Snorkeling Excursions in Belize from Carnival

Southwest

In Belize, we are considering going on either Goff's Caye Snorkle or Barrier Reef Snorkel at Turneffe and would appreciate hearing from others who have gone on them. The excursion to Goff's Caye says we can snorkel from the boat or from the shore -- do you have to decide one or the other or do you have the option to do both? We have good swimmers who like to go from the boat in deeper water and some that prefer shallow water snorkeling so we want to know if we split up will we be split for the entire excursion or is there an opportunity to get back together. Is there shade available? Was it a good snorkeling experience (lots of coral, fish and clear water)? Any other comments about it would be welcome. For the Barrier Reef at Turneffe, is it from a boat or from the shore? It also has a beach experience, is it snorkeling and then to the beach and the snorkeling is over? Again looking for information about shade and water quality as well as your enjoyment of the overall experience. Thanks for your comments in advance. BTW, I didn't post this under the Belize port because no one seemed to answer questions about snorkeling excursions from the ship there, only saw discussions of local excursions and we wish to stick with Carnival hosted tours from this port. I'm hoping to get good information by posting this question in the Carnival area.

In Belize, we are considering going on either Goff's Caye Snorkle or Barrier Reef Snorkel at Turneffe and would appreciate hearing from others who have gone on them. The excursion to Goff's Caye says we can snorkel from the boat or from the shore -- do you have to decide one or the other or do you have the option to do both? We have good swimmers who like to go from the boat in deeper water and some that prefer shallow water snorkeling so we want to know if we split up will we be split for the entire excursion or is there an opportunity to get back together. Is there shade available? Was it a good snorkeling experience (lots of coral, fish and clear water)?

In Feb, we booked the Goff's Cay excursion through Carnival. They picked us up directly from the ship and took us to an island - not much larger than our yard at home. Definitely a get away from it all experience with nothing else in sight but another tiny island in the distance. Plenty of shade or sun as you prefer, a small hut with vendors for simple refreshments and some crafts/jewelry. Snorkeling was good but not spectacular. However, our guides pointed out a large eagle ray as we approached the island. They were as excited as we were! You do need to choose whether to snorkel from the boat, we heard the current was strong, or with a guided group from the shore to the reef. The two groups met up on the island for about half an hour before the excursion ends. There were extensive flats around the island for wading. Water is an amazing blue. Bring your camera. Breathe.

I cannot remember the exact name of the Carnival tour we did but it was snorkeling over the largest reef. A boat picked us up right at the ship and we snorkeled from the boat. We were really disappointed as it required a lot of swimming and staying close to the guide. It was difficult to watch him and see anything under water. There was very little color and not plentiful with fish. Maybe this is not the experience of others but we would not recommend it. We have snorkeled lots of times and this was the worst. I will say it was a beautiful day and a nice boat ride.

We are heading to Goff's Caye for the 4th time in July. When they get to the island they let off those wishing to hang around the island and snorkel from shore - then head back out for those wanting deeper water. After an hour or so they bring those people to the island - where everyone hangs out for ~ 1 hour more.

Here is a picture I took of the island in March as we passed by (leaving port) that evening. Also here are a few photos I took while snorkeling from shore.

141424081-L.jpg

141428486-L.jpg

141428469-L.jpg

141428472-L.jpg

141428482-L.jpg

Tom

Last week my wife and I went to Goff's Caye on the Carnival Legend - Week of 4/22/2007. And this is how it went.....

1. Good idea to take an excursion off the Ship as it saves time tendering in to Belize City.

2. Goff's Caye is about a 20 min boat ride from ship. You take a high speed boat that has a bench seats along the sides. Snorkel equip is passed out during this time.

3. The caye is a postage stamp island - very picturesque.

4. Beach snorkelers are dropped off first and then you are taken out a couple hundred yards to the reef. This is a drift snorkel - with guides front and rear. You will drift snorkel according to which way wind / current is that day. i felt safe.

5. Of course the water is warm and clear and it's beautifull. Snorkeling is good - not great - it all depends on the weather. Lots of coral. If everyone would just drift along you would see even more fish (you'll see lots).

6. When you go back to the island - have the guide take you out and snorkel around the island.... you must be a pretty good swimmer as it is against the current and then drift back - Lots to see - not to be missed.

7. For first timers or anyone else - the guide that got off with you will have you snorkel off of beach according to your ability. Fun Fun Fun

8. No snacks - No Alcohol tour,

9. Worth doing - yes. Next time I'll snorkel the Turneffe Islands for something different. Wish I could of done both.

R.M.H.

Last week my wife and I went to Goff's Caye on the Carnival Legend - Week of 4/22/2007. And this is how it went.....

1. Good idea to take an excursion off the Ship as it saves time tendering in to Belize City.

2. Goff's Caye is about a 20 min boat ride from ship. You take a high speed boat that has a bench seats along the sides. Snorkel equip is passed out during this time.

3. The caye is a postage stamp island - very picturesque.

4. Beach snorkelers are dropped off first and then you are taken out a couple hundred yards to the reef. This is a drift snorkel - with guides front and rear. You will drift snorkel according to which way wind / current is that day. i felt safe.

5. Of course the water is warm and clear and it's beautifull. Snorkeling is good - not great - it all depends on the weather. Lots of coral. If everyone would just drift along you would see even more fish (you'll see lots).

6. When you go back to the island - have the guide take you out and snorkel around the island.... you must be a pretty good swimmer as it is against the current and then drift back - Lots to see - not to be missed.

7. For first timers or anyone else - the guide that got off with you will have you snorkel off of beach according to your ability. Fun Fun Fun

8. No snacks - No Alcohol tour,

9. Worth doing - yes. Next time I'll snorkel the Turneffe Islands for something different. Wish I could of done both.

R.M.H.

The first two times we went there - there were some people who came and brought a large cooler with soft drinks and BELIKIN beer (selling them). The last time (March) those people were not there. Our tour guides said that they (other than that day) were always there.

Was there also nobody there (w/cooler) when you were there? If so.. we will be bringing along a few cool ones.. ! :D

Tom

My husband and I were on the Glory last week and took the Turneffe Atoll snorkel in the PM. We snorkel directly from the boat, but the boat was anchored not far from the island (for the beach break). Experienced snorkelers were directed to one side, inexperinced the other (side with less waves). We were told that we get to snorkel for 45 minutes, then have 45 minutes beach break on the small but very picturesque island. The island was not unlike the island picture from the previous post, but without the dock so people has to swim (very short distance, it's really mostly wading) between the island and the boat. There were many colorful corals (on the experience side) and a lot of sealife, we even saw a huge lobster hiding under a rock. My husband and I stayed out the whole hour and a half snorkeling so cannot tell you much about the island. On the day we snorkeled the current was not strong; there were areas that look surgy, but we stayed away from those. The water was nice and warm. We then boarded the boat for the ride back and were served all you can drink rum punch.

Thank you all for your answers. I really appreciate hearing about your experience and opinion. Just what I was hoping to get.

If anyone else has been to Goff's Caye or Turneffe -- please join in and let me know how it was for you.

THANKS!

We did Goff's Caye last May. My 4 year old daughter and I puttered around on the island while my 9 year old son and my husband snorkeled from the boat. The waves were too much for my son, so he got back in the boat for a bit. My husband said the waves were so rough that he was concerned for the less experienced swimmers in the group. He's a former lifeguard, so he had a difficult time enjoying the tour while worrying about the safety of one gentleman in particular. (Everyone made it back into the boat and back to the island without harm.)

As for me and my daughter, we had a blast on the island, wading in the shallows and looking at the small fish and critters on the reef. There were crabs (hermit and sand) scuttering about, colorful fish right next to shore, and we even discovered an octopus who promptly "inked" and disappeared! Once my husband and son were on the island, I was able to snorkel from shore. Beautiful! Much better than the shore snorkeling I have done at Roatan, Cozumel, or Grand Cayman. Lots of shallow coral formations teeming with fish. Just be careful- it would be easy to get swept into the coral and rocks.

IMG_0203.jpg.917c0ebd1bc445bee4e8b9d936deb2ec.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg.e21f08dd121f4ea70bd46732623e6815.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg.f782bed02cf71624b2deb34dda356a4a.jpg

TomNCheryl,

Thanks for those great pictures. Can I ask you what type of camera you used? :)

Sure - an Olympus 720SW. It is waterproof to 10 feet - good enough for most snorkeling.

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Stylus-720SW-Digital-Optical/dp/B000EA0EDO

They now also have a 770SW which can go to 33 feet.

Tom

I believe I did Goff Caye when I went on my cruise 1 week before hurricane Katrina. I chose to snorkel from the boat. I was 6 months pregnant. I was in the front of the group. The guide said he'd hold my hand in case I got to tired to keep swimming and he'd pull me along lol. I also had the little life ring under my belly (ready to be given up if someone needed it) for a little more support. I enjoyed it! This is the reason I want to return to Belize.

Unfortunately I was to tired to leave the ship after I showered to explore Belize, I went to sleep lol (what you expect from a pregnant girl)

Archived