"Open Water"

Philly Steve

Anybody else see this new movie? It's very loosely based on a true story out of Australia. Vacationing couple goes scuba diving and is accidentally left behind by their tour boat. Anyone who has gone on one of these excursions will find the speech by the tour guide familiar. Plus, they used real sharks!

Jaws 2004? Does look interesting, and I understand it's based on a string of true stories. Plus I see there's a new Exorcist. I still can't forget the originals 30 years later.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I think Open Water was just in limited release this weekend and will go nation wide maybe this weekend. From what I saw on the news it did pretty well for just being in a selct number of theaters, so it might be pretty good.

Apparantly these people were vacationing, and as the OP said, they were left behind by their tour operators. The tour operators didn't realize it until they found their personal items on the boat TWO DAYS later!! They had an extensive search, but never found their bodies. What a horrible way to go.

I saw it on Friday. It was good, not a shark horror flick though. There are sharks, but the terrifying thing is being left in the ocean. Being a diver, I can't think of something that scares me more.

Part way through I was thinking that it was only an okay movie, but the end surprised me. I thought the development of fear in the divers was good, though slow. I'll stop there though.

Apparantly these people were vacationing, and as the OP said, they were left behind by their tour operators. The tour operators didn't realize it until they found their personal items on the boat TWO DAYS later!! They had an extensive search, but never found their bodies. What a horrible way to go.

Does this mean you just gave away the end of the movie????

As most divers already know, (and I haven't seen the movie) there is a better chance that they would die in a car crash on their way home from their dive than to be eaten by sharks. :)

I would imagine in this situation most divers would die of exhaustion (drown), exposure (drown) or thirst.

Most sharks that attack humans (a rare event indeed) do so close to shore and usually because they confuse them with sea lions, seals or other natural prey. :)

What is astonishing to me is that the divers could "accidentally" be left at sea in the first place. I would think a head count would be priority number one. It probably is NOW ! ! :D

"There is nothing more placid and calming as the sea. And, yet, nothing more totally unforgiving of even the least amount of ignorance" :(

DH, who just 2 weeks ago returned from a 6 day liveaboard dive trip, said this movie was the topic of discussion a few times during the week....there was definately "head counting" going on after each dive. LOL---NONE of the divers were planning on seeing it upon returning home.

Spoilt

As most divers already know, (and I haven't seen the movie) there is a better chance that they would die in a car crash on their way home from their dive than to be eaten by sharks. :)

What is astonishing to me is that the divers could "accidentally" be left at sea in the first place. I would think a head count would be priority number one. It probably is NOW ! ! :D

"There is nothing more placid and calming as the sea. And, yet, nothing more totally unforgiving of even the least amount of ignorance" :(

If you see the movie you can realize how easy it is to miscount. THe approach this operator took is obviously not the best.

No, I didn't give away the ending!! That story was about a true couple, I have no idea what happens in the movie. :)

The story is based upon true events, so with the divers never getting to tell their story, most of it is fiction!

Archived