Triumph 4-21-07 review

gypsyrose

We had a really wonderful cruise. Could not find anything wrong with our cruise, no wear and tear on the ship other than normal. Staff was always friendly and smiling. Stayed on the panorama deck and let me just say this is a fantastic deck to be on. I did not really enjoy Paul the CD, but it did not affect my trip. I really enjoyed Marc Price last year a lot. Saw our cabin steward and assistant more this trip than ever. Our wait staff Eva and Andras were great.

Ports: Half Moon Cay....very beautiful, lazy day at the beach, good bbq lunch, snorkeled with the stingrays. That was neat

St. Thomas....overcast at first..shopped in town then took a cab to Coki for snorkeling and more beach time

San Juan....independant tour right off the ship $20 per person 2 hour tour..Ask for Bruno.. very informative...Best $ we spent the whole trip, beautiful city...probably our favorite stop...shopping downtown, ate lunch at a mexican rest that Bruno recommended....then headed to the infamous Senor Frogs...what a BLAST!!!!

Grand Turk....Just another lazy day by the pool at Margaritaville. Did not do a shore excursion. Just hung out by the pool, walked around the shops and went to the conch graveyard to pick up a few conch shells to bring home.

Did not enjoy the nite life on this cruise as much as last year. It could be because we had 8:30 dinner and everything was almost finished by the time we got out. Karaoke was almost always over. Brad in the piano bar just needed to get a little more livelier with the crowd. I was hoping for a hopping piano bar with a lot of interaction. This was a place to sit around and sip wine and listen to piano music. The band in the other lounge ROCKED!!! They were really good but there were rarely any chairs available. The deck party was the best we have ever been to. Social host Renaldo is a HOOT!! He gets the party going.

Chair hogs....Did not really notice much of this. We grabbed our chairs on deck 10 and we would see some towels on chairs not being used but not for very long. I think since they have lounge chairs instead of the regular chairs on the stadium levels it must have helped. Never made it to the funnel deck. We were really lazy this cruise.

Formal nites were Mon and Thur. We were in port on thur till 7 so I had originally thought that it would be on wed. Oh well.. You will have to choose if you have early dinner. Past guest was on Wed at 5. We had late seating so we did not make it but this time they left our pins w/ our invites in the room. Glad for that.

Embarkation and debarkation was fine, no problems.

Any ??? ask away. I will try to answer.

Welcome home! I'm glad you enjoyed the Triumph. We sailed her in January and loved her! We're on the Freedom next April, going on the same itinerary that you just returned from. I'm really looking forward to it!

Did Bruno take you to the fort? How about any nice 'picture' spots?

Thanks!

Bruno took us took a market where the locals buy their foods, 2 beaches, the capitol building which is made entirely of marble, old san juan, and by 2 forts. We stopped at Fort Cristobal (?) but only long enough for photos. Where he drops you off you have time to walk back up to the forts to roam on your own

Gypsyrose- ? about Grand Turk shell graveyard. Where there alot of conch shells? Where any of them worth keeping? Any problem bringing them on ship?

I read some where that there use to be thousands of them. Then I heard there were only like 200 left and they were broken.

Im glad you had a good time. I will be sailing on her 07/14/07.

Did you see any mojitos on the ship?

Gypsyrose- ? about Grand Turk shell graveyard. Where there alot of conch shells? Where any of them worth keeping? Any problem bringing them on ship?

I read some where that there use to be thousands of them. Then I heard there were only like 200 left and they were broken.

The conch shells I found on Grand Turk were to the right of the pier as you came ashore. There were a lot of broken ones but the further you are willing to walk away from the pier the more selection there is. If you snorkle you can find some that are not bleached out also. As for bringing them bake on ship, I saw people just carry them on board with no problem.

Fins Up! :cool:

MJ25 thanks for the answers. Hope you enjoyed your cruise. Couple more ?'s. Do you know where and if they had mojitos? What is the process for the immigration on St. Thomas? Did it take to long? What was the 19.00 excursion that was recomended to get off the ship early? Thinking about doing that to get off the ship early but I might actually want to participate if it is something fun.

We were on the Triumph this past January.....we used both of the secret doors a few times. They were on decks 6 & 10. If there's one on 7, we didn't use it. I'm not saying there isn't one there.....I'm just saying we didn't use it if there was. :)

I'm pretty sure there were stairs outside on deck 6 that went up to deck 7...but we didn't look for a door to go back in, we just used the door on deck 6.

We were on the Triumph this past January.....we used both of the secret doors a few times. They were on decks 6 & 10. If there's one on 7, we didn't use it. I'm not saying there isn't one there.....I'm just saying we didn't use it if there was. :)

I'm pretty sure there were stairs outside on deck 6 that went up to deck 7...but we didn't look for a door to go back in, we just used the door on deck 6.

Thanks

Gumballz is right about the secret door. We stayed on deck 10 so we went out there several times. You can walk up and down the different levels. The lowest level you see is for the crew. We never went there so they could have their privacy.

There are still tons of shells, most in good condition. Yes, you do have to walk a little further to get to them but it is worth it. I only brought 2 home because they were kind of heavy. I saw people toting armsfull. Someone said to boil them when you get home so they won't smell. Haven't done that yet, they are on the deck.

Immigration did seem to take a long time. It was supposed to start at 7:30 and we got in line at that time and there were over 100 people already in line. We did not get thru till 9 so those others ahead of us waited over 2 hours. If I could do it over, I would go to breakfast then come get in line. Once it started moving it didn't really take long. Any shore excursion that you book before 9 will allow you to go to the front of the line. I would not book something just for that purpose because if the weather is bad your excursion will get canceled.

The ship did do some rocking but not really worse than any others I have been on. We take ginger pills during the day and bonine at nite and never had any problems.

Never tried the mojitos. Sorry.

You can get out to the front of the ship on decks 6,7,9 and 10 deck 8 is the bridge. Deck 5 you can go down stairs if you move the rope that says "crew only" :D just go to the very front of the ship there two doors to go through, just be careful when you open the outer one it can be very windy and hard to open, watch out for little kids the door can be blown closed quickly!!! They are our new hangout for sail away's and for coming into ports.:D

I'm still pondering what to do in HMC -- maybe sailing a Sunfish or snorkeling with stingrays or both. I'm planning for an "on board in port" quasi sea day for the San Juan stop -- in 2 visits I've done everything I want to in SJ.

Of course all of my pre-plans could change if I make some friends before sailing.

I'll be on the Triumph for a Thanksgiving cruise this year. Anyone have any comments about the cabins? I've booked 2211. I've done lots of cruises before but this is my first on Carnival.

I'll be on the Triumph for a Thanksgiving cruise this year. Anyone have any comments about the cabins? I've booked 2211. I've done lots of cruises before but this is my first on Carnival.

Cabin 2211 has the upper/lower configuration...hopefully you were told that (or knew it) when you booked. I believe that cabin might also have a porthole, even though it's considered an 1A, inside. :)

I'm still pondering what to do in HMC -- maybe sailing a Sunfish or snorkeling with stingrays or both. I'm planning for an "on board in port" quasi sea day for the San Juan stop -- in 2 visits I've done everything I want to in SJ.

Of course all of my pre-plans could change if I make some friends before sailing.

Too bad your not going 7/14/07 you could go get drunk with us at mojitos in SJ. Have fun whatever you decide to do.

Cabin 2211 has the upper/lower configuration...hopefully you were told that (or knew it) when you booked. I believe that cabin might also have a porthole, even though it's considered an 1A, inside. :)

I saw the cabin configuration on the Carnival website but since I'm sailing solo, it doesn't matter. I'll just keep the upper bunk closed. I wanted to make sure I had a window/porthole and this one does. I'm more concerned about the location; I've usually been more towards the center of the ship. I try to get the cheapest cabin I can since I don't spend much time in it. But my internal clock gets all screwed up without a window and natural light, so that's my only extravagance.

So, what are these secret doors? Where do they go?

So, what are these secret doors? Where do they go?

They just go out to a deck area. It's small and very windy but not many people go out there (either because they don't know about it or because it's so windy). It's a nice place to check out the view, take photos, lay and watch the stars or just get away and have some quiet time. :)

Archived