Hiking to Saloman Beach in St. John

Karysa

We were thinking of doing the mile hike from Cruz Bay to Saloman Beach and have a few questions from anyone who may have done this. Was it worth it? Did you feel safe? Was the beach as pretty as the other beaches in the National Park?

Karysa... Most definitely worth it!! Salomon is our favorite beach on St. John among a bunch of awesome beaches! The hike is scenic, easy (only a little steep at the beginning and end), and safe. We've hiked it several times and never felt the least bit uneasy. The beach is stunning: soft, powdery, white sand; crystal clear water; good snorkeling; beautiful palms for shade; and gorgeous views! And its also usually very quiet, since there is no road access. There are also no facilities of any kind, so make sure to pick up some water/drinks/snacks before you head out. You can also hop (or swim) over to Honeymoon, which is the next beach over, and is also nice, but it tends to get some "party boat" traffic so its a little more crowded. Believe me, you will not regret going. Have a great time!!

Thanks 2 feathers the way you described it I wish I didn't have to wait until January to experience it! Do you hike it both ways or do you catch a taxi by Caneel Resort for the trip back?

We've never hiked on to Caneel from Salomon, but hear its a flatter, short hike on to there, if you'd prefer not to hike back up the hill toward Cruz Bay. Plus its a good way to hit a third St. John beach, at Caneel, which is nice, and eat lunch at their restaurant if you like, before catching a taxi back. Either way you're going to have a great time! I'm very jealous!!

Archived