Which Dinner Seating?

Choose2Cruise

I understand there are 2 dinner seatings on QM2 ~~~ early at 6:15 PM and late at 8:15 PM. We used to prefer the late, so we didn't have to cut a shore excursion short, but then we didn't finish eating until almost 10 PM. After cruising on NCL a few times, we liked the "Freestyle" eat-when-you-want, where-you-want dinners.

We will be on the QM2 on the Escapists' Caribbean 12-6-2004 sailing. I have read some posts on this board saying that the people were being served on the late seating were getting their food at 8:45-9 PM and not getting finished until 10:30 or 11. At home, we eat much earlier than that!

Would like some comments on the pros and cons of both seatings, and how each one related to the entertainment shows (i.e. did you attend the shows after the early seating but before the late seating?). We're new to Cunard ships and appreciate any advice anyone can give. Thanks.

Choose2Cruise in NM

We, like you, normally eat dinner early. However, when we cruise, we prefer the late seating. On the QM2, we felt the late seating was more relaxed and that the service was better. We usually finished dinner about 10 PM. We would then go to the show or to the Queens Room for dancing. We usually got to bed quite late, but slept late most mornings. Another advantage to late seating is that it allows you to enjoy afternoon tea without feeling like you are going directly from tea to dinner. Afternoon tea is a not to be missed experience on the QM2. Have a great cruise.

We sailed on the May 10th Romantic's Caribbean and had the late seating. We had no service issues worth discussing.

It was nice having the late seating for a couple of reasons. The first is that the early seating has to be done by the time the second seating starts, which could lead to a feeling of being rushed (this is just an assumption). The second reason is that you can enjoy your shore excursions, or have afternoon tea, or do just about whatever you want at your own pace.

We met with our group of friends almost every night at the Commodore Club before our late seating. It was very nice and leisurely.

Anyway - hope that helps.

Craig

We always do early seating because we eat early at home and do not stay up late. However, the disadvantage of early seating is that you are always in the dining room at sail a way and there is no music playing after dinner as that's when all the entertainers go to dinner.

I much prefer the earlier seating because I don't enjoy going to bed with a full stomach and because I'm not as much into most of the shows, drinking, dancing, gambling G32 stuff that happens later at night. Sometimes I felt a little rushed "out of my day and into the dining room" -- especially when putting on formal dress is required.

Just as a reminder, Todd English and, secondarily, the other "themed" restuaurants (evenings, Kings Court) Lotus, the Carvery, La Piazza, and the Galley all offer very good and some exceptional dining experiences IMHO. You can -- and need to -- book your dinner reservations in advance via your cabin phone (call up until 5pm) for any time throughout the evening. I had good experiences with this -- and don't "enforce" the dress codes.
--

On the Eastbound crossings, when you lose an hour each day to the time change, it's hard enough to get up "early" anyway. (That's a little annoyance that follows you across the Atlantic, unfortunately, although it makes arrival day in England painless.)

I look forward to my first westbound crossing where staying up later will be more fun.

As an semi-related aside, walking around the ship late and night and and at sunrise is just wonderful when everyone's playing or asleep and you "have the whole ship to yourself." Plan to wake up early and/or pull yourself away from partying at least once to experience this.

Crouton

Juneann:

It is practically impossible to take Afternoon Tea this dine early to my way of thinking so if this ritual is important go with late. On our recent trip it was early seating that was hard to get, not late.

Jeanne

Archived