Lamanai Ruins Review

indiaksue

My DH and I just got back from our Western Caribbean cruise. We decided to try the Princess Excursion "New River Safari and Lamanai Ruins". The tendering was okay but a little annoying that our tickets said 7:45 to meet and we actually didn't leave the theater to board the tender until after 8:15. We could have slept in a little longer. :rolleyes:

We boarded the bus and took that for about an hour. We came to the New River and stopped to board the boat. We had a few minutes here and they gave us bottled water. The boats were nice with a covered top. We sped through the water at a very fast clip, stopping here and there for pictures of wildlife. We saw mainly birds, but did see some bats and one very small crocodile. The river tour took about an hour also. We disembarked at the ruins where they had lunch ready for us and more bottled water or pop. The meal was okay it was chicken, fish, slaw, rice, bread, and coconut tarts. When you were finished with your meal you had a very short time at the museum, maybe 15 minutes. It is not a large museum but lots of information to read so you can't possibly get to it all, so I suggest you walk through the entire place first and decide what infomation or artifacts are most interesting to you and start there.

The ruins were very interesting. We are in fairly good shape and kept up with our guide. There was a lot of uneven ground, tree roots and rocks so you really have to watch your step. You also walk for quite a distance and it is fairly hot. I thought this might be an issue for me but I did just fine. We took mosquito spray but never used any.

I really recommend this tour it was fascinating and the ruins were well preserved. It did get pretty long with the 2 hour trip to the ruins and 2 hours back. We got one of the last tenders back to the ship at 4:15.

I'll be happy to answer any questions if anyone has some.

Archived