Formal dress - Is this dress ok?

Hi everyone,

I have a wrap dress and I am trying to "create" different "style" out of it.... how does these two looks?

imgp1220zr0.jpgimgp1222yk9.jpg

Going to wrap around in a shawl... not planning to bring any jewelry onboard.... is it ok? TIA

Oh... I am going on to the BOS (RCCL)

I really like the first one, sort of a modern elegance. The second look is pretty too, just a little more casual. I think you can get by without any jewelry...except maybe one great pair of earrings. Even studs would dress it up a little.

I think you really do need some jewelry and accessories with these outfits.

For a wrap, pick one with some color or texture, possibly shot thru with metallic threads.

Shoes and jewelry need to have some flash as well, IMO.

Well that's very creative. I like the fist one it's almost like a toga but I am not fond of the second style..I think it's the hem that doesn't appeal to me. I agree you might want a bit of Zap from your accessories.Anyways slip a little jewelery in the toe of your shoes!:p

don't think she was referrring to Crapival, i think it was RCCL, and quite frankly i doubt it would work anywhere, but may be one of those dresses that are awesome on some people.

She was.

I was being sarcastic.

There is no font for sarcasm.

Misery,

Looks good. However, I'd bring along some costume jewelry. Jewelry can really make an outfit look different. Black dress with red jewelry or black dress with white jewelry. It would change the look.

Misery, honey, aren't you the same person who started the jeans and t-shirt thread a while back?

DO NOT fret about clothes so much that you ruin the fun of planning and then going on a cruise.

There will always be someone more dressed up than you, whether you're on Carnival, RCCL or one of the more hoity toity lines. There will also be those dressed with little regard to dress codes, decency or common sense. There will be catty women who judge what you're wearing, regardless of how much money and time you spent on it. There will be still others of us who are just so stinkin' happy to be on a cruise we could care less what a complete stranger is wearing. Plus we were raised right and try not to judge people by their clothing.

I do appreciate you making an effort and asking opinions, I know it's difficult to know what to expect ... so those who want to jump in and tell me "well she asked for an opinion," chill out. I'm merely saying reading through some posts on this board would lead one to believe you're going to be thrown overboard if not dressed to the nines. That's not the case. Some worry over it more than others. It really isn't worth the stress!

:D roflmao:D guess i just have trouble giving out the truth. They ask, so I'm honest...... like the old saying "can't handle the heat, get outta da kitchen":rolleyes:

Most times, I think the poster knows exactly what the outfit looks like!

Just types of personalities that need(y) validation:cool:

Okay sarcasm on.....:D

ps you're gonna love Alaska

Hi everyone,

I have a wrap dress and I am trying to "create" different "style" out of it.... how does these two looks?

Going to wrap around in a shawl... not planning to bring any jewelry onboard.... is it ok? TIA

The first look is stunning and sophisticated. The big earrings will really look gorgeous. Getting ready for my sixteenth cruise. Have done RCCL many times, Celebrity, Renaissance now Oceania, Holland America, getting ready to go on Norwegian which has a very relaxed code. Many years ago the most beautifully dressed woman was someone whose suitcases had been lost. She went to a yardgoods store and purchased a length of material. Each night she wrapped it in a different style and looked as if she were in designer inspired fashions. Have fun.

Hi everyone,

I think number one would work very nicely with the correct accessories.

If that is you in the picture...you would certainly look great.

Hi everyone,

First one is okay....but a little "bland" for me. Thumbs down on the second one.

Can you possibly make one of the looks a halter style?

I think the straight across the chest and uneven hem are putting a lot of people off. While I'm not crazy for the first one either, it does look a little more dressy than the second look.

We all have our own taste and it is very subjective and very personal. While I do admire many of the dresses people put here for opinions, probably many more are not what I would choose, although I can try to say something nice about them.

I do think your idea of a wrap dress is excellent, it looks easy to pack and will be a definite space saver. I don't think you should try to save any additional space leaving out accessories though, it can make a plain dress sophisticated and the overall look more pulled together.

Good luck to you with your final choices and feel beautiful wearing them :)

Misery, honey, aren't you the same person who started the jeans and t-shirt thread a while back?

DO NOT fret about clothes so much that you ruin the fun of planning and then going on a cruise.

There will always be someone more dressed up than you, whether you're on Carnival, RCCL or one of the more hoity toity lines. There will also be those dressed with little regard to dress codes, decency or common sense. There will be catty women who judge what you're wearing, regardless of how much money and time you spent on it. There will be still others of us who are just so stinkin' happy to be on a cruise we could care less what a complete stranger is wearing. Plus we were raised right and try not to judge people by their clothing.

I do appreciate you making an effort and asking opinions, I know it's difficult to know what to expect ... so those who want to jump in and tell me "well she asked for an opinion," chill out. I'm merely saying reading through some posts on this board would lead one to believe you're going to be thrown overboard if not dressed to the nines. That's not the case. Some worry over it more than others. It really isn't worth the stress!

Hi judy,

Thanks for your advice... If I have a choice I would like to wear a black pants with a nice shirt for formal nights too.... I don't care whether others are pointing at me or not, I just want to get in the dining room... will pants and nice shirt works for formal nights?? that would even be better than wearing a black dress... thx :p

Hi judy,

Thanks for your advice... If I have a choice I would like to wear a black pants with a nice shirt for formal nights too.... I don't care whether others are pointing at me or not, I just want to get in the dining room... will pants and nice shirt works for formal nights?? that would even be better than wearing a black dress... thx :p

You will be able to get into the dining room with no problem wearing just about anything. If you're like me, you'll feel better about yourself if you look put together and up to date. I am such a disaster without the help of my college age daughter. She calls bad fashion a "fashion emergency"....LOL!! I think it's really fun to shop with someone who is honest and really good at putting clothes and accessories together. Otherwise, clerks can be very helpful. I usually like to try lots and lots of dresses on, because fit is the key and some dresses look completely different once you try them on. Pants are also all about fit and they look better if they have an up to date waist, leg style, and proper length. Do yourself a favor and shop for some special up to date clothes. You deserve it!

You will be able to get into the dining room with no problem wearing just about anything. If you're like me, you'll feel better about yourself if you look put together and up to date. I am such a disaster without the help of my college age daughter. She calls bad fashion a "fashion emergency"....LOL!! I think it's really fun to shop with someone who is honest and really good at putting clothes and accessories together. Otherwise, clerks can be very helpful. I usually like to try lots and lots of dresses on, because fit is the key and some dresses look completely different once you try them on. Pants are also all about fit and they look better if they have an up to date waist, leg style, and proper length. Do yourself a favor and shop for some special up to date clothes. You deserve it!

lmmn, I do have a lot of formal dresses and this one is the least formal (and the one that I dislike the most)... but I am planning to do pre and post cruise trips at different cities so I want to travel as light as possible... so far... I can fit everything into a carry-on luggage... lol.... that's why I want to bring this dress instead of the others.... as long as I can walk into the dining room, I am ok with it.... :p...don't get me wrong, of cuz I won't wear a pair of jeans on formal nights....

Misery1001,

I agree with the others about style #1. It's dressy enough for formal night. I also agree with the others who suggested adding some jewelry, though I disagree with adding red. I'd go for some crystal or something to add sparkle.

The #2 option isn't a great look, IMHO.

Jane

PS - Hey Happy K's, where'd you get that Liberty logo? I'm on the May 7th pre-inaugural! Too bad we're not cruising together!

PSS - The woman to my right is not me nor is she a relative!

Hi judy,

I've seen people on formal nights in nice slacks and shirts... the shirts usually have some sort of sparkle bling on 'em. I've seen everything from pants to things you'd wear to church (although from my experience at church recently, even that wardrobe's gone to the dogs) to prom dresses. Franky, the prom dress set is a little much for me. The cocktail dress seems to be the dress of choice, at least from what I've seen. (I can almost feel flames already)

I completely understand not wanting to take the entire closet with you. My first cruise, I followed the packing list that's been posted on this site ad nauseam. Didn't wear/use/need half of it. Now I pack a day outfit, a night outfit and, if I'm doing something in port that merits it (kayaking, for instance) something for that.

I wear dresses or nice skirts on board every night because with my job, I have more suits and skirts than slacks and jeans. I do pack a formal-night dress because I enjoy formal night.

Here's an idea we're doing for Alaska. We've been told to dress in layers which sounds like a packing nightmare. We're also flying from Atlanta and don't want to be lugging around 18 suitcases apiece. We're doing laundry on board when we need to... if there's a laundry room on your ship, that's an option... they also have a cleaning service you can send stuff out to.

So if you want to treat yourself to a dress-up night, you can pack such attire without leaving something else behind... it just might mean doing a load of laundry. That's a small price to pay for not having to take a dozen and one suitcases.

Regardless of what you wear, I sincerely hope you have a blast on your cruise and make great memories.

The first look is stunning and sophisticated. The big earrings will really look gorgeous. Getting ready for my sixteenth cruise. Have done RCCL many times, Celebrity, Renaissance now Oceania, Holland America, getting ready to go on Norwegian which has a very relaxed code. Many years ago the most beautifully dressed woman was someone whose suitcases had been lost. She went to a yardgoods store and purchased a length of material. Each night she wrapped it in a different style and looked as if she were in designer inspired fashions. Have fun.

I like the one on the left. It makes you look really thin and elegant. When I was on my first cruise (the only one so far), I saw people that cruise all the time and they probably had one really expensive dress they wore each time and then there were some of us that at the last minute had to change the outfit because of buttons missing, no stockings, zipper breaks, etc. that wore just a long dress. After standing in line waiting to get in the dining room, I realized no body really cares what you have on. Enjoy and relax.

Archived