Star Cabin Assigned---Questions

We booked an oceanview guarantee (category H) on the 8/29 Star sailing, and have now been assigned cabin #8122 on Deck 8, which is a category G. I have a lot of questions about this cabin (obstructed view stateroom, two lower beds and picture window) and was hoping some of you Star veterans might be able to help. Your answers will help determine if I try to upgrade further, at some considerable expense of course.

On the one hand, it might be a good assignment, because it has a picture window when we could have wound up with a porthole and it's close to the stairs and elevators. However, it is an obstructed view and the brochure deck plan clearly shows a life boat outside the window. It is also a handicapped accessible cabin, which we do not need.

Does anyone have experience with these Deck 8 obstructed view cabins? How obstructed are they? Do the life boats hang well above sight line, or do they block the views? Views are so important in Alaska!

Also, what are the main differences between handicapped accessible cabins and "regular" cabins? Of course the doors are wider and that's fine (it might come in handy after the Chocaholic buffet!!) Are the showers built differently? Are the closet rods unusually low or are there other inconveniences or quirks we should be aware of? Is the square footage larger? They look larger on the deck plan.

Thanks in advance for any answers or advice you might offer!

I don't know if it holds true for a cruise ship, but I would assume it would be similar to hotel rooms in which handicapped accessible rooms are usually quite a lot larger than the "standard" to allow for maneuvering wheelchairs. That could be to your benefit.

As for view obstruction, I think I remember the lifeboats being fairly low, below eyelevel, but with fairly wide spaces between each boat.

Oh my! No contest on my part. I would definitely keep 8122 . You won't get anywhere near that amount of room except in the cases of a hefty price difference or a small miracle.

I do not know the particulars on the showers, etc., but we had a handicapped room at the Marriott pre-cruise and, although things were set up differently (railings by the commode, no lips on shower entry floors, etc), there was nothing particularly inconvenient for a non-handicapped person. Perhaps someone who has stayed in one of these rooms on the Star can elaborate for us:) . I have popped my head into one of the handicapped cabins on the Star, and I would say that the only difference/drawback compared to the standard cabins is that it may seem a little more spartan, as it is, of course, very spacious (comparatively), and uncluttered.

I have found that I haven't used my windows as a "sit beside and gaze out at the scenery" type amenity, but more of a "let in the natural light and be able to tell what time of day it is" type amenity. There is usually a table or bed under the window. You often have to make an effort to look out, so I end up being out on deck anyway. So I, personally, wouldn't trade this cabin for anything less than a balcony room. (Many people say that the balcony is worth it, especially for Alaska, but it depends on your budget, of course).

Location: If you are planning to use mostly the free dining venues, this is an exellent location--close to both the Versailles and Aqua, as well as the Blue Lagoon and the Market Cafe. The grand atrium is also very conveninet. We were in 8139 and really felt conveniently located.

Have a great time on the STAR, we did:D .

Oh, another comment on the Star cabins, the showers are exceptional as far as cruise showers go. Our standard inside had a shower area twice the size of those usually found on ships. It had a sliding glass door and wall on one side and a double faucet that allowed you to set or change your temp with one lever and control the flow with the other. It was primo, so although the handicapped shower may be bigger, you are still doing very well in a regular!

Hi, zimmerjulie. Thanks for the advice. The roominess would be great, if the cabin has the same basic amenities as a regular ocean view. The location also looks great. I'm looking forward to trying the Blue Dolphin based on recommendations from these boards.

When you say "spartan", did it look like it had the same basic furniture as a regular oceanview? Did you happen to notice if it had the refrigerator, and if the beds come together?

I have also asked my TA to get a few answers from NCL.

Thanks again,

Jeri

Jeri: I believe all the rooms have little fridges and the beds can be put together. Lucky you!! I booked a BE gty and am fighting this morning to be put back on gty after NCL assigned me a room like 3 days after I booked this thing. If I wanted an assigned room - I would have picked one out myself....lol!!

Emi

Yes, it looked like the same furniture, just more spread out. The beds were in the "twin" configuration, as all of the cabins were upon embarkation, but I am confident that they can be moved together.

I did not notice if they had the mini refrigerator. I think they do, though.

Well, my TA just got back to me with info from NCL about the handicapped accessible cabin #8122, and I thought some might be interested.

There is definitely an obstructed view from the life boats. We will be able to see if it's day or night, but that's about it :)

There is no walkway right outside the window, so we will have our privacy.

This type of cabin is larger than the standard OV, and has all the same amenities, furniture, refrigerator, safe, etc. The only difference in the bathroom is grab bars for extra stability.

And finally, there are no balcony cabins available for that sailing to upgrade to, even at our expense, so we will relax and enjoy the spacious surroundings!

Less than three weeks to go---and two weeks 'til we leave for a driving trip along the Northwest coast.

By the way, in case anyone wants a restaurant recommendation for a Seattle brunch before your cruise, I highly recommend Salty's. It's on the West side of the bay (across from downtown Seattle) and has a great view of all the cruise ships in port and a terrific seafood brunch buffet. I can taste the oysters now!

I haven't sailed on your ship, but did get assigned an inside handicapped cabin on Serenade of the Seas when we booked an inside guarantee. A small family of nomads could have moved in there with us. We looked at the other inside cabins and ours was twice the size! It was WONDERFUL having all the room to spread out. The only difference was that the shower sloped down from the bathroom floor slightly and had no lip on it for doors, rather, there was a curtain so that you could roll a wheelchair into it. That said, it was large enough for a wheelchair and more! I don't know if NCL sets their handicapped bathrooms up the same way. Also, I don't how NCL handles this, but on the RCI ships, when you insert your card key into the lock for a handicapped room the door opens automatically and stays open for about 45 seconds, supposedly to give enough time for a wheelchair occupant to get safely inside. You could not close the door physically. I tell you this in warning, as one evening my husband opened the door when I was standing in my underwear--let's just say luckily no one chose that moment to walk by...easily my most embarassing cruise moment! :eek:

Don't you just hate it when something like that happens and you are in what you think is the best spot to try to hide....then you look up and there is a huge mirror or something showing your reflection to the world!

Nice warning though - maybe a knock before you open the door is a very good thing to remember especially in such tight quarters.

Emi

Archived