have no idea and cabins are going fast on both!!!

Many thanks from a confused and worried mum!

For P+O 2006 Drinks prices try

http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/welovecruising/files/P%26O%20Drinks%20Menu/

(its a yahoo group and you will probably have to join to view it - but they are quite friendly :) - they will also probably be able to answer some of your other concerns )

Been on P+O twice - never seen Butlins at Sea - but then not been with kids :D

Karen

Hi

I've just spent the morning looking at the boards and still feel no further on with our choice of cruise. We are planning a cruise for July 2008 around the med with 2 of our children (will be 5 and 9). We can't decide between the Ventura magical mediteranean or RCL Italian / med cruise both are for 14 nights and are around the same price, we are wanting an outside cabin with balcony.

We dislike Butlin type holidays immensely and like a mix between relaxing and activity style holidays so I think a cruise will be perfect and the family is very excited at the thought. So our wishlist would be - good kids clubs, grown up stuff for us - spa, bars, pools, good food and a great ship with excellent service. We would also like to buy a soft drinks package for the kids (like RCL) but would also like to know how much drinks are - a can of pepsi? Or a child's soft drink? Where abouts on the ship are the best cabins - a higher or lower deck, port or starboard, front or back?

I would love to tap into all your knowledge and love to hear what you would reccommend - P&O or RCL? I have no idea and cabins are going fast on both!!!

If this helps this why I like P&O

If you consider me a seasoned P&O cruiser, 8 cruises, 2 booked, 1 to book next week. then I will tell you what I think.

First I have never claimed that P&O was the best cruise line. The concept of 'best' is so subjective. I have no doubt that there are newer, bigger, more luxurious and better staffed ships somewhere in the world. There are for instance a number of 6 star ships which most people would say were better, but not all.

For me I can say why P&O suites us.

1. They have a range of ships which are different to each other. Each having its own character. Many cruise lines have groups of ships which are Identical, Princess, RCI, NCL
  2. P&O offer a very wide range of cruises and each ship offers a range of cruises. There is no short term pattern, although there can be a yearly pattern eg Oriana/Aurora to Madeira at New Year and USA in September. Many of the other cruise lines have each ship with one or two itinerary's which they do all the time.
  3. Many cruises from Southampton from March to December.
  4. World cruises (this one still to come).
  5. Many longer cruises 21 days +
  6. Using Sterling.
  7. Tea and coffee making facilities in the cabin.
  8. No midnight buffet.
  9. Excellent standard of Ships.
  10. Many cruises with lots of sea days. We are looking at a 16 night cruise with only 7 ports. We love sea days and would not like port intensive cruises.
  11. Christmas on board. Everyone I read or speak to say P&O do this so well.
  12. New Year in Madeira.
  13. The staff we have had nothing else but excellent service.

This list is not exclusive yet and not in any order.

I have no doubt that some of the above could be said of other lines but not all, especially 10, 5, 3, 2, 1.

Other comments are on this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=543222

Never seen Butlins on Sea either.

Hope that helps.

:) :) Happy Cruising:) :)

:cool:

Dai

If I was you I'd pick Ventura.

She will be a lovely brand new ship in 2008 - launched in the spring of 08, she is designed for all ages, and ofcourse if you sail from Southampton - very important issue -NO BAGGAGE RESTRICTIONS!!!! You can take as many cases as you want for your family, unlike flycruises. And free car parking too if you book soon.

I am going to try her for the weekender on Sept 12th 08, but as my kids are grown up now, I prefer child free ships, and will take my longer cruises on Arcadia.

Sue

Hi,:)

I have been on RCI Legend of the Seas and loved it and so did my children (15 &12). I have friends who have done several cruises on P&O and have defected to RCI because they feel it is more relaxed for children. The kids love all the activities such as the rock wall etc on sea days.On RCI the children have soda package £28 for 2 weeks and free ice cream. However, they do get tempted by Ben & Jerry's that costs a bomb!!

I cannot compare as I have not done P&O, although we are booked on Ventura because it looks like a family orientated ship.

I'm sure that you'll love any of the ships, cruising is just so fab! ;)

Happy Sailing,

Heather.

Hi

i know exactly what you mean as i too have been in this position!

The new RCI ship looks amazing and appears to be totally geared up for family's.

I have 2 children 4 and 6 and took them on their first cruise last year on Sea Princess. I have booked venturer for 2008 for a variety of reasons.

It was almost £1000 cheaper for the same itinery as RCI

My girls can stay together in the kids club as they are within the right age bands and are excited about the circus school!

I've long wanted to try P&O for all the reasons that the many people on this board are so enthused about(see other threads)

Oh and Noddy!!!!!!!!!(bit of a standing joke on this board!

etc,etc

However we had a great time on Sea Princess last year and if its your thing it is the only cruise line prepared to look after your kids for free on board while you get off.

I would consider myself and family to be fairly well traveled and we have stayed in some fantastic places but for me a family cruise has been the best family holiday we have EVER had......as a mum you will actually get a break! i didnt want to come home!!!!!

Hope this might help some.

Lou

Hi,

I haven't cruised P&O yet so cannot advise on them, but I have heard that RCI are very family orientated with lots of things for children to do, (ice skating, rock climbing, flowrider on the new big ships). That being said the Ventura is being marketed as a family ship so I am sure you would be fine on this one should you so choose. Have you looked at the reviews on the Oceana as I believe that is a family ship & might give you an idea of what people think as they normally give detailed info on child facilities if applicable, although Ventura should have more facilities.

With regards to cabins, personally with it being your first one, I would choose a midship, lower down cabin (less movement), also central to most places you want to go.

Believe me whichever of these lines you choose it will not be like Butlins, otherwise I would have stopped cruising years ago!

Have a great time & believe me, the impression of your first cruise will never fade, it's magical.

Lisa:)

Hi

I've just spent the morning looking at the boards and still feel no further on with our choice of cruise. We are planning a cruise for July 2008 around the med with 2 of our children (will be 5 and 9). We can't decide between the Ventura magical mediterranean or RCL Italian / med cruise both are for 14 nights and are around the same price, we are wanting an outside cabin with balcony.

We dislike Butlin type holidays immensely and like a mix between relaxing and activity style holidays so I think a cruise will be perfect and the family is very excited at the thought. So our wish list would be - good kids clubs, grown up stuff for us - spa, bars, pools, good food and a great ship with excellent service. We would also like to buy a soft drinks package for the kids (like RCL) but would also like to know how much drinks are - a can of pepsi? Or a child's soft drink? Where abouts on the ship are the best cabins - a higher or lower deck, port or starboard, front or back?

I would love to tap into all your knowledge and love to hear what you would recommend - P&O or RCL? I have no idea and cabins are going fast on both!!!

I have just had a great Idea:cool:. Go on both 2 weeks each back to back:D.

It certainly appeals to me:D

Happy Cruising

Dai

Thanks so much everyone for taking the time to reply to my post, we received RCL and P&O dvds and brochures on cruising and after much discussion with my hubbie and thinking about your suggestions on here we have actually gone and booked our first cruise. We have chosen P&O's Ventura Magical mediteranean July (2008)cruise as we got a really good price, we searched the internet, got the best online price we could then took it to our local travel agent who managed to beat even that. Also because the big kids activities on RCL won't really interest our litle ones - rock wall and wave rider. So we have booked an outside cabin with balcony for the 4 of us on Ventura. We really wanted to take our 17 year old too but he wants go backpacking with his school friends round Europe after A levels and prefers the backpacking hostels to a luxury cruise.

We can't WAIT!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, well i've only bee on on one cruise on the Golden Princess, so i'm a newbie, but I had a room with a balcony which I absolutely loved....it basically added square footage to your room. My roommate and I pretty much left our door open the whole time (except for the night) and it kept things wonderfully cool in our room with the ocean breeze. I highly recommend getting a room in the middle as you won't feel the sway of the ship as much. I hope you have fun on whichever trip you decide. I'm in the same "boat" myself trying to figure out which cruise I want to go on next year. Good luck!

Keri

Atlanta, GA

1st cruise-Golden Princes-Western European Capitals (June 2005)

2nd cruise-Somewhere to Europe-Sometime in 2008

• 4 weeks later...

just been on my first on p&o ORIANA, we can honestly say it's the first holiday we ever had when we did not want to go home,absolutely fantantastic, briil,camr home went to book for 2008 next day can't wait,every-one not the same ,if you don't try you'll never know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

happy cruiseing????

We are all the same!

I only started crusing last May 06, like you came back home and within 5 days booked my next big cruise 14n Med back on Arcadia - we go in 19 days and just as excited as I was before the 1st. Also have had a weekender on Aurora inbetween these two cruises, and have already booked 2 more for 2008 - Venice on Arcadia for 16n , and trying the new Ventura on a weekender 12-14 Sept 08.

Ummmmm, I have a week off work this Sept 1st, wait-listed for a 7n Oriana cruise as well.

It is a addiction I am afraid:D

just been on my first on p&o ORIANA, we can honestly say it's the first holiday we ever had when we did not want to go home,absolutely fantantastic, briil,camr home went to book for 2008 next day can't wait,every-one not the same ,if you don't try you'll never know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

happy cruiseing????

Well Old Git,

You certainly have had a great time, what a wonderful endorsement for P&O. Of course you now realise that you are now hooked, for life:D

I bet I know your worst moment, when you were waiting to get off on the last morning. On our first cruise I was in a state of depression it was awful. I avoid this now by never going on a cruise without having at least one more booked.

:)Happy Cruising:)

Dai

I am of the same opinion, only booked first trila cruise on Arcadia in 2005 and now can't wait to go on another. Went to Canaries last year and booked for Venice May 2008 Waht fun it is. Cruising

We are all the same!

I only started crusing last May 06, like you came back home and within 5 days booked my next big cruise 14n Med back on Arcadia - we go in 19 days and just as excited as I was before the 1st. Also have had a weekender on Aurora inbetween these two cruises, and have already booked 2 more for 2008 - Venice on Arcadia for 16n , and trying the new Ventura on a weekender 12-14 Sept 08.

Ummmmm, I have a week off work this Sept 1st, wait-listed for a 7n Oriana cruise as well.

It is a addiction I am afraid:D

We went to the Canaries last year and thoroughly ejoyed ourselves, a lot depends upon your fellow travellers but the it's a holiday and should be fun.

I am of the same opinion, only booked first trila cruise on Arcadia in 2005 and now can't wait to go on another. Went to Canaries last year and booked for Venice May 2008 Waht fun it is. Cruising

i'm certainly excited about our first cruise on Oriana in July!!:) :) Notice that some of you have been to the Canaries, where we're going. Any tips or suggestions on tours etc, DH has limited walking so we have to take that into account. Thanks for all your help, it's great!

I have a photosite of my canaries cruise on:

www.sveale.photosite.com have a look

which ports are you visiting? Maderia you can do on your own, ship berths near the prom, walk to the cable car and take it up the mountain to the gardens at Monte, take the famous sledges down if you fancy, or come back down in the cable car again. Nice shops, plenty to see, no need for a organised trip here.

Any questions, just ask

Sue

i'm certainly excited about our first cruise on Oriana in July!!:) :) Notice that some of you have been to the Canaries, where we're going. Any tips or suggestions on tours etc, DH has limited walking so we have to take that into account. Thanks for all your help, it's great!

Hi Topcruise,

I also have problems with walking, in each of the ports you go to P&O will have tours designed for those of us who cannot walk far and there is a little man walking drawing, in the excursions booklet. If he is walking on the flat then there is little walking on the tour. In the Canaries this can be less than 200 yards. Often the furthest you walk is at the ship to get the bus.

In Teneriffe you can get a shuttle bus to the dock entrance and it is a short walk to the centre of the town.

The other possibility is to get a taxi from the ship, but you need to know where you are going. Although you can go for a 2/3 hour ride but agree the price first. This can be cheaper than the ships tour, better if there are 4 of you.

Dai

Hi Topcruise,

I also have problems with walking, in each of the ports you go to P&O will have tours designed for those of us who cannot walk far and there is a little man walking drawing, in the excursions booklet. If he is walking on the flat then there is little walking on the tour. In the Canaries this can be less than 200 yards. Often the furthest you walk is at the ship to get the bus.

In Teneriffe you can get a shuttle bus to the dock entrance and it is a short walk to the centre of the town.

The other possibility is to get a taxi from the ship, but you need to know where you are going. Although you can go for a 2/3 hour ride but agree the price first. This can be cheaper than the ships tour, better if there are 4 of you.

Dai

i'll see you on board mate we're on j813 hope it's as good as oriana!!!!!!!!!

libralass we're going on same cruise in july is arcadia as good or better than oriana????

Hi Old Git,

Arcadia is a great ship, Oriana is a great ship, to say you like one better than the other is very subjective. We have been on 4 P&O ships and have booked for 2 more this year. We liked all of them. All have their own character.

I say that the best cruise ship in the world is the one you are on. This has certainly been true for us so far.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

Dai

Libralass and Dai, thanks for replying. the ports are Vigo, Lisbon, Tenerife, Gran Canaria, La Palma, Lanzarote and Maderia. I've reserved some tours ,mostly cause you know what to expect ( I hope! ) from the symbols in the excursions booklet. Just wondering if you had enjoyed any of the tours if you had taken them. Some don't appeal to us, and we would like to enjoy all the ship has to offer. for some ports we'll maybe just wait and see what is 'doable' if the towns or beach are close to the port.

Thanks again!

Old Git

libralass we're going on same cruise in july is arcadia as good or better than oriana????

Not been on Oriana - yet, may go on her this September...

Arcadia is lovely in her own way - Aldult only, Contempoary and reasonably new, I am sure you will have a great time, did you look at my photos?? PICCIES of ship on the website: www.sveale.photosite.com

Sue

Libralass and Dai, thanks for replying. the ports are Vigo, Lisbon, Tenerife, Gran Canaria, La Palma, Lanzarote and Maderia. I've reserved some tours ,mostly cause you know what to expect ( I hope! ) from the symbols in the excursions booklet. Just wondering if you had enjoyed any of the tours if you had taken them. Some don't appeal to us, and we would like to enjoy all the ship has to offer. for some ports we'll maybe just wait and see what is 'doable' if the towns or beach are close to the port.

Thanks again!

Hi TopCruise

A good idea for Lisbon is the open topped bus which starts, just across the road from where the shuttle bus drops you.

If you have time Afternoon Tea at Reids in Madeira is very nice but you have to book. It is only a short taxi ride from the town centre or the ship.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

Dai

Archived