Newbie to posting!

I just want to say thanks to this board. I've been using all the suggestions and information since our first cruise and received lots of help.

So Thanks to All.

Our group has booked Carnival Liberty 5-10-2008.

What suggestions can you offer for the ports: Costa Maya,Mexico

Limon,Costa Rica & Colon Panama.

We average 55+yrs but very Young At Heart! Some move a little slower than others,so no underwater or boating trips.

Thanks,

Balconybaby

Welcome to CC!!!!!

I am very new myself and the vast amount of tips and suggestions are wonderful. I am about to embark on my very first cruise and I have learned so much from these boards that I almost feel like I have already cruised.

Good luck and have fun

Thanks Karen 1225

for the welcome. You will love cruising, you can never have a bad time.

Our group of 16 even lost our luggage for the first 3 days,but we still had a great time. I just don't know what to plan for the shore trips.

Balconybaby

Welcome Balconybaby! It sounds like you already realize what a wealth of information can be found here. I might recommend you visit the Ports of Call board. Each port is listed and there are a ton of ideas, reviews and suggestions there. We've been to all the ports you've listed and can at least tell you what we did.

In Costa Maya, we took the bus into Majahual and found a little sea-side bistro to relax at. They have tents sitting right in the sand with tables and chairs, or you can use their loungers. The food was great, they kept the drinks coming, and it was our favorite stop. Very relaxing! In Limon, we took the Green Train excursion which was nice but really bumpy. For Panama, I highly recommend the canal tour on a ferry. It's a little pricey, but going through the locks is a once in a lifetime experience and something I'd consider a "don't miss". I know some people considered it boring, but we're in the same age range as you, and found it fascinating. Have a ball!:D

I can't for the life of me remember the name of the place, but it's right across the road from where Tapa's used to be (or maybe is again). It was last year when we were there. It's not very far from where the bus lets you off, as no traffic is allowed down the main drag such that it is. There are places side by side all along the waterfront. They also offer massages on the beach which were quite an experience! Those little girls are strong!:D We loved the unhurried atmosphere and sitting in the sand 10 feet from the water. We would do it again in a heartbeat!

Balconybaby a newbie to this board also, but welcome. I have gained a "ton" of good info here. We leave in a week on the same itnerary :D we are your age taking our kids 23 and 20 can let you know about ports on return. Son wants to do the two oceans by train in Panama we have heard do the train or the ferry he choose train. Daughter wants to zip line in Costa Rica. :eek: I will be the one the the cast, and back brace after that. Looking forward to a great time.

Here's a good picture of the pier of Costa Maya, make sure that your group has good walking shoes as this is the longest pier I have ever been on. Head to Fishermans Village for a nice massage on the beach, talk them down to 15.00 for 45 minutes.

In Costa Rica we went to the Dole Banana Plantation, it was a fun experience, theres alot to learn about bananas.

In Panama, we stayed onboard since they issued us a notices to not to stray off into the side streets as this is a very dangerous port.

Picture of Costa Maya:

IMG_8445_800x533.jpg

Picture of our massage Table on the top level at Fishermans Village:

IMG_8394_800x533.jpg

Balconybaby, welcome to cruise critic. We did the 2 oceans by rail and had a great time in Panama. Costa Rica we booked a private tour with okeydokeytours and also had a great time. As for Costa Maya, it depends on what you like, we went to Majahual and just relaxed. Got an excellent massage right on the beach. Would do that again in a heartbeat. Have a great cruise!

Thanks to you all. I will share this info with the group.

Popcorngal, that seaside bistro sounds great, if you remember the name please pass it on we have a whole year.

Rosie Roo and Wennfred your advise well appreciated.

Wennfred, loved the photo, 5-10-08 is too far away.

Caliberi, I've heard of okeydokey from this board, so that helps,too.

I will be checking the board from time to time to see what other info comes up.

RNCHHC, have a wonderful trip and yes anything you can share please do. I will be watching for the review.

Thanks all, :)

Archived