the difference between Royal Palms and Sea Grape

txskier

We were in Grand Cayman this past week on the Rhapsody of the Seas on April 26th. Other ships in port were the Carnival Conquest and Mariner of the Seas.

We were off the ship fast and in a cab by 745 or so.....arriving at Royal Palm around 8 or so.

We were the first few people there...saw someone at the bar but did not ask any questions as to when to start drinking....'cause it was too early to drink. We found a couple of loungers on the front row and established "resindency".

Not long after being there, we were approached by a man who said that the chair rental is $5 per chair....no problem, we need an umbrella too. The umbrellas are rented by the guys in the white trailer who also rent the Waverunners, he says....no problem we say. We did not think to ask "when" will they show up.

So....we sit in the sun...enjoying the water....get wet....order a couple of beverages....more people are showing up....FINALLY the "waverunner" guys show up we were told they could rent umbrellas after they get the waverunners in the water......at 10 til 10....after I see the waverunners are in the water....I approach a young man at the trailer about renting an umbrella....I am told "we open at 10 and when you see the doors open up on the trailer we are open for business".......what a way to run a business when "ship people" are getting off at 8am!!!???

By now we are really gettin hot and cranky from sitting in the sun....so we stand in line at 10.....to rent the umbrella.....the line is not moving so swift....I sit back down in the lounger....DW goes back to the line.....oh boy....she comes back steaming and says "let's go"....she could not handle their lack of "customer service" either....

....Off we go to Sea Grape....as the taxi driver listened to DW vent about our experience at Royal Palms

We arrive at Sea Grape....it is somewhat crowed and very busy....we find a young man renting chairs and umbrells ....pay....blah blah blah....drink and have a great time.....After the chair/umbrella guy didn't have any customers....I asked him what time he was in this morning....answer....7am.....sometimes 730 if he has a late night and the guys renting the water toys (Red Sail I think) are there at 730.....He is telling me this place (Sea Grape) is hoppin at 730am.

Last year we did an excursion from the ship to Bay Colony and decided to try something on our own this year....based on information from these boards.....Now I have found a little more information to share with other people on these boards as far as timing of when chair/umbrella rental people are open for their business.

So, if you are arriving early to GC....and want a chair and umbrella EARLY....go to Sea Grape:)

What about the quality of the beach and restrooms between Sea Grape and Royal Palm? Also, you said that the chairs were $5 at Royal Palm. How much at Sea Grape? Thanks for all your help. We are deciding between the two places.

What about the quality of the beach and restrooms between Sea Grape and Royal Palm? Also, you said that the chairs were $5 at Royal Palm. How much at Sea Grape? Thanks for all your help. We are deciding between the two places.

Restrooms were clean at Royal....did not use the facility at SG

the chairs were $5 per at both places

Quality of the beach is the same...except at SG.....steeper incline into the water...also the beach is somewhat narrower.....I would not let that stop you from trying SG

Archived