QM2 dress code

craigtomer

Hi- We are booked on the QM2 Nov 30th out of New york to the caribbean, we been on other ships before, mostly RCL but never on cunard before.

according to the brochure the dress at dinner seems to be quite formal. Has anyone been on the QM2 to the caribbean who can give us some guidance? How closely is the dress code followed?

Thanks for your help!

T & C

Hi- We are booked on the QM2 Nov 30th out of New york to the caribbean, we been on other ships before, mostly RCL but never on cunard before.

according to the brochure the dress at dinner seems to be quite formal. Has anyone been on the QM2 to the caribbean who can give us some guidance? How closely is the dress code followed?

Thanks for your help!

T & C

Follow the dress code - that is what it is for.

Whilst I cannot comment on the caribbean, on Queen Elizabeth 2 the code is followed - and no-one changes back into day dress after dinner.

I'm hoping the standards are being maintained on the Mary.

Matthew

Thanks for your help!

T & C

Hi T & C:

I did the 7 day Caribbean on the QM2 last December so can give you my thoughts. First, Cunard is a tad more formal than other mass market lines but its the formality that actually draw those who prefer Cunard. That doesn't mean stuffy and not able to wear jeans during the day but it does mean you should expect more formal nights than on Carnival or RCI and more of a throw back to the classy days of ocean crossings when it comes to the evening on the ship. Yes, even on the Caribbean cruise which is still less formal than the transatlantic from what I hear.

On my 7 day cruise out of Fort Lauderdale we had 3 formal, 1 informal and 3 casual which is really dress or business casual. It is suggested that a tuxedo be worn for formal nights but you can easily get away with a dark business suit. I would say the men were split 50-50 on that matter on formal night and I even say some Scottish men in formal kilts and regalia. Informal is basically a sports coat and tie with dark pants.

Is it followed rigorously? Well I don't think anyone dared actually so I haven't seen anyone get kicked out but I have heard such stories. The reality is that the crowd on a Queen respect it as a Queen.

But hey don't fret. Its a suit for 3 or 4 nights for a 10 day cruise. What you will love about the QM2 is the spectacular Britannia dining room (unless you are doing the Grill accomodations) and you'll find the food the best of any of the mass market cruise lines out there. The experience is well worth the little effort you have to make to dress up.

All I can say is go and enjoy. You'll enjoy the ship and the dining experience. Its a class act but far from snobby.

David

Thanks for your help!

T & C

G'day T&C!

My husband and I will also be on this cruise. Please visit the Roll Call Forum and tell us a little bit about yourself.

Looking forward to meeting you in person.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=459844

This is my first Cunard cruise. I believe the dress code on their cruises

are followed.

Marleneann.

T&C,

If you dare to show up not dressed to the nines (and you WILL wear your formal underwear...or else! They have ways of knowing!) They will sic Matthew on you. and he'll growl at you til the cows come home!

<LOL>

Don't get too uptight. The Qe2 crowd think there should be nothing short of death for not dressing to their standards! It IS a very dressy ship at night. People enjoy it, as David said, for that very reason. Some want the pomp of formal dining and dressing. You feel so much more special dressed up. And I'm afraid, unless you do Ballroom dancing or a lot of charity affairs, you don't get a lot of chances to dress that way in the US these days.

There are a few people on this board who, unfortunately, get a bit snippy and almost drive people away. They are so concerned about folks driving the standards down until it is no better and no more special than Carnival that they tend to go a bit overboard with admonishments. These are their beloved Queens, they ARE more special than average.

Think of it as going to a very very nice restaurant. You wouldn't wear what you'd wear to McDonalds!

I realize the dress codes can be a bit confusing, and even inconsistent. We'll help you out here, if you are not sure. But be prepared. Dress is one of the hot buttons on this forum! Just take some of the more overbearing and obdurate amongst us with a grain of salt. They mean well. They just don't want to see the atmosphere on our lovely and gracious ladies approach that of a ...well... a carnival!

From The Free Dictionary.com:

stick·ler play_w("S0754900") (stibreve.gifkprime.giflschwa.gifr)n.1. One who insists on something unyieldingly: a stickler for neatness.

2. Something puzzling or difficult.

hm();Sources=Sources | 2;The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

ThesaurusLegend: Synonyms Related Words Antonyms

Noun1.stickler - someone who insists on something; "a stickler for promptness"disciplinarian, martinet, moralist - someone who demands exact conformity to rules and forms

Dress nicely (Jackets are not optional most nights, but no one ever said you had to leave it on to drag it across the gravy boat while eating. In the Caribbean, there are more informal and casual nights, owing to the oppressive heat, and yes, the freer atmosphere. Remember that many of our British crossers and European cruisers have not really done much (if any) Caribbean, in fact, many have no desire to do the Caribbean. So their views are somewhat colored by the lack of experience (or desire to experience) the Caribbean.

One day, I fear, they'll mistaken get on the wrong ship, head for the Caribbean and be like the stodgy librarian experiencing her first kiss! They'll tear the tight bun down and let their hair flow loosely on their shoulders (figuratively speaking of course!) and now that the beast has been set free, will suddenly show up at the dining room doors on formal night in thongs and cut-off jeans shorts, a rose in their teeth, growling with passion, juggling mangoes and wearing a jaunty straw hat. HORRORS!:eek:

What a vision!!

I think I have to lie down. I do believe I am getting the vapors!

Karie,

who likes to tweak Matthew's and Malcolm's and Song and Dance from New Hampshire's noses sometimes. They are MUCH too stressed and stiff and downright ANGRY about this sometimes!

T&C,

If you dare to show up not dressed to the nines (and you WILL wear your formal underwear...or else! They have ways of knowing!) They will sic Matthew on you. and he'll growl at you til the cows come home!

<LOL>

Don't get too uptight. The Qe2 crowd think there should be nothing short of death for not dressing to their standards! It IS a very dressy ship at night. People enjoy it, as David said, for that very reason. Some want the pomp of formal dining and dressing. You feel so much more special dressed up. And I'm afraid, unless you do Ballroom dancing or a lot of charity affairs, you don't get a lot of chances to dress that way in the US these days.

There are a few people on this board who, unfortunately, get a bit snippy and almost drive people away. They are so concerned about folks driving the standards down until it is no better and no more special than Carnival that they tend to go a bit overboard with admonishments. These are their beloved Queens, they ARE more special than average.

Think of it as going to a very very nice restaurant. You wouldn't wear what you'd wear to McDonalds!

I realize the dress codes can be a bit confusing, and even inconsistent. We'll help you out here, if you are not sure. But be prepared. Dress is one of the hot buttons on this forum! Just take some of the more overbearing and obdurate amongst us with a grain of salt. They mean well. They just don't want to see the atmosphere on our lovely and gracious ladies approach that of a ...well... a carnival!

From The Free Dictionary.com:

Dress nicely (Jackets are not optional most nights, but no one ever said you had to leave it on to drag it across the gravy boat while eating. In the Caribbean, there are more informal and casual nights, owing to the oppressive heat, and yes, the freer atmosphere. Remember that many of our British crossers and European cruisers have not really done much (if any) Caribbean, in fact, many have no desire to do the Caribbean. So their views are somewhat colored by the lack of experience (or desire to experience) the Caribbean.

One day, I fear, they'll mistaken get on the wrong ship, head for the Caribbean and be like the stodgy librarian experiencing her first kiss! They'll tear the tight bun down and let their hair flow loosely on their shoulders (figuratively speaking of course!) and now that the beast has been set free, will suddenly show up at the dining room doors on formal night in thongs and cut-off jeans shorts, a rose in their teeth, growling with passion, juggling mangoes and wearing a jaunty straw hat. HORRORS!:eek:

What a vision!!

I think I have to lie down. I do believe I am getting the vapors!

Karie,

who likes to tweak Matthew's and Malcolm's and Song and Dance from New Hampshire's noses sometimes. They are MUCH too stressed and stiff and downright ANGRY about this sometimes!

Probably would be best if T&C went along with what Matthew said. Lots simpler that way. And call it anecdotal evidence if you must, but my time in the Caribbean didn't mean I was unable to wear proper clothes in the evening. Esp. since it's too hot there to wear jeans. :D

Probably would be best if T&C went along with what Matthew said. Lots simpler that way. And call it anecdotal evidence if you must, but my time in the Caribbean didn't mean I was unable to wear proper clothes in the evening. Esp. since it's too hot there to wear jeans. :D

Oh Angela. I agree fully. It's just there is a difference in the way Matthew said it, and the way David said it.

David said it with a dreamy sigh that said, "Isn't it wonderful to be dressed up for this very upscale ship and feel so special in doing so?"

Matthew sounded more like a frustrated school marm who was afraid someone was going to try to have some fun!

I am just saying there is a way to get your point across and not make people defensive or sound like you are chastising someone who doesn't have sense enough to come in out of the rain, much less dress themselves!

That's what I object to... it's the TONE- And jumping on someone and ASSUMING they will be a boor for having the audacity to ASK how formal is formal. Maybe they LOVE formal, but are afraid that if they show up in a tux, they'll be the only one there, and look like a fool. After all, we know of other ships which have formal nights which basically mean you have to wear clean underwear, preferably without holes in them!

Karie,

who gets tired of hearing people who sound dictatorial and judgmental, even when they really don't mean to be. I am just trying to gently prod, and say, there are ways of saying this without turning people off or insulting them. Look. I LOVE this group. But I am afraid to go on QE2, for fear I won't measure up!

They will sic Matthew on you. and he'll growl at you til the cows come home!

Karie,

Karie,

You're right. Re-reading the thread I was a bit abrupt.

I do maintain that the code is there to be kept. Equally, as can be seen my experience is of Queen Elizabeth 2 which is the senior ship in the line, and therefore sets the standard. ;)

The dress code is confusing I suppose, but I worked it out for myself on my first crossing. But (and speaking from the viewpoint of a Gentleman):

Formal - Dress suit ("tux") which may be a white jacket within those bounds set by the tropics of Cancer and Capricorn. Never on the North Atlantic......

Informal - think formal for any other line. Lounge suit generally worn. (Business suit or whatever you call it in the colonies). Jacket and tie essential. I note that Bramcruiser suggests sportscoat and tie - far from wrong, but not at the top end of what will be worn.

Casual/Smart Casual - still the topic of debate. Not a thing seen more than very occasionally on Queen Elizabeth 2. Worth pointing out that the standard of dress on Queen Elizabeth 2 in respect of Casual is probably higher than Carnival on Formal (at least from what I can gain from a brief foray into their pages). On Queen Mary 2 tie appears to be optional on this level. I understand that the first and last nights of a crossing on Queen Mary 2 are casual. I am interested to see what will come of it......

The brochure gives you an idea as well.

Karie is right that those of us from the Mother Country don't seem to have the same interest in the Caribbean. Crossings are my thing. You can't beat them!

Matthew

Oh Angela. I agree fully. It's just there is a difference in the way Matthew said it, and the way David said it.

David said it with a dreamy sigh that said, "Isn't it wonderful to be dressed up for this very upscale ship and feel so special in doing so?"

Matthew sounded more like a frustrated school marm who was afraid someone was going to try to have some fun!

I am just saying there is a way to get your point across and not make people defensive or sound like you are chastising someone who doesn't have sense enough to come in out of the rain, much less dress themselves!

That's what I object to... it's the TONE- And jumping on someone and ASSUMING they will be a boor for having the audacity to ASK how formal is formal. Maybe they LOVE formal, but are afraid that if they show up in a tux, they'll be the only one there, and look like a fool. After all, we know of other ships which have formal nights which basically mean you have to wear clean underwear, preferably without holes in them!

Karie,

who gets tired of hearing people who sound dictatorial and judgmental, even when they really don't mean to be. I am just trying to gently prod, and say, there are ways of saying this without turning people off or insulting them. Look. I LOVE this group. But I am afraid to go on QE2, for fear I won't measure up!

I have a very good friend from England, and when he was here I learned to appreciate what was called "Brit Humour!". So I might see and hear differently. The two different languages thing, perhaps?

I have a very good friend from England, and when he was here I learned to appreciate what was called "Brit Humour!". So I might see and hear differently. The two different languages thing, perhaps?

Don't you just mean humour?

Matthew

Malcolm, I do believe those Aussies over on that other thread are softening you somewhat!

Thank you for being so kind as to answer on the board. I don't mean to get cross. I just fear scaring away perfectly fine potential passengers! The gent did not indicate he did not wish to be formally attired!

Matthew, sadly, it is true. I worry that I won't fit in. And as I said, I DO like to dress formally. I have a closet full of formal gowns (in numerous sizes) including some I have never worn~! I go overboard, since I don't get many chances to dress that way. I generally pack about twice as many formal gowns as I need for a given cruise! (And nearly very item of make-up and jewelry I own! No wonder my luggage is always overweight!)

But I think you know my shortcomings enough from my numerous posts here to know that sometimes decorum is not my strong suit. Yes, some of us who are outgoing and sometimes appear to be egotistical use that to convince themselves. In truth I have struggled with fears and feelings of inadequacy and inferiority all of my life. In truth, I DO fear I won't measure up, and that people won't like me once they've met me, or may feel I am a bit too exuberant for such a stately lady as QE2. Honest.

Sad but true.

Karie, who is good at bluster....but not much else.

Karie is right that those of us from the Mother Country don't seem to have the same interest in the Caribbean. Crossings are my thing. You can't beat them!

Matthew

You really must go to the West Indies sometime. It's incredibly wonderful and beautiful (St. Lucia, Dominica). And for us the crossing is just a matter of when we can. Paul's back and forth trip would be great, even if we couldn't bring a kitty with us.:)

My English friend even agreed--he said how lucky I was to live close to such a beautiful part of the world. He's the one who's going to get those UK Cunard brochures for me.

However! If you ever decide to take a tour of the West Indies, keep your jeans, t-shirts, and flip flops out of the dining room. Not allowed there, either. ;)

Matthew, sadly, it is true. I worry that I won't fit in. And as I said, I DO like to dress formally. I have a closet full of formal gowns (in numerous sizes) including some I have never worn~! I go overboard, since I don't get many chances to dress that way. I generally pack about twice as many formal gowns as I need for a given cruise! (And nearly very item of make-up and jewelry I own! No wonder my luggage is always overweight!)

But I think you know my shortcomings enough from my numerous posts here to know that sometimes decorum is not my strong suit. Yes, some of us who are outgoing and sometimes appear to be egotistical use that to convince themselves. In truth I have struggled with fears and feelings of inadequacy and inferiority all of my life. In truth, I DO fear I won't measure up, and that people won't like me once they've met me, or may feel I am a bit too exuberant for such a stately lady as QE2. Honest.

Sad but true.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be pleased to see you aboard. I have come across very few people that I would like to throw overboard on QE2 - my mother in law was one (a long story which requires alcohol for me to tell, as the memory still appalls me) and the other was a very rich Canadian, who had decorum in spades, but was a total cow. I've come across more than a few people who might be described as mad, save that they had the money to become eccentric instead, and all of these have added to the memories of a wonderful ship.

Remember too - back in early September 2003 there was a little chap, not yet properly Kindly, who was sitting at home nervously wondering if he'd fit in to Queen Elizabeth 2.........

Matthew

You really must go to the West Indies sometime. It's incredibly wonderful and beautiful (St. Lucia, Dominica). And for us the crossing is just a matter of when we can. Paul's back and forth trip would be great, even if we couldn't bring a kitty with us.:)

My English friend even agreed--he said how lucky I was to live close to such a beautiful part of the world. He's the one who's going to get those UK Cunard brochures for me.

However! If you ever decide to take a tour of the West Indies, keep your jeans, t-shirts, and flip flops out of the dining room. Not allowed there, either. ;)

I don't own any of the said items of clothing!

Matthew

Including addressing replies to the right poster! :D

Matthew

No,. no! I answered BOTH of your posts!

Oh dear! You are most correct! I did that to you last night over on the May 6th thread! And you were kind enough not to catch me at it! ( at least publicly!)

Can I use the excuse that I am on call this weekend? I took a whole bunch of piles of scads of stuff out of my computer (and junk) room, piled it on the bed, with the intention of sorting it out, then got a call from my boss. i have been working pretty much non-stop(with two computers running side by side) on several heavy problems (including one with the 911 system- Same as 112 Europe and I forget the code in England) When Mark was ready to zonk, I had to run in grab all the stuff off the bed and pile it back in here!

No huh! I didn't think so.

Well, how about, just "I'm sorry?"

Cause I am!

Karie,

I told you I can be an idiot some times!

No,. no! I answered BOTH of your posts!

Oh dear! You are most correct! I did that to you last night over on the May 6th thread! And you were kind enough not to catch me at it! ( at least publicly!)

Can I use the excuse that I am on call this weekend? I took a whole bunch of piles of scads of stuff out of my computer (and junk) room, piled it on the bed, with the intention of sorting it out, then got a call from my boss. i have been working pretty much non-stop(with two computers running side by side) on several heavy problems (including one with the 911 system- Same as 112 Europe and I forget the code in England) When Mark was ready to zonk, I had to run in grab all the stuff off the bed and pile it back in here!

No huh! I didn't think so.

Well, how about, just "I'm sorry?"

Cause I am!

Karie,

I told you I can be an idiot some times!

Karie,

You should talk/write less and appreciate more. You know you are just fine somewhere inside you or you wouldn't be here wishing you could go on another Queen.

You are just fine. And interesting. And funny. And (pick something else nice). Worry is a useless emotion. And causes lines on the face. OTOH, happy and laughing causes lines, too. Meh. Pick the laughing ones.

And if you really need a kick in the bum, go read some of that Carnival stuff...:eek:

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be pleased to see you aboard. I have come across very few people that I would like to throw overboard on QE2 - my mother in law was one (a long story which requires alcohol for me to tell, as the memory still appalls me) and the other was a very rich Canadian, who had decorum in spades, but was a total cow. I've come across more than a few people who might be described as mad, save that they had the money to become eccentric instead, and all of these have added to the memories of a wonderful ship.

Remember too - back in early September 2003 there was a little chap, not yet properly Kindly, who was sitting at home nervously wondering if he'd fit in to Queen Elizabeth 2.........

Matthew

Matthew (See, I got it right! <G>) You were born British! Of course you fit in! remember, I've still got that language barrier! <LOL>

And I would be delighted to ply you with alcohol! (Probably when your wife is off at bingo- Wouldn't do to tell Mother-in Law stories in her presence... unless of course, that was your "first" wife!)

I seem to have a mental block when it comes to yours and Malcolm's posts! Hmm, British men beginning with a M, who carp about clothing on the Queens! and well,. yes. I realize that there are some fundamental differences, too. like you worship at a different pew, so to speak!)

(one of my gay friends' term for vive la difference!)

No, I suspect you probably wear a tie to bed and in the shower! <LOL>

Please tell me you don't wear one of those "bathing costumes" a la the 1920's, with the long black-striped tight shorts...and the handlebar mustache to go with! <LOL>

Karie, who would be fine in a full length gown for swimming too!

Karie,

And if you really need a kick in the bum, go read some of that Carnival stuff...:eek:

I'm not THAT bad, am I?

That I should deserve THAT?

I think I'll go throw myself off the roof!<G>

Oh woe is me! She thinks I belong on carnival! AGGH!! life is not worth living an longer!!!

Karie,

who isn't really THAT bad....am i?

Wouldn't do to tell Mother-in Law stories in her presence... unless of course, that was your "first" wife!

She's my first, last and only wife. And she wouldn't object. It was she that had to apologise to the officer in charge of the passenger assist party.....

Matthew

Malcolm, I do believe those Aussies over on that other thread are softening you somewhat!

There was me sitting at home quietly minding my own business, thinking that I was going to stay out of this thread, and then someone goes and drags me into it.

If you ever decide to take a tour of the West Indies

Why not join us next Christmas? It is cruising but you get almost a week in the Caribbean combined with sailings from and to Southampton. They're not quite crossings but they are almost.:)

Archived