Maasdam Canada ports question

Bingo

Bodger, In earlier posts I was going to mention "FRED", but once I checked the schedule, I discovered that it only runs from July to October, but it is a great (and free) way to see the downtown and surrounding area.

This evening, I checked the port schedule and I saw that the Maasdam will be coming in this Sunday at 8am. As I live on the outskirts of the city, near the mouth of our harbour, I get great morning and evening views of all the ships that come in and out. I needed a distraction for Sunday, as it will the first Mother's Day without my Mom, so I'm planning on getting up early to get some incoming pics of the Maasdam, then head downtown to take more and grab some breakfast while I'm at it. I'll be sure to post them for those who are interested.

Thanks to everyone for the info.

Ruth, I didn't ralize that it is almost ten years now since the crash, and I don't remember any news coverage about cruise ship involvement in the search. Thanks for adding that. (See Swiss Air monument photo below.)

Haligonian, I didn't stop to realize that FRED was just in the peak summer months. We were there in August and saw FRED all the time. It was a good way to get around.

Codger, you are absolutely correct. I have been to the Maritime provinces half a dozen times, all but once by car, and you do need at least two weeks.

From Toronto it is the same distance to Halifax, NS or Jacksonville, FL, about 1850 KM or 1200 miles. Our last trip saw us rack up 5000KM/3000 miles, including Cape Breton and returning through New England. We took my 85 year old mother, who had never been to the east coast of Canada, and stopped at many of the same places that the ships dock at.

Another place that I went to for the first time was Hopewell Rocks near Moncton, NB. (This is not reasonable to do from a ship tour unfortunately.) It is the site of the highest tides in the world. When the tide is out you can walk on the ocean floor which is quite an amazing experience. When the tides come in there can be a difference of up to fifty feet. (See second photo.)

We don't always realize what a wonderful country we live in.

Bodger

4164564_DSC_1802(WinCE).JPG.1055ee90f794c067b466272319148acd.JPG

SwissAir.jpg.eb0b8561c150a507c734d904f3267200.jpg

Archived