Figured out what to do with our RCI Gold Medals

Besides sell them on Ebay, that is.

On our recent Rhapsody cruise we went a bit competition crazy. At the end of the week our final tally was 1 Bronze, 1 Silver & 8 Gold. As a bit of a joke for our tablemates who had kidded us all week about our thirst for competition we wore them all around our necks for the final dinner. :p

People laughed with us throughout the week that we could come home and sell all our winnings on Ebay to start paying for our next cruise. But as we were unpacking and I reached in and pulled out the bundle of medals I realized what a nice tone they had clinking together.

So now, drum roll please:

I'm going to make them into a wind chime!

This may end up being the most fun and unique souvenir we've ever brought home from a vacation. I know it will definitely bring a smile to our faces every time we see it.

What has been one of your best souvenirs?

Fantastic idea, one of my favorite souvenirs is also a windchime made out of different seashells from Bermuda. The other is a carved frog made from a toruga (sp?) nut that I picked up in Panama in March.

Fantastic idea, one of my favorite souvenirs is also a windchime made out of different seashells from Bermuda. The other is a carved frog made from a toruga (sp?) nut that I picked up in Panama in March.

That intrigued me, so I had to go Google it. Found some great images. Beautiful! It is actually spelled "tagua" if anyone else wants to see some examples.

Now I know what to look for when we finally get around to doing Panama like we keep talking about. Thanks for sharing that Sue!

That intrigued me, so I had to go Google it. Found some great images. Beautiful! It is actually spelled "tagua" if anyone else wants to see some examples.

Now I know what to look for when we finally get around to doing Panama like we keep talking about. Thanks for sharing that Sue!

Thanks for correcting that, I had it written down somewhere but was too lazy to look. They had all different kinds of carvings but I collect frogs so it was a no brainer for me!

That is a good idea. I personally haven't competed in anything to receive a medal...yet.

My father would never give his bronze up though. He is in his mid 60's and came in second place in the ping pong tournament! I'd say there were 25 participants in the thing too. They didn't expect to be beaten by an older gentleman. :D

Do they actually sell on ebay? How much? (I can't access it at work or I'd check myself!)

I saw a silver one that sold for $5.24 plus $2.00 S&H.

That is a good idea. I personally haven't competed in anything to receive a medal...yet.

My father would never give his bronze up though. He is in his mid 60's and came in second place in the ping pong tournament! I'd say there were 25 participants in the thing too. They didn't expect to be beaten by an older gentleman. :D

I honestly did consider selling all of my loot. I am an Ebay Seller as a sideline to earn my extra vacation money.

But some things are just too sentimental. And part of the good memories come from things just like your Dad's ping pong tournament. You get such a cross section of people competing and rarely do the people win that you thought would be the real contenders on first glance.

I was surprised when I won a medal at ring toss. I thought my Husband would take it for sure since he grew up pitching horse shoes at his Dad's place in the country. But he didn't even place. He did well in the putting competition. I warned him before going into that one though, that as much money as he has spent on golf over the years, he'd better make a good showing. :) He was thrilled to win a gold!

I'll come back and post a picture when I finish. It may be a few weeks. I need to get out and hit the thrift stores and try to find some unique materials to complete it.

Great idea. Now I need to figure out how to win some medals.

Sometimes it just pays to pick a good team. We were really lucky that we connected with some people at the first trivia that complimented our knowledge. My husband and I are fairly nerdy and both grew up watching way too much tv. Found some people that were well traveled and had great geography knowledge. If only we'd found a team mate who knew James Bond movies we might very well have been unstoppable for the week.

As it was, we did pretty well. Here is our winning Ultimate Trivia Team, "The Texas Terrors" sporting our t-shirts & Gold medals.

8719338b.jpg

Archived