QM2 dress code

craigtomer

Wow! I go to bed for one night and this thread exploded into.......civil chat? What's wrong with us?:D

Matthew, hands off my champagne if we're ever on the same cruise together! :) I got a bottle with my name on it, hopefully, waiting in my cabin when I board the QE2 this summer. If we're ever on the same cruise we'll have to make sure the ship is fully loaded with the bubbly.

Karie, I agree that its all a matter of how its said. Let's just say I recognized our OP as newcomers and I know how that felt. I was, perhaps, more casual in my approach but I felt if you read the "holy bible of how to dress on a Queen" you'll scare the new crowd away. I just wanted to point out that dressing up and sailing on Cunard can be an awe-inspiring experience and something that you won't have to feel like you don't belong in.

Poor Malcolm! It seems he's always getting picked on lately.;)

As for the Caribbean? Yes, the cruise to this part of the world is more casual than a transatlantic because of the warmer weather and the laid-back style of the islands. It is the most preferred cruise route for North Americans alongside Alaska perhaps. However, its never been a "must" for this Canadian. I must admit the warm weather is certainly appreciated in our cold winters but it took me over 40 years to finally do a Caribbean cruise. It is perhaps the most over-visted region in my opinion. However, I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised by our QM2 trip. Barbados was well developed and the population was well-educated. Exporting human capital to work internationally was their big thing and the government makes sure that the island's infrastructure continues to keep up with the rest of the western world. St. Kitts was a magical unspoiled region where tourism is just starting so it was like Dorothy in the land of Oz for me. I fell in love with beautiful St. Kitts. Only St. Thomas made me go - YIKES! Even then it was still better than a day at work. The moral - hmmmm - perhaps is that you sometimes surprise yourself.

Okay, I think I just veered off our original thread. Now how did that happen. Okay....I know...I'll just blame Malcolm.:rolleyes:

David

Who says "Dress Up" for any of Cunard's Queens. They deserve it! The only suit not allowed is the birthday suit.

Wow! I just woke up and checked the thread I started, I’m sorry if my question about the dress code caused friction between my fellow cruisers. Thank you for all the input, I LOVE this cruise already, any cruise that encourage me to go out shopping is Goooood! J

Oh and Mathew if you ever come visit in NY please let us know, we would love to take you out shopping and get you a pair of jeans, some cool t-shirts & flip flops…

Tomer

NYC

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be pleased to see you aboard. I have come across very few people that I would like to throw overboard on QE2 - my mother in law was one (a long story which requires alcohol for me to tell, as the memory still appalls me) and the other was a very rich Canadian, who had decorum in spades, but was a total cow. I've come across more than a few people who might be described as mad, save that they had the money to become eccentric instead, and all of these have added to the memories of a wonderful ship.

Matthew

You're so funny, she must have done something really terrible. I guess she showed you up in some way, (did you wish the ground would open up), just sounds like an ordinary day for my sister and I with our dear mum :o.

I hope you have forgiven her.

Wonder what she did?

No, I suspect you probably wear a tie to bed and in the shower! <LOL>

Please tell me you don't wear one of those "bathing costumes" a la the 1920's, with the long black-striped tight shorts...and the handlebar mustache to go with! <LOL>

Karie, who would be fine in a full length gown for swimming too!

Are you talking about 'Kindlychap' :D

Can someone elaborate on 'Formal Underwear'? :D

Well, er, uh, If you ave to ask, you probably wouldn't understand! <G>

You're so funny, she must have done something really terrible. I guess she showed you up in some way, (did you wish the ground would open up), just sounds like an ordinary day for my sister and I with our dear mum :o.

I hope you have forgiven her.

Wonder what she did?

Hmm, How do I respond. I almost responded to Whoever-the-heck it was! <G> um, Matthew, um, KC, um. What's-his-face (I'm so conFUSED!) I tend to think along the same lines. I hope you forgave her, kissed and made up, etc. But I am going through my own issues right now.

You see, I haven't seen or spoken to my own mother in over thirty years. I just naturally assume that everyone else has June Cleaver (or ummm Anderson from Father knows best) for a mother! Then I thought- yeah, but if you didn't get along, you wouldn't bring her along on a cruise. then I thought about the cruise with my Dad's last wife, who drove me up a wall. (She was the kind who dotted I's with smiley faces, if that means anything! Make-up was troweled on so thick she could give Tammy Faye Baker a run for the money!) Hey! Now there's a subject we could start! Appropriate make-up on the QE2! Thank goodness they had to take early seating and we really needed to be on late. Or I probably wouldn't have been able to choke down anything- else, I'd have concentrated REALLY INTENSELY on the food to avoid eye contact!

Well, I'll just be polite and say I am sure there is an "interesting" story there! (A word you never want to have used when someone describes their blind date with you. especially with a long pregnant pause before the word "interesting"

Are you talking about 'Kindlychap' :D

Heck- I haven't a clue! In fact, I'm not sure what I was talking about... Or maybe even who the heck *I* am! What day is it? Who's president? What year is this? Can I recite the alphabit backwards?

Help me! I've fallen (from sanity) and I can't get up! :p

There was me sitting at home quietly minding my own business, thinking that I was going to stay out of this thread, and then someone goes and drags me into it.

Why not join us next Christmas? It is cruising but you get almost a week in the Caribbean combined with sailings from and to Southampton. They're not quite crossings but they are almost.:)

That was our first choice, Malcolm. But one of the boys' school exam schedule conflicts with the sailing, not to mention flying over. He would be finishing his exams while we were boarding, and we refuse to go without him. He did offer to stay home alone, but the rest of us nixed that suggestion.

[quote name='futaba951']Is there a topless deck on QM 2?[/quote]

Deck 7 is topless - in that there is open deck all the way round that is not covered, decks 5, 6 and 8 also have some open deck space. I'm guessing that's not what you meant though:o There is no deck on any Cunard vessel where you can sunbathe "au nature". Your balcony could be a possible location although I'll leave it to people who've had balconies to comment about the privacy aspects.

Archived