Post Journey Answers here:

JPH814

The one thing that gets me is many people take only ONE big vacation a year. If this was their ONE planned vacation it was RUINED. Granted next year they can take it again but for this year its over. I do feel for those who waited a year for a vacation as many do and then this cruise line just say "well its free". I'm sorry that isn't right in my opinion.

Thank you to all for the follow-up info! All of this isn't making me feel very hopeful about a successful inaugural on Quest...I hardly think the company will give away a 12-night cruise for this trip. Maybe it will get delayed or cancelled. I don't want to find out that we have no cruise at the last minute. Ah well, if this is my biggest problem in life, then I've got nothing to complain about...:o

Hi High Hair !

I know how you feel, but I believe Azamara will spend a great deal of time reviewing what happened over the past week or so, and do everything possible to make sure this doesnt happen again with Quest. With that said, I offer a word of caution : this is why I prefer to stay away from Innuagural sailings, as problems should be expected. You have to go with what your own comfort level is. Good luck !

We'll stick with our inaugural booking on Quest and look past the possible glitches. We'll count on X to pull it together and learn from Journey's lackluster beginning. Being diehard RCI/X fans, except for that transgression on Princess, it is hard to find another X ship in the Caribbean in the fall. Happy Sailing to all! :cool:

With all these bad reviews, I'm worried about our June 2 sailing. I wonder if they would let me transfer the money to another cruise.

Hi Apfra !

I wouldnt go so far as to say "all these bad reviews". Its understandable to have some problems on the first sailing of any ship. Hopefully, things will be much improved by your sailing. I know if I were sailing in 2 weeks, I would still be going, but thats only my opinion.

If you are that concerned, you can always give Azamara a call, but I highly doubt they will let you switch your sail date at this point. Good luck !

OK, we did some complaining, and I will save the rest for the cruise line, but there was good news. She really is a beautiful little ship. All three restaurants were wonderful. Here is a pic of a dessert served Thursday night when they served the lobster. It included a small creme broulet, strawberry shortcake, sponge cake parfait, chocolate mousse and a chocolate covered coconut thing that was out of this world.

MaryJean i will be leaving on the 6/23 journey to bermuda. your info and pictures have helped me a lot!! we were getting the run around as far as attire went and you have cleared that up and so much more!! again thank you very much!!:)

Thank you to all the posters from the first Journey cruise. At first I thought yee all complained too much but after reading many of the comments I must say that being the recipient of a free cruise does not give Celebrity, oops, Azamara the right to treat the passengers like flotsam and jetsam. So, please accept my appologies for my initial thoughts. The Azamara concept is very good, especially for people like me with kids growing up and moving on over the next few years. I hope things are better by our cruise on July 7 and over the years. Again thanks for the comments.

One common comment-Many are raving about the food. I am getting hungry already!

[quote name='MaryJean56']OK, we did some complaining, and I will save the rest for the cruise line, but there was good news. She really is a beautiful little ship. All three restaurants were wonderful. Here is a pic of a dessert served Thursday night when they served the lobster. It included a small creme broulet, strawberry shortcake, sponge cake parfait, chocolate mousse and a chocolate covered coconut thing that was out of this world.[/quote]

Did you choose one or two of these or are you saying that they are all parts of a single dessert? If all are included I need to up my weight loss target. I was taught that I have to finish everything placed in front of me.

I was a passenger on the 05/05 Journey cruise and because of it I have become a first time poster to this board. I have read all of the posts here and I am squarely in icecreammama's corner as to how I felt after this cruise. I feel Azamara completely dropped the ball in the underhanded way we were shuffled into a what can only be described as a construction cruise. The ship was filthy. There was construction going on in all areas, especially the pool area, which only became available for use on the day we docked in Bayonne. Lots of furniture was missing from staterooms, which we observed the construction crew building on the cruise. Phones, heat, plumbing, televisions, the list goes on.

A little history. This is my second cruise, the first on the Millennium last year. I fell in love with the cruising life immediately and it is a form of vacation I will avail myself in the future. After booking this cruise, we were called by X about 2 months ago stating the ship change and that we would be enjoying this new acquisition. We (and we gather many others from the discussions with other passengers) received calls again the DAY BEFORE the cruise stating that we would be enjoying, to quote,"a wonderfully enhanced experience." Other terms such as a cut above, etc.,were bantered about on this call, and we were left with the impression that we would be extremely impressed by our cruise. This in the face of the fact that they KNEW the ship was in this state.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I had bought more than a mere ride on a ship. I was under the impression that the cruise line was selling an EXPERIENCE. The pampering, the relaxation, and the fun were I thought part of this experience.

From the delay at the terminal and the herding like cattle on buses to and from a hotel 40 miles away to the other complaints others have already voiced (and believe me, I have a laundry list of complaints myself) this cruise turned into a nightmare from the first day to the last.

My anger and disappointment are not only because of the absolute falsehoods the cruise line used on us in those phone calls but the fact that they took a much more precious commodities from all of us. Time and memories! The time a young newlywed couple we met had taken to celebrate their union to each other. Wow, what memories!! Or the couple we met celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary. Or my sisters 50th birthday on May 8th. Or my and my wife's cruise celebrating our 15th year together. There are many others. My week of vacation taken from work and from my life to enjoy. That one being particularly important in light of the fact that I am a cancer survivor. Time is my most precious asset, and in reality it is all for all of us, those most of us aren't reminded of it on a regular basis. They had no right, compensation or not, to scam us into a cruise which, as was stated, was so miserable that some chose to fly home from Bermuda. When was the last time you heard of that on a cruise?

I don't want this to be completely negative as there were a few positives. The Journey is a beautiful ship and when completed and shaken down will be a fine cruise. Her accouterments were very impressive. The cuisine was excellent in all the dining areas. And last, but certainly not least, the staff and crew on this ship performed in a most exemplary manner. I have read the complaints here and truthfully I have a few of my own but given the abysmal condition the ship was in and what they were up against I think they far surpassed what was expected of them. If you're reading this Azamara they deserve a raise!

[quote name='cruisingdelt']Did you choose one or two of these or are you saying that they are all parts of a single dessert? If all are included I need to up my weight loss target. I was taught that I have to finish everything placed in front of me.[/quote]

They were all part of the same dessert - we got everything shown in maryjean56's picture! It was great.

Other desserts were equally super. My favorites were the apple tart in the dining room, and the velvet cappuccino in Prime C.

[quote name='Strayyycat']I was a passenger on the 05/05 Journey cruise and because of it I have become a first time poster to this board. I have read all of the posts here and I am squarely in icecreammama's corner as to how I felt after this cruise. I feel Azamara completely dropped the ball in the underhanded way we were shuffled into a what can only be described as a construction cruise. The ship was filthy. There was construction going on in all areas, especially the pool area, which only became available for use on the day we docked in Bayonne. Lots of furniture was missing from staterooms, which we observed the construction crew building on the cruise. Phones, heat, plumbing, televisions, the list goes on.

A little history. This is my second cruise, the first on the Millennium last year. I fell in love with the cruising life immediately and it is a form of vacation I will avail myself in the future. After booking this cruise, we were called by X about 2 months ago stating the ship change and that we would be enjoying this new acquisition. We (and we gather many others from the discussions with other passengers) received calls again the DAY BEFORE the cruise stating that we would be enjoying, to quote,"a wonderfully enhanced experience." Other terms such as a cut above, etc.,were bantered about on this call, and we were left with the impression that we would be extremely impressed by our cruise. This in the face of the fact that they KNEW the ship was in this state.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I had bought more than a mere ride on a ship. I was under the impression that the cruise line was selling an EXPERIENCE. The pampering, the relaxation, and the fun were I thought part of this experience.

From the delay at the terminal and the herding like cattle on buses to and from a hotel 40 miles away to the other complaints others have already voiced (and believe me, I have a laundry list of complaints myself) this cruise turned into a nightmare from the first day to the last.

My anger and disappointment are not only because of the absolute falsehoods the cruise line used on us in those phone calls but the fact that they took a much more precious commodities from all of us. Time and memories! The time a young newlywed couple we met had taken to celebrate their union to each other. Wow, what memories!! Or the couple we met celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary. Or my sisters 50th birthday on May 8th. Or my and my wife's cruise celebrating our 15th year together. There are many others. My week of vacation taken from work and from my life to enjoy. That one being particularly important in light of the fact that I am a cancer survivor. Time is my most precious asset, and in reality it is all for all of us, those most of us aren't reminded of it on a regular basis. They had no right, compensation or not, to scam us into a cruise which, as was stated, was so miserable that some chose to fly home from Bermuda. When was the last time you heard of that on a cruise?

I don't want this to be completely negative as there were a few positives. The Journey is a beautiful ship and when completed and shaken down will be a fine cruise. Her accouterments were very impressive. The cuisine was excellent in all the dining areas. And last, but certainly not least, the staff and crew on this ship performed in a most exemplary manner. I have read the complaints here and truthfully I have a few of my own but given the abysmal condition the ship was in and what they were up against I think they far surpassed what was expected of them. If you're reading this Azamara they deserve a raise![/quote]

You know, I can totally undertsand and relate to this. Although I read on here about many who were getting their "free cruise"... I did think..what about the people who cannot just up and off at any time, and time is so precious to them. I had a land vacation which was very special to us, it all went horribly wrong and sure, was given a free replacement vacation BUT it took away a year of dreaming, a year of planning and totally precious time which cannot be replaced. I would have been livid had it been us on that cruise. Celebrity messed up big time on that one!
Money is not always everything in life, sometimes, its the moment which is more valuable.
Happy future cruising to you!

[quote name='Blondie007']You know, I can totally undertsand and relate to this. Although I read on here about many who were getting their "free cruise"... I did think..what about the people who cannot just up and off at any time, and time is so precious to them. I had a land vacation which was very special to us, it all went horribly wrong and sure, was given a free replacement vacation BUT it took away a year of dreaming, a year of planning and totally precious time which cannot be replaced. I would have been livid had it been us on that cruise. Celebrity messed up big time on that one!
Money is not always everything in life, sometimes, its the moment which is more valuable.
Happy future cruising to you![/quote]

Exactly right. Just because it is free does not make it desirable. We had a sales contest several years ago - and the winners won a week on Carnival - all expenses paid. Did I go? Not a chance. A week is just too important to me - especially when it is a vacation week.

Did you ever post another album of pictures? I viewed the first album and thought they were very nice. I really appreciated all of them. I will be taking the same cruise on 10/13 and am grateful for any and all input and of course, pictures! I am excited about this new cruise line and I feel confident that by the time I sail all of the problems and difficulties experienced by everyone on the first sailings will be solved.

have some important information for you below to share with your guests that are cruising on Azamara Cruises. We want our guests to feel comfortable and informed about their vacation and meet their expectations.

Below are answers to some questions that continue to arise.

Children's programming - "For the majority of the Azamara Journey Bermuda season (the 5/19 - 8/25 sailings) , we will have Youth Staff onboard and a full X-Club Youth Program. The activities will closely mirror what would have been offered on Zenith, however there is not a dedicated venue/facility. Post Bermuda, Azamara Cruises will no longer offer any formal children's programming or have Youth Staff onboard. On port days, shore excursions deemed “easy” may be more suitable for families with children. Additionally, we will be offering rentals of Sony PSP (Portable PlayStation) units.

During the 5/19 - 8/25 sailings in Bermuda, we will also offer the usual group baby-sitting services as conducted by the Youth Staff at $6 pp/hour. (Afternoon Party 12pm-2pm, Dinner Party 5pm-7pm and Slumber Party 10pm-1am).

For all Azamara Cruises sailings, In-Stateroom baby-sitting is conducted by Housekeeping and is based on limited availability at a rate of $8/hour.

Smoking - the two designated areas for smoking are conveniently located and never more than a few minute walk away from any of the staterooms or public venues.
Dress Code/Formal Attire - While formal attire is not required for any of the evenings on board, guests should always feel comfortable in wearing formal attire if they so desire. Many guests may choose to do this if celebrating a special occasion and are welcome to do so.
Azamara Quest - Azamara Quest will be following the same policies and guidelines as Journey. These are Azamara brand policies, e.g. smoking, attire, etc. and will not vary by ship.

[quote name='surfklutz']Exactly right. Just because it is free does not make it desirable. We had a sales contest several years ago - and the winners won a week on Carnival - all expenses paid. Did I go? Not a chance. A week is just too important to me - especially when it is a vacation week.[/quote]

First prize: One week Carnival cruise
Second prize: Two week Carnival cruise

I agree..."free" is not the same as pleasurable, enjoyable, desirable.

[quote name='eph89']They were all part of the same dessert - we got everything shown in maryjean56's picture! It was great.

Other desserts were equally super. My favorites were the apple tart in the dining room, and the velvet cappuccino in Prime C.[/quote]

I will now go onto the treadmill. pre-emptively;)

I would like to know if they had trivia and other games such as pictionery etc. as they do on Celebrity? Did you have any interaction with the Activities Staff? We were on the final Zenith cruise and I know that Natalie was coming over as Activities Director and Yonlandie as part of the staff. Was Matt there? He got off Summit on 3/17 when we got off. He was heading for vacation and then was to go to Journey. We sailed with Matt for 5 cruises in a row, so we missed him on Zenith. We have booked Journey for 10/13 and are hoping he will be there.

While we would have loved being on this less than perfect cruise and getting a full refund, I now understand those of you who are upset. At first I thought you were whining about a free cruise but now I realize that not all folks are in our position. We are retired and cruise frequently. If we had been on your cruise we would have immediately booked another cruise with the refund money. But I do understand that those still in the work force do not have the luxury. Your vacation time is limited and you would rather have a perfect vacation and pay for it than have something less even if it is free. I am sorry and hope you will soon have an opportunity to have that perfect vacation.

Thanks so much for all the info. eph89, your pictures are beautiful. I have been eagerly following this thread and others since we booked while aboard Zenith's last cruise.

Since we're hoping the inaugural cruise was atypical, please review the OP's list of questions, and the answers originally rec'd from the inaugural cruisers. Please post amended answers, if appropriate.

Thanks!

nlvc12

[quote name='caviargal']First prize: One week Carnival cruise
Second prize: Two week Carnival cruise

I agree..."free" is not the same as pleasurable, enjoyable, desirable.[/QUOTE]

I have cruised on Celebrity, Holland America, RCCL, Disney and Carnival. I would never refuse a free week cruise on Carnival. The decor may be garish as it was on the Carnival ship I last cruised on, but the food was excellent, the entertainment was good, the stateroom was very nice. What is there to hate?

[quote name='Katie H']I would like to know if they had trivia and other games such as pictionery etc. as they do on Celebrity? Did you have any interaction with the Activities Staff? We were on the final Zenith cruise and I know that Natalie was coming over as Activities Director and Yonlandie as part of the staff. Was Matt there? He got off Summit on 3/17 when we got off. He was heading for vacation and then was to go to Journey. We sailed with Matt for 5 cruises in a row, so we missed him on Zenith. We have booked Journey for 10/13 and are hoping he will be there.[/quote]

Yes, there was trivia (several times - musical trivia and otherwise) and pictionary, though I am not sure who the Activities Staff were. There was also one karaoke event. They also had a newlywed/not-so-newlywed type game.

Archived