QE2 Dock New York where is she now?

Anteeta

Can someone help me please? I was watching the QE2 arrive in NY this am; it brought back very happy memories of a similar April morning in 2003. The skyline with the sun rising was spectacular and will live with me forever.

But where, precisely, is the QE2 currently docked? I've been looking on Google earth to check the locality (with future trip in mind) but I'm not clear where the new terminal is located. And I know that Google earth isn't live, but it serves well to check out what the general area is about.

Many thanks

Anita

Can someone help me please? I was watching the QE2 arrive in NY this am; it brought back very happy memories of a similar April morning in 2003. The skyline with the sun rising was spectacular and will live with me forever.

But where, precisely, is the QE2 currently docked? I've been looking on Google earth to check the locality (with future trip in mind) but I'm not clear where the new terminal is located. And I know that Google earth isn't live, but it serves well to check out what the general area is about.

Many thanks

Anita

Brooklyn. The Red Hook Terminal, facing north. If you look reeeealy hard you can see the Brooklyn Bridge in the upper left hand corner.

She's docked at the new :mad: Red Hook terminal in Brooklyn. There is a website that has 8 webcams showing Gov. island etc, which gives you a great view of the ship, but it doesn't seem to be working today for some reason. She'll have to turn before sailing out at 5pm (10 pm here so keep watching!

Hudson River cam has been down a while :( Empire state building cam will show a view between the buildings, but due to low cloud today, nothing to see but mist/fog.

I have managed to find these two pictures of her arriving this morning. They are from the Statue of Liberty earthcam.

1177700275.jpg.4307fdd24d66f909eb3d893a4e6da666.jpg

1177700305.jpg.dfbd9cbdf2b008894df68908c53d289e.jpg

If she is facing north she is the first ship to come in facing that way. Every other ship has backed im since the tides and channel around Governors Island makes it impossible to go around that way. I may take a ride down and see if it clears some more,....

She will have to back out...

Hudson River cam has been down a while :( Empire state building cam will show a view between the buildings, but due to low cloud today, nothing to see but mist/fog.

I have managed to find these two pictures of her arriving this morning. They are from the Statue of Liberty earthcam.

Really great to see them!

If she is facing north she is the first ship to come in facing that way. Every other ship has backed im since the tides and channel around Governors Island makes it impossible to go around that way. I may take a ride down and see if it clears some more,....

She will have to back out...

How far does she have to back out before she can turn around? Do you know? Bet you do.

How far does she have to back out before she can turn around? Do you know? Bet you do.

The turning channel is right in front of the statute of liberty. It backs up the back turns west and then North around Governors Island and then it goes ahead again.....its not far. The whole thing is probably less than a mile(1.6 kilometers)

The turning channel is right in front of the statute of liberty. It backs up the back turns west and then North around Governors Island and then it goes ahead again.....its not far. The whole thing is probably less than a mile(1.6 kilometers)

Actually, I watched it. This is what I saw. She backed up and up (or back and back!), turned east, towards the lower part of Brooklyn. Then headed straight towards the Narrows, then fired up those engines and it was full steam ahead and the rest of you get out of the way.

She actually caught up and passed a few ships near the Bridge. She rocks. <yay>

Actually, I watched it. This is what I saw. She backed up and up (or back and back!), turned east, towards the lower part of Brooklyn. Then headed straight towards the Narrows, then fired up those engines and it was full steam ahead and the rest of you get out of the way.

She actually caught up and passed a few ships near the Bridge. She rocks. <yay>

I was at the dock around 5. The mist was starting to come in across the harbor...and the one thing I noticed was how small and low on the water the QE2 seems compared to other newer ships...not that smaller is worse I prefer smaller but it is so different from the newer ships.

I was at the dock around 5. The mist was starting to come in across the harbor...and the one thing I noticed was how small and low on the water the QE2 seems compared to other newer ships...not that smaller is worse I prefer smaller but it is so different from the newer ships.

Interesting! I know she is smaller height-wise than many others, and yes, looks smaller in comparision to those mega-ships but she made the Terminal look like a mouse hole. And then when she showed herself to be so much faster than some others ahead of her heading thru the Verrazano Bridge "underpass", she ruled. They may have let her go first, but even with just watching via the bridgecam, she was kicking their collective butts.

Sorry, I've gotten carried away about speed rather than size. My bridgecam observation was Small But Mighty! and She Kicks Your Butt! She is a true ocean liner, after all.

Uh Oh. Butts two times in the description. Let me just say I was impressed and remain a humble servant. :p And, if I may, wonder why on earth was she in Brooklyn/Red Hook??

... :p And, if I may, wonder why on earth was she in Brooklyn/Red Hook??
Cunard is using this new terminal as its home port. It really is much easier than Manhattan- once you get there. Its a nice terminal that they spent $65,000,000 on. NY doesn't do anything small. The Manhattan piers are being redone. Once you have your logistics set up somewhere(as Cunard does) its easier than changing back and forth. They are only about 5 miles away from the Manhattan Cruise terminal anyway. I have left both from the Manhattan and Brooklyn one and the Brooklyn one most times is infinitely easier. The number of berths in Manhattan is being cut from 5 to 3 and at least one more is scheduled to be added in Brooklyn(I posted a while back that NY City has also obtained a third berth in Brooklyn but their is some controversy on the number of full time good paying shore-side jobs that are being created against the number being displaced but that is way to long to get into here)...

It was quite a surprise seeing her berthed today facing north! I have never seen this before for any ship in Red Hook.

Upon further investigation it emerged that when they berthed in Red Hook in January facing south they had problems lining up the gangways with her shell doors, whereas facing north they can position the gangway very nicely at the After Lobby (Deck 2 aft).

As always, it was great to see the old girl... I hadn't seen her since January when she was in LA.

As others mentioned, she is not as tall as the new ships. For those of us who saw QE2 and QM2 side-by-side at the West Side piers back in 2004, this really hit home! The height difference is by far the most noticeable, much more so than e.g. the length difference.

What surprised me at the time is that the top of QM2's funnel is not all that much higher than the top of QE2's - it is just that QE2's funnel itself is much taller as opposed to the little stubby thing on QM2.

QM2 is a nice ship but my loyalty still rests with QE2... I was fortunate enough to be able to go aboard to see some friends and QE2 feels like home. I can't wait to be back aboard in January.

The one thing I noticed was how small and low on the water the QE2 seems compared to other newer ships

Funny - on out first trip on QE2 we were astonished at how big she was; how far you had to walk to get from one end to the other. Now, as cruise ships go, she's small:(

What surprised me at the time is that the top of QM2's funnel is not all that much higher than the top of QE2's - it is just that QE2's funnel itself is much taller as opposed to the little stubby thing on QM2.

The reason for QM2's stubby funnel is quite simple, they had to make it shorter so she would fit under the Verrazano Bridge. If memory serves me right, there is only 3 meters (10 feet) from the top of her funnel to the bottom of the bridge.

The reason for QM2's stubby funnel is quite simple, they had to make it shorter so she would fit under the Verrazano Bridge. If memory serves me right, there is only 3 meters (10 feet) from the top of her funnel to the bottom of the bridge.

I understand why QM2's is stubby - I was just surprised that QE2's is so tall it is not so far short of the top of QM2's (or at least didn't look that way). I knew it was tall, but not that tall :) !

Archived