My children say no more cruises. What

You all must be rich...

It would be waaaaaayyyyyyy less expensive to to take the family tow or three weeks in Hawaii than a week on a cruise...

I'd love to know how much y'all make in a year... or if maybe you are spending all your retirement money now (i.e., not saving hardly any)... :cool:

You have got to be kidding....you are on a cruise board....we take cruises...you take cruises...you dont go on vacation if you cant afford it. And for your information, we are rich! Rich in love and family time...hehe...on a cruise.

We can cruise or vacation every year with the family in tow and not affect your retirement. When my husband retires, he will have 90% of his wages plus the two retirement plans that I have been saving for since I started working. Not to mention all the investment property that we could and might sell off. We will be better off than before retirement. We will have no house payment and a life full of grandbabies and travel.

We feel that you have to work hard and play hard. You only live once. We arnt part of that 'in debt' society. If you cant pay cash for it, you cant have it.

...you dont go on vacation if you cant afford it.

Do you really believe that...? Do you really believe people don't spend money they they don't have or can not afford...? Do you...? DO you really believe that...? Don't make me start calling you names... :cool:

If I provide you a forum rich with drug addicts who spend on that without thought, would you believe they are making the best finacial chioces, because they thought they were...?

I asked a honest question... I believe you must make a lot of money to afford this, and save up for retirement. Let me ask another way... what percentage of your net income do you spend on family vacations each year...?

I don't think I'd do back to back with kids, unless it was europe. Then you are off the ship nearly every day doing things.

Why not try a different vacation rather than cruising? Ask the kids what they would really like to do.

And if they say stay home, and you can leave them home - do that.

We arnt part of that 'in debt' society. If you cant pay cash for it, you cant have it.

I am there with you on this. What a relief not living my life in debt. It sounds like you are way better off than I am financially but I still only pay cash for everything. If I don't have the cash I don't buy it. I've had to learn the hard way to live like this.

Do you really believe that... do you really believe people don't spend money they they don't have or can not afford... do you...? DO you really believe that...? Don't make me start calling you names... :cool:

I asked a honest question... I believe you must make a lot of money to afford this, and save up for retirement. Let me ask another way... what percentage of your net income do you spend on family vacations each year...?

I don't mind you asking. We are very blessed to be able to do all the stuff we do. My husband has a great job (but puts his life on the line everyday he works) Cruising isnt the only vacations we take. We take one BIG trip a year, be it a cruise or a week somewhere. We spend about $7000 on that trip. Then we also use our season tickets to the Dodgers (we sell 90% of them and use the rest) which cost us about $300 a game with the gas trip (three hour drive one way) dodger dogs and the trip to Old Navy on the way there. The rest of the summer, we camp. We take our motorhome and jetboat to the lake probably six times total all summer. Those trip cost us about $1000 each trip for gas for the boat and food for an army. We also did a week in San Diego in February. It cost us about $2500 total. We probably spend around $20,000 a year on vacations, whether it be a long vacation or lots of day trips to amusement parks and such.

You asked...there it is. Is that what you were looking to hear?

We probably spend around $20,000 a year on vacations,

I'm not knocking what you spend... But I have a hard time believing that most of the folks who spend a lot on vacation can actually afford it in the long run.

Yes... maybe I could afford to take my kids too if I didn't add to my 401K.

But you have to admit...that $20K is likely about 50% of take-home pay for many... not gross pay... but take home pay.

I make a good living... but honestly... I don't know where folks come up with the money unless they are not saving for retirement... or the like. I have to believethat most do not have goof financial skills... or they wouldn't be spending over their heads.

Said another way... I had some stock options come due... so I took the family to Maui for 3 1/2 weeks... and the whole trip, for a family of five,including airfare, was $8500. We are talking having a condo directly on the beach in West Maui and eating and drinking well. However, we did not spend money on excursions... except for three 2-tank 6 SCUBA dives at $60 each I did.

I am there with you on this. What a relief not living my life in debt. It sounds like you are way better off than I am financially but I still only pay cash for everything. If I don't have the cash I don't buy it. I've had to learn the hard way to live like this.

Debbie, we did that too in the early days of our marriage. We learned quickly when we were trying to buy a house many years ago that we had made bad financial decission. It took us years to pay everything off so we could buy our first house.

Now we teach our kids about credit. They want something, they have to work for it, save for it and then buy it with that money. I dont want them to make the same mistakes we made.

I'm not knocking what you spend... But I have a hard time believing that most of the folks who spend a lot on vacation can actually afford it in the long run.

Yes... maybe I could afford to take my kids too if I didn't add to my 401K.

But you have to admit...that $20K is likely about 50% of take-home pay for many... not gross pay... but take home pay.

I make a good living... but honestly... I don;t know where folks come up with the money unless they are not saving for retirement... or the like.

They probably are'nt saving for retirement like you said or they are just counting on their pension. But I think that society today spends about what we spend on vacations but they are charging it. A lot of people dont worry about leaving their love ones with any inheritance...only bills.

I also think that people make more (combined income with a spouse) than you think. Teachers where I live make 40k, I have police friends that made 80k the first year on the job, fire that makes 40k in just overtime, heck you can make 35k just working at the city as a clerk. costco pays great. I think you underestimate incomes. But it isnt the income...,its the debt ratio.

can I do? We took them on 2 back to back one year apart and they loved both. When we got home we asked them when they would like to go on another and they said they don't want to. The older one said he got bored doing the same thing each day.

Is there anything I can do or say to them to change their minds?

I suggest asking your kids where they would like to go or what they would like to do, but only after you've done your research and found the options you are willing to present them with as choices. I found some cruises that seemed to have a port a day in the Caribbean, maybe one of those would work. If they really don't want to, compromise. Take a land vacation next and another cruise for the vacation after that.

I know in our home it is considered a "family vacation" so the whole family gets to help decide what we do. Of course, they get to pick from a few candidates that DH & I have already selected. Then I find things at each destination each kid will enjoy. Usually the three kids zone in on the same one and it's easy. Of course, maybe it's because one's marketed better than the rest. ;)

Also, DH & I take a trip together every Dec. so we have quality alone time. That goes along way in helping to ensure that the family vacation is for the family.

Don't know if any of this helps you, but I hope however it works out, you have a great vacation with your family!! :)

:D You can blame me!! I attacked Ventureman_2000!!!

You actually had an even, honest reply... and I thank you for that.

I suspect the others will be living only on the Social Security welfare rolls... wondering how they will make ends meet whe they are 65. But at least they were able to dragg their kids who didn't think much of cruising... on a cruise.

Besides... the Ship's railings will babysit their children... :cool:

You actually had an even, honest reply... and I thank you for that.

I suspect the others will be living only on the Social Security welfare rolls... wondering how they will make ends meet whe they are 65. But at least they were able to dragg their kids who didn't think much of cruising... on a cruise.

Besides... the Ship's railings will babysit their children... :cool:

I'm Irish!! We attack and then ask questions! LOL

There wont be any social security by the time we retire!!! Scary

You don't even want to know. Heck, I don't even want to know! :rolleyes:

Actually, I was a SAHM for years, went back to work part time doing something I LOVE to help pay for vacations. Hubby is a Sales Manager for a large Engineering firm. His base salary pays our bills, and his commission checks pay for vacations. We're saving for retirement, but you're right, the $40-50K we've spent on cruising would really help that out. However, we also like LIVING our lives and having FUN, and vacations are one of the only ways that we spend that additional income. :) No other expensive hobbies, hubby drives company car, bought a used boat rather than new, etc...

I agree that some people put themselves in debt to take a holiday (not just a cruise)

I see it a lot on the Disney Forum, someone will start a thread complaining they don't have enough money for daycare this week, yet they have a countdown in their signature to the Grand Floridian in the Fall!

I have a financial plan and put X number of dollars away each month in different accounts, one for retirement, one for my daughter, one for holidays. I never go into debt for a holiday and I never tap into Retirement/College funds for $$$

can I do? We took them on 2 back to back one year apart and they loved both. When we got home we asked them when they would like to go on another and they said they don't want to. The older one said he got bored doing the same thing each day.

Is there anything I can do or say to them to change their minds?

Sell them to the gypsys and go on your cruise.

If you want a family vacation and the kids don't want to cruise, you have 3 choices....suck it up and do a land vacation (as they want), don't do a family vacation...take your cruise and leave them home OR drag them on a ship.

To be honest (and I can't believe I'm saying this) ask them where they want to go, and if it's within your means, go there. BUT...the minute they're off to college, take your cruises and as they sit there stunned in front of piles of textbooks, wave bye-bye. ;)

I just want to say that if you were my Mom, I'd be happy to cruise anywhere with you :D

DANG...I definitely was handed the wrong set of parents. :rolleyes: We were lucky to get to a beach in NJ :rolleyes:

How times have changed.

I would suggest a port intensive and educational cuise in the Med.

They would never get bored seeing all the ancient sights that they have studied in their history books.

VentureMan_2000

I really dont think it is really any of your business how people spend their money. As you can see alot of these mothers work, therefore to take these great vacations you are right your wife needs to go back to work. I work two days a week and the rest I work at home so I can be there for my kids. We recently brought my three kids on a cruise we had a balcony room, and the boys had an inside room, it only cost us 3800. Now instead of putting people down for what they do with THEIR money why dont you go out and buy a newspaper and help your wife find a job so you can go to Hawaii again for 3 1/2 weeks.

Kris

VentureMan_2000

I really dont think it is really any of your business how people spend their money.

Kris

I agree. Until the day comes that people are asking him for "his" money to go on vacation, what difference does it make to him what other people do?

I sincerely doubt a family who has only one income from costco is taking cruises every year. They are probably lucky to be able to eat, much less cruise.

my own thought is that cruising is the cheapest family vacation you can take.

...the minute they're off to college, take your cruises ... ;)

I've been trying to do the math on this one....

When the kids are off to college, I won't have to take cruises on school holidays anymore -- very expensive over Presidents Week and Xmas Week (my kids love to cruise). So my vacations will definitelly cost less (plus 2 people rather than 4). But I'll be paying for college. Ouch!

If they're in college and I'm still taking cruises, then I will continue to repeat my mantra: Life is Good!

Archived