Indie July 2008!?!

Hi all,

Just booked Indie for 12 July 2008. Anyone know the full SP on Freedom class ships? We have 2 kids who will be 14 and 11. We have cabin 7348 which is a delux balcony (177 square feet) with sofa bed for the kids.

I love doing things with the kids - the pool, table tennis, basketball etc. - and we love a drink and fine dining. We went on the Sea Princess two years ago but it was a little dated and not much to get families involved during the day; it was kids club or nothing basically. the Cruise Director told all of the families on board that if they wanted more they were on the wrong brand. Having said that, the shows and acts etc. were wonderful.

We have asked for second seating and a table for 4, but are not sure how it all works and whether we will end up sharing anyway. Sea Princess has anytime dining which was just like going to a restaurant at home, meeting different people (some you like, some you don't, some who even don't like you!). The food was great and the waiters wonderful with the kids. The kids even booked their own table for one formal night with their friends which was a pleasure to see.

We actually know 50% the itinerary so there are some lovely places we want to go back to (Lisbon especially) and some new ones we fancy (Sardinia, i think). Plus we know Soton and where the FREE parking is so that's dead easy.

I read the stuff about dress code but was shocked to read that it suggests a tie for smart. Wow! Ties are what grandads wear to do the garden and what business people (like me) wear for work. I don't mind on formal nights but there will be none of that! I have already put in my will (I know, it's a long time off) that nobody should wear a tie so there is no way I am going aged on my holidays. But there seems to be a lot of places to eat anyway. I was surprised to see a charhe for the burger bar but I suppose that's to stop the kids just being in and out all day.

We took drinks on the Sea Princess. A box of white and a box of red, but our final drinks bill was still such a lot. We also bought soda cards for the kids but I see lemonade on RCI is free - the'll just have to make do!

I just hope we get the weather. July could be OK in the UK, and if it is we are fine. But if it's raining, we could lose a day or so each way but then again we are on a 14 night trip.

So, we don't know RCI at all. I wonder what's free and what's paid for. Tips are obligatoryt which seems to take away their essence, but if that's it then that's it. even for the kids. OK. The ship looks like there is loads for kids, hopefully they will get their fair share of 'goes'.

Right, I think that's about it.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Nick

PS - has anyone seen any great threads re Indie?

We are also booked for 2008 (September) and are just as excited! Not sure what you mean about tips being obligatory. We opted out at the time of booking and will pay them onboard, according to the service we receive. Have never given anything less than the full amount before, but at least it gives me the option if I am unhappy about a particular aspect of service (which I am sure I won't be).

We have asked for second seating and a table for 4, but are not sure how it all works and whether we will end up sharing anyway.

Small table size is 4-6 so you may end up sharing with a couple, or you may get lucky and get a table to yourselves.

Plus we know Soton and where the FREE parking is so that's dead easy.
RCL do not make this booking for you - you must make it yourself (or get your T/A to!) before 31 Dec this year.

I read the stuff about dress code but was shocked to read that it suggests a tie for smart.
I think you can get away with a collared shirt and no tie!
But there seems to be a lot of places to eat anyway. I was surprised to see a charhe for the burger bar but I suppose that's to stop the kids just being in and out all day.
Yes, it is $3.95 to eat in Johnny Rockets - they start by bringing you onion rings and these are refilled before you even order. The speciality restaurants {no children under 13] are $20pp and well worth it

We took drinks on the Sea Princess. A box of white and a box of red, but our final drinks bill was still such a lot. We also bought soda cards for the kids but I see lemonade on RCI is free - they'll just have to make do!
Not even touching the subject of sneeking booze on board (there are a million posts on the subject!) but the soda cards are $4 for kids and $6 for adults.

Tips are obligatoryt which seems to take away their essence, but if that's it then that's it. even for the kids. OK. The ship looks like there is loads for kids, hopefully they will get their fair share of 'goes'.
Another frequently covered subject - lets just say that in the UK the cruise price is quoted inclusive of the tips. The tips go to the 4 people who serve you most - that is your room steward, your waiter and asst waiter, and your headwaiter. On the last night you will get envelopes in your room and a sheet of preprinted vouchers - put the voucher in the envelope and give to the person. I do not think that they know who has prepaid (therefore their money is safe) but someone else has said they do know - so who knows!!! Any drink you buy will have 15% service charge added to the bill automatically. There is a wine package you can buy too.

Hope this helps!

Archived