St.Mark's Square at night

I've read that in the evening, we could hang out at St.Mark's Square and enjoy music & singing. We will be there in the Spring, and I was wondering if this goes on all the time. About how long does the "concert" last? Anyone know the best time to get there for a seat at one of the cafes? Any suggestions for a cafe with good seats & prices?

thanks

We stayed near St. Marks Square last month, and walked through the square every evening. The square was fairly quiet and we saw/heard no concerts, although it may be that more will be going on as the season progresses. There was a bar facing the Doges Palace which had an open front and music coming out, but was fairly empty inside. One of the cafes facing the square (on the left with your back to the Basilica) had music which could be heard from outside, but couldn't be seen. One evening there were a few people dancing in the square to the music, but I think this was an impromptu event by passers-by.

Be warned that the cafes on St. Marks are extremely expensive, from memory around 8 - 10 euros for a coffee - you are paying through the nose for the location. If you want music there are classical concerts just about every night in several of the churches, the possibility of opera in La Fenice, and a jazz club near the south side of the Rialto Bridge though I can't remember its name. At 10 euros for a coffee a proper concert will probably be no more expensive than spending the evening in one of the cafes at St. Marks square!

Paul S

As long as it is reasonably warm and the piazza is not flooded orchestras, tables and seat will be out.

The music plays normally until about 12:30 or 1:00 am.

The prices do not vary much between the cafes. I would choose according to the music and the sight you prefer. From the cafes on the piazza you have a good view of the basilica, from those on the piazetta of the doge's palace.

Regarding the prices you should note that there is a one time surcharge for the music per person. €4.5, € 5 or so. This makes a coffee quite expansive (maybe €6 plus surcharge ...) while prices become quite reasonable if you drink a bottle of wine or something like that.

Thanks for the info.

I'm thinking that the evening will be well remembered so no matter the prices, I'm going to go for it! The thought of sitting outdoors in such beautiful surroundings, and listening to music sounds wonderful.

Thanks for the info.

I'm thinking that the evening will be well remembered so no matter the prices, I'm going to go for it! The thought of sitting outdoors in such beautiful surroundings, and listening to music sounds wonderful.

I've spent a lot of time in Venice, and it is magical. The concerts will be held in May while you are visiting unless the weather is extremely bad (I've seen them playing in the rain).

Have a great trip,

Donna

Maja,

The choice we made was to sit at the tables in front of the Florian, and splurge on a round of drinks/deserts etc. Expensive? yes ($100 euro for a group of 6), but the presentation of the drinks was great, the waiter fun, we sat right up front by the excellent band (a small family actually) in an incredable, unforgettable setting I have now seen in a number of movies and travel shows.

The wait staff, by the way, was very European in style, in that they came by to check up only once, and were never intrusive or rushing to get you to buy a second drink. We sat there for about 3 sets of music and were never rushed.

As one CC member convinced me, The Florian is a place you want to say you have had a drink in before you die.

I've spent a lot of time in Venice, and it is magical. The concerts will be held in May while you are visiting unless the weather is extremely bad (I've seen them playing in the rain).

You are right it is magical! We stayed there until around midnight just drinking wine and enjoying the evening. We will back this summer can't wait.

Archived