Arranging my own scuba tour

Rudebob

On all the cruises I have taken in the past we have almost always arranged our own shore excursions. Besides a much better price, flexible schedule, and personal attention, we also got to see/experience many things or places that were not on the standard tourist route. I never worried much about getting back to the ship on time as these were land type tours and alterative transportation was usually readily available.

After getting certified this last year I was planning to scuba dive while in St. Maarten and St. Thomas this summer. Again, I would just as soon forgo the cruise ship scuba excursions, however, I am a little more worried about booking a non-cruise ship dive boat tour. Let’s face it. A lot of these operators equipment is marginal at best and breakdowns appear to be a common occurrence. Has this occurred in the past where divers have been unable to get back to the ship in time? Is this a legitimate fear? Do operators have continency plans do they have if a breakdown does occur?

Maybe I should just pre-reserve the ship tour just for the peace of mind knowing they will get me back on the ship if something should happen. I guess want someone to change my mind by recommending a good tour operator and provide some assurance not to worry about it.

What’s is your opinion?

Thanks,

‘Bob

I never go with the ship's excursion and I've never been worried about making the ship's departure time.

Most dive trips take place first thing in the morning and end around 1:00 PM which would leave plenty of time go get back to a ship unless the ship had an unusually early departure time.

I just don't like going with the ship's dive excursions as they are seldom satisfactory for an advanced diver. Often bottom times are often predetermined and short. The guides also often lead the dive at a pace much faster than I like, and forget about doing your own dive.

The ship's dive excursions do have other benefits in addition to the ship waiting for a late excursion group. You'd get to dive with others from the ship, the arrangements are easier to make, many times gear rental is include, and it is a usually a guided dive which is good for the typical once a year cruise diver.

Of course, this doesn't address the possibility of doing a shore dive which is definitely practical in St. Thomas at Coki Beach.

For the first time in a particular port, we usually book through the ship because we are unfamiliar with the area.

After that, we will either book with the ship, book privately or just shore dive.

I think if the OP is unfamiliar with the area, he/she might be best served by booking with the ship.

Your milage may vary.

D.

We did our dives outside the cruise ship last year. In St Thomas we went with Coki Beach Dive Shop, I would definitely use them again. We did shore dives and really enjoyed them. Didnt have to worry about any dive boat problems and the workers were great. Here is their link if you want to check them out. Way at the bottom you will find a link for cruise ship passengers. Happy Diving!

http://www.cokidive.com/about_us.htm

• 4 weeks later...

I never book with a ship dive excursion. Even when I was a fairly new diver in my first cruise, I booked independently. I have since dived in many cruise ports and never had a problem. This board (and the scuba board) is a great place to do your research.

In one W. Caribbean port last year, there is one dive op that had good reputation. They were charging $70-80 (I forgot the exact amount) for a 2-tank boat dive. But soon after I was inquiring, they signed up to be Carnival's contractor. They could no longer book me but said cruisers now need to go through the ship, to pay $149. If I booked with them directly a few days earlier it would've been at half the rate. I eventually booked with another dive op at $70. In the second dive, the (second) DM said he was the previous owner of the dive op that just contracted with Carnival. He also said Carnival takes a 50% cut at the rate. Since then I've seen several posts indicating how it was an unsatisfactory cattleboat dive experience with the Carnival dive excursion, the same dive op that had had good reviews just before that.

The term "cruise divers" is often not looked upon favourably. Most dive ops think of a typical cruise diver as one who may not have dived in a while, is rusty, is not an advanced diver, and may need lots of hand holding. They almost never go deeper than 60', some excrusion descriptions explicitly says so.

Of course there are good cruise divers that don't fit this "typical" description. But the contracted dive op have to adjust to the most needy dive. Even some independent ops have apprehension to cruise divers. In one place where I tried to book a dive independently, the shop insists that all cruise divers go thru a check-out shore dive (where they examine your mask clearing and regulator retrieval skills) before they'll take you on a boat dive. I explained I have PADI AOW, have my own gear including computer, and will have dived in several places just before going to that port. But they said no exception for cruise divers. I guess they have seen their share of "cruise divers".

Cruise divers are also a one-time deal for the dive ops, as opposed to some other vacationers who may stay there for a week and dive several times, giving the dive op a chance to see how they are and can adjust the diving accordingly.

Because of this, if you go with a cruise dive excursion, it may not be as good as going independently. But you still get to dive. It is a good excursion for those occassional divers who may not be frequent avid divers but like to experience diving again. It also gives you the peace of mind that the ship will wait for you.

• 2 weeks later...
I never book with a ship dive excursion. Even when I was a fairly new diver in my first cruise, I booked independently. I have since dived in many cruise ports and never had a problem. This board (and the scuba board) is a great place to do your research.

We also booked independently last year, despite it being our first ever cruise and first ever dive...and not knowing the area. We used Coki, had a great time...and got back to the ship with plenty of time to eat, change and go back out shopping! As a matter of fact, we booked all of our excursions independently and had no problems.

Get a recommendation from your LDS for the ports being visited. Works for me. That said what is your number and type of dives since last year - make sure you get taken to an area that does not exceed your ability - i.e. don't go deep diving in stange waters if you have no previous experience deep diving, etc.

On all the cruises I have taken in the past we have almost always arranged our own shore excursions. Besides a much better price, flexible schedule, and personal attention, we also got to see/experience many things or places that were not on the standard tourist route. I never worried much about getting back to the ship on time as these were land type tours and alterative transportation was usually readily available.

After getting certified this last year I was planning to scuba dive while in St. Maarten and St. Thomas this summer. Again, I would just as soon forgo the cruise ship scuba excursions, however, I am a little more worried about booking a non-cruise ship dive boat tour. Let’s face it. A lot of these operators equipment is marginal at best and breakdowns appear to be a common occurrence. Has this occurred in the past where divers have been unable to get back to the ship in time? Is this a legitimate fear? Do operators have continency plans do they have if a breakdown does occur?

Maybe I should just pre-reserve the ship tour just for the peace of mind knowing they will get me back on the ship if something should happen. I guess want someone to change my mind by recommending a good tour operator and provide some assurance not to worry about it.

What’s is your opinion?

Thanks,

‘Bob

St. Marteen should be skipped, diving is just average.

For St. Thomas both of these operations will pick you up and have you back long before the ship leaves. Both a first rate operations IMHO:

Here's the one we used: http://www.blueislanddivers.com/

And these folks are also great (some of the best actually): http://sawyerdive.vi/

Archived