Can't Make up Our Mind

Guil

Hi,

We are cruising on May12th NCL Dawn. My DH and I can't make up our minds, stay in Hamilton or go to St George. In port from 8a.m to 6p.m.

(Dockyard)

We were in Bermuda back in 2001, stayed in both ports.

Loved St George, but how do we get there from the Dockyard? The beach we want to go to is Fort St Catherine. How much time does it take to get there? And how much will it cost?

If we stay in Hamilton, we want to go to Elbow Beach. Has anyone been there before? Again, how do we get there and how much will it cost.

Have been to Horseshoe Bay don't want to go again.

Thanks,:)

Elbow Beach is beautiful. You can reach it by bus. Once you get off the bus, go around the bend and walk a couple minutes. You will see a path and steps lead to the beach. We had a hard time finding it. I do not hink it had any signs and the bus driver's directions were useless.

Hi,

We are cruising on May12th NCL Dawn. My DH and I can't make up our minds, stay in Hamilton or go to St George. In port from 8a.m to 6p.m.

(Dockyard)

Loved St George, but how do we get there from the Dockyard? The beach we want to go to is Fort St Catherine. How much time does it take to get there? And how much will it cost?

If we stay in Hamilton, we want to go to Elbow Beach. Has anyone been there before? Again, how do we get there and how much will it cost.

You can take the ferry from the dockyard to St. George's. Here's a website with lots of information, including bus and ferry schedules:

http://www.bermuda.com/transportation/ferries/

It seems that the schedule page is down right now, but keep checking!

Hi,

(Dockyard)

First of all if you buy a transportation pass, you get unlimited use of the ferries and the buses. The cost for an adult is $12 for one day, $20 for two and $28 for threee. A child under 5 rides for free and there is a discounted rate for children up to 16. The ferry from Hamilton to the dockyard takes about 20 to 30 minutes. The ferry from the dockyard to St. George takes 45 minutes to an hour. Although we took one of the new ferries and we got to St George in about 25 minutes. Boy was that boat flying. Halfway there a buzzer went off, it was an alarm that notifies the crew that the boat had come out of the water too much. LOL The ferry ride to St. George was one of the highlights of our trip. You see everything on the North Shore, so it is a very scenic trip, quite enjoyable. If you also take the ferry accross the harbor from Hamilton, you pretty much have seen most of Bermuda from the sea. Once you are in St. George, you can take a mini bus for $3 each way. Takes 5 minutes. St. Catherines is very nice, has facilities and a bar on the beach. It is also next to Fort St. Catherine's and Tobacco Bay (great for snorkling). Going back to Hamilton, it will be faster to take the bus. There is either a number 10 or 11 bus every 15 minutes and then take the ferry to the dockyard. You could also get off the bus and see the Swizzle Inn for lunch. I think the caves would be too crowded to see unless you went there first in the morning before going to St. Catherine's beach. The beaches in St. George are much different from Horseshoe Bay. Smaller, but shallow water that is calmer. Elbow Beach is the beach for the Elbow Beach Hotel and it is really a copy of Horseshoe Bay. It will take about 15 minutes from Hamilton. You could also take the ferry to Hamilton, explore. then continue by bus to St. George. Go to St. Catherine's beach, explore St. George and then take the ferry back to the dockyard (last two ferries are at 3 and 3:45 PM). My favorite beach is John Smith's Bay which is past Elbow beach. Take the number one bus from Hamilton. The bus drops you off in the park at the top of the bluff. It is a easy walk down to the beach which is never crowded. Ringed by reefs it is shallow and provides great photo opportunites. Hope this information is helpful to you.:)

First of all if you buy a transportation pass, you get unlimited use of the ferries and the buses. The cost for an adult is $12 for one day, $20 for two and $28 for threee. A child under 5 rides for free and there is a discounted rate for children up to 16. The ferry from Hamilton to the dockyard takes about 20 to 30 minutes. The ferry from the dockyard to St. George takes 45 minutes to an hour. Although we took one of the new ferries and we got to St George in about 25 minutes. Boy was that boat flying. Halfway there a buzzer went off, it was an alarm that notifies the crew that the boat had come out of the water too much. LOL The ferry ride to St. George was one of the highlights of our trip. You see everything on the North Shore, so it is a very scenic trip, quite enjoyable. If you also take the ferry accross the harbor from Hamilton, you pretty much have seen most of Bermuda from the sea. Once you are in St. George, you can take a mini bus for $3 each way. Takes 5 minutes. St. Catherines is very nice, has facilities and a bar on the beach. It is also next to Fort St. Catherine's and Tobacco Bay (great for snorkling). Going back to Hamilton, it will be faster to take the bus. There is either a number 10 or 11 bus every 15 minutes and then take the ferry to the dockyard. You could also get off the bus and see the Swizzle Inn for lunch. I think the caves would be too crowded to see unless you went there first in the morning before going to St. Catherine's beach. The beaches in St. George are much different from Horseshoe Bay. Smaller, but shallow water that is calmer. Elbow Beach is the beach for the Elbow Beach Hotel and it is really a copy of Horseshoe Bay. It will take about 15 minutes from Hamilton. You could also take the ferry to Hamilton, explore. then continue by bus to St. George. Go to St. Catherine's beach, explore St. George and then take the ferry back to the dockyard (last two ferries are at 3 and 3:45 PM). My favorite beach is John Smith's Bay which is past Elbow beach. Take the number one bus from Hamilton. The bus drops you off in the park at the top of the bluff. It is a easy walk down to the beach which is never crowded. Ringed by reefs it is shallow and provides great photo opportunites. Hope this information is helpful to you.:)

Hi Writeratsea,

Thank you so much for all your input and details, this is very helpful.

I thinks we're leaning towards St George, just love St Catherine's beach and the fort.

p.s. love your name writeratsea:)

Wish us luck, thanks again

Hi Writeratsea,

Thank you so much for all your input and details, this is very helpful.

I thinks we're leaning towards St George, just love St Catherine's beach and the fort.

p.s. love your name writeratsea:)

Wish us luck, thanks again

I just love Tobacco Bay and St Catherine's, just nice beaches. Small enough to enjoy, and with facilities at both. There is also another beach in between these two called Achilles Bay which was quite interesting. While you are in St. George there is a Confederate museum, devoted to the blockade runners who made the hazardous trips back and forth to Bermuda during the American Civil War. If you like history, it is a wonderful experience. There is also a perfume factory tour, located right next to St. Peter's church, which was fun.

I am glad you like my name. I tried to create something personal and relevant. I was inspired by Bermuda last year to start working on a new book which I think will be good. Going back again this year to do more research. Tough job doing all this research. LOL.

I think St. George is the right choice. I just know that you will have a great time.:) Hope to hear from you when you get back as to how your trip turned out.

I just love Tobacco Bay and St Catherine's, just nice beaches. Small enough to enjoy, and with facilities at both. There is also another beach in between these two called Achilles Bay which was quite interesting. While you are in St. George there is a Confederate museum, devoted to the blockade runners who made the hazardous trips back and forth to Bermuda during the American Civil War. If you like history, it is a wonderful experience. There is also a perfume factory tour, located right next to St. Peter's church, which was fun.

I am glad you like my name. I tried to create something personal and relevant. I was inspired by Bermuda last year to start working on a new book which I think will be good. Going back again this year to do more research. Tough job doing all this research. LOL.

I think St. George is the right choice. I just know that you will have a great time.:) Hope to hear from you when you get back as to how your trip turned out.

Hi Writeratsea,

I'll get back to you after our curise with all the details. Please let me know when your book comes out, love to read it. :)

Thanks again

I lived in Bermuda and John Smiths Bay is my vote for the best beach. It's beautiful, not very busy. Sure -- it doesn't have the anenities that Horshoe does...but it's a nice beach.

Elbow Beach would be my second choice.

Horseshoe Bay is beautiful as well, just a little busier.

Archived