Safe storage of a laptop on the Dawn

Hi! I'm bringing my MacbookPro on the Dawn and wondering where it can be stored. Are the safes large enough for it to fit (I'm in a standard balcony cabin)? Or am I being overly concerned and possible theft isn't an issue?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Hi! I'm bringing my MacbookPro on the Dawn and wondering where it can be stored. Are the safes large enough for it to fit (I'm in a standard balcony cabin)? Or am I being overly concerned and possible theft isn't an issue?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

It won't fit in the safe. I've always left mine out on the desk, but you might want to put it out of site. I've heard of others locking it in a suitcase under the bed.

It won't fit in the safe. I've always left mine out on the desk, but you might want to put it out of site. I've heard of others locking it in a suitcase under the bed.

I do the same - low risk on a ship unless you happen to leave your door ajar and a passeger grabs it. Even then with cameras onboard (2000 on the Jewel :eek: ) you should still get it back. Look outside your cabin you will see a camera that records everyone passing your room. My camera was taken in a bar by a passenger using the time stamp on my bar receipt they will able to find the video and identify the passenger. I got my camera back.

The crew has nowhere to take a laptop. Unlike a hotel no car outside to take it home. Every entry (card swip) of your room is time stamped and linked to the owner of the card. No way a member of the crew would take the chance.

Relax enjoy your laptop and more important your cruise.:)

on any cruise, i am more worried about others walking by..seeing any open door and helping themselves. for that reason, when i leave the room i tuck important stuff out of the way. for alaska, the laptop went behind the curtain, next to the sofa...no big deal. i have never had a worry about the room stewards, they have treated my items very well.

the other thing with laptops, i didn't want to leave them where they could be knocked off...wanted to get them out of the way of anyone working in the cabin.

Many cruises, always take a laptop with me and leave it on a table, plugged in. Not only has it never been stolen, but even the crew will barely touch it. A stolen laptop is a very unlikely event -- hardly worthy of your worry.

Bill

When I was on the Star the cabin steward learned when I was and was not in the room. So my room always got cleaned while I was away. One day I did a little shopping and when I returned the door was open and cabin steward was cleaning the balcony. I walked in, put my stuff away and walked out, and the cabins steward never saw me. Rather than add something, I could easily have removed something.

So, since the laptop will not fit in the safe, take a cable lock and not only lock it to something, but lock it inside the suit case. Take normal precautions, and there should be no problem.

Archived