passport? Do we need them

tyty48

JULY 21 07, EASTERN CARRIBAN, 01 Fort Lauderdale, Florida --- 4:00 PM 02 At sea --- --- 03 San Juan, Puerto Rico 5:00 PM --- 04 San Juan, Puerto Rico --- 12:00 AM 04 St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands (Charlotte Amalie) 7:00 AM 6:00 PM 05 Antigua, Antigua and Barbuda 7:00 AM 6:00 PM 06 Tortola, British Virgin Islands 7:00 AM 3:30 PM 07 At sea --- --- 08 Nassau, Bahamas 1:00 PM 8:00 PM 09 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Not this year, but you will next year. If you plan to travel abroad next year, get your passports now. There is no prize delaying until the last minute, only headaches and heartbreak. Already there has been a one year delay for sea entrances to the US. With land entrances also scheduled to go into effect next year, the waiting times will get much worse. Many many more people travel by car over a cruise ship.

Anyone who wishes to travel abroad should get them ASAP.

do we really need passports

i'd say yes, even though it's still technically no (unless you are sailing from san juan). but you're really pushing it now. the backlog is long and you sail in july. you'll have to decide whether you shld go w/o it at this point.

i'd look at the threads on here and pull the info from the posts on who to contact for accurate wait time info.

i have to stand corrected on puerto rico. i am not 100% sure. i know i consider it the caribbean. i think this applies to puerto rico and the USVI. anyway, after pax missing flights and not being able to be flown to meet the ship, i see carnival has finally changed the info...

AIR TRAVEL

Effective January 23, 2007, passports will be required for air travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, The Bahamas and Bermuda. This is an important new requirement for our cruise guests traveling by air to embark or debark in Vancouver for our Alaska or Hawaii cruises. In addition, this new requirement will also impact our Canadian guests that travel by air to or from any of our U.S. embarkation ports.

Carnival strongly recommends that all guests travel with a valid passport during their cruise. This will enable guests to fly from the U.S. to meet their ship at the first port should they miss their scheduled embarkation; and allow guests that must debark the ship before their cruise ends to fly back to the U.S. without significant delays and complications. Additionally, it will greatly help to expedite their debark process.

Actually no passport required now or anytime in the foreseeable future to fly to Puerto Rico from mainland US since it is a US territory. But a passport is still a good thing to have and after Jan '08 any travel outside US or its territories or possesions will require one.

If you have any sort of emergency while on your cruise, you will not be able to fly home without a passport.

Thank You for addressing this issue. We just returned and know one got sick. Been told by Passport Office and Senators Office, you would need them to return from a ship to the US. Senators Office said that is rare and could become overwhelming real fast whitout a passport if allot of passengers got sick. Just passing what we were informed of. Healthy and safe cruising.

Exactly! And that's the best reason to have one.

remember that thread around the time the "no passport, no problem" promo came out (the one where they missed the ship, CCL wanted to fly them to GC to meet it, but the pax cldn't go b/c they didn't have passports)?

well, i'm pretty sure the language bolded in my post above (which wasn't bolded by me, BTW, it's actually bolded on CCL's site) is brand new. interesting... ya knew they'd have to formulate something for their own protection. it's crazy it took them this long to do it.

remember that thread around the time the "no passport, no problem" promo came out (the one where they missed the ship, CCL wanted to fly them to GC to meet it, but the pax cldn't go b/c they didn't have passports)?

well, i'm pretty sure the language bolded in my post above (which wasn't bolded by me, BTW, it's actually bolded on CCL's site) is brand new. interesting... ya knew they'd have to formulate something for their own protection. it's crazy it took them this long to do it.

I remember that one. Pretty much ruined their vacation plans since they couldn't make the flight to GC to meet the ship. No cruise after all that planning and anticipation. What a huge disappointment all for want of a passport.

We completely forgot about passports. This being our first time out of the country and all...we have our DL's and birth certificates but I thought the passort 2008 rule was ONLY if you're FLYING out of the country and to get back in the US

Flying in or out of the US is a 2007 rule, not 2008. The 2008 rule is driving or sailing...in other words land or sea.

You are safe to cruise this year, but like everyone has said before, if you have to fly home in an emergency situation, you will not be allowed to fly home.

Luanne

Archived