?'s About Pride

I have been reading some reviews about getting to the port early because of early sign in or something like that (it gets you in line #1 to get on the ship). We like to get on the ship early, so what time is a good time to get the the port? Also how long does it take to get to the the cruise terminal from LAX? And are the formal nights on Monday and Friday? Thanks for any help any one can give me.:)

I did early check-in for the Pride last week, and it was DEFINITELY the way to go! We got to the port about 10:45. Gave our luggage to the porters and then walked over to the Queen Mary. The line for early check-in there at that time (a little before 11:00) was about 5 minutes long. After completing the paperwork, we walked around the Queen Mary for a while (which even entertained our five year old daughter), and then headed over to the other side of the dome where they let you in to the terminal (there are some benches and grassy areas there). We sat and waited for them to establish the "Zone" lines - maybe about 20 minutes or so, and then we started the process of going through security, embarcation pictures, etc. We were on board by about 12:45. I heard stories from people who arrived later and had to do the regular check-in of standing in line for a couple of hours and it being complete chaos!:eek:

Yes, the formal nights were Monday (the first full sea day) and Friday (after Cabo San Lucas).

Have a wonderful time on your cruise, and I'll be happy to answer any other questions you have, too. (I don't know how long it takes to get from LAX to the pier though - 45 minutes, approximately I would guess depending on traffic).

Thanks for the response. I think we will get there early!!! I dont want to wait in line for 2 hours!! You are able to go and walk around the Queen Mary? Did you have to pay anything? That would be very interesting to see.

OD, sorry we didn't get to meet.

Cupcake--we did early check in as well. We toured the Queen Mary the day before--it kept us occupied for a few hours. I found the history neat.

There are a couple stores near the entrance of the Queen Mary.

In addition by the parking lot there is the "red bus". It will take you to downtown, the pier area, shopping etc. for free. Just about a five minute drive by bus. . . so if you have an extra hour or two that might be fun (there is a restaurant on the pier that boasts the world's most draught beers, a couple candy stores etc).

I am excited for you and jealous. . . . enjoy the week!

Thanks for the response. I think we will get there early!!! I dont want to wait in line for 2 hours!! You are able to go and walk around the Queen Mary? Did you have to pay anything? That would be very interesting to see.

Correct, there is no charge to just walk around the Queen Mary, although they do have more detailed guided tours available that you do have to pay for. We looked at the models they had of various ships, which was cool (that's right near where you do the early check-in), and then walked through the engine room, and through some other exhibits of what the staterooms looked like, etc. When we were there last weekend they also had a hot rod car show, so that was kind of fun to look at, and there are some stores around there too. There are also vendors selling drinks and food and such near the entrance to the terminal.

Please forgive my stupidity but is the Queen Mary you are referring to the ship or a hotel? I am thinking it is the ship.

We are going on the Pride in Nov. I am really appreciative of all the information about the Pride that I read. Also, it seems like the best way to check in is doing what you have done with early checkin at/on the Queen Mary.

How was the entertainment? We loved the entertainment on the Liberty (Jan 07)

Thanks ahead for the info.

Actually the Queen Mary is BOTH a ship AND a Hotel. She is an historic ship who is permanently moored in Long Beach, and is used as a hotel and a floating museum. The Early Check-In for the Pride is at the back of the Queen Mary.

I liked the entertainment very much. We watched the first "revue" show. The dancers were incredible - the singers not so much. We went to both midnight comedy shows and both my husband and I enjoyed them both, although I know some people aren't as crazy about JeRome, I thought he was very funny. What I REALLY enjoyed, and wished I had discovered much earlier in the cruise than I did, was Duane in the Ivory Piano Bar. What a wonderful, fun place that is! Definitely stop in there - but go after the main show has let out. We also cought the "Newlywed/Not So Newlywed Show." That was definitely a "don't miss" show too.

There are so many different choices of things to do, depending on your interests and tates, I'm sure you'll have a great time, and she's SUCH a beautiful ship! Enjoy. I wish I were coming with you!

whats the earliest you can check in and get on the ship?

is 10:00 am a good time to arrive cuzz someone in our group is older and the less stadning around the better

I'm not sure what time they START early check in, but you don't get to BOARD just because you've checked in. When you do early check-in, you take care of all of the necessary paperwork, getting your Sail & Sign card, etc. Then they give you a little slip that says you get to wait in the Zone 1 line (instead of the Zone 2 and Zone 3 lines that people who have not done their paperwork already have to stand in). We completed our paperwork and were on our way a little after 11:00, but we didn't get to go into the terminal until about 12:20.

After check-in at the Queen Mary you can do whatever you'd like to do. We chose to walk around the Queen Mary's engine rooms and such since it interested our 5 year old, but I would not recommend that for older people - too many stairs!

Also be advised that there wasn't that much sitting space near the entrance to the terminal (unless you are okay sitting on the ground/grass). I just stood in a spot guaranteeing a good place in line when it formed, while my hubby took our daughter to sit and play in the shade on some grass not too far away.

Another option for you would be to notify the porters when you arrive that the elderly members of your gruoup require assistance. They will get to sit somewhere and the porters will radio for a wheelchair - this may take a while though according to my mom, who also cruised with us and required this assistance. Once the wheelchair does arrive, they (and you if you are all arriving at the same time) get the VIP treatment, and get to go through a different, shorter line.

Another option would be to arrive later, after the mad rush of people - but I was waaay to eager to get on the ship to do that! LOL:D

Archived