Snorkeling in Hawaii

Minoushka

Where is the best from beach snorkeling in the islands of Hawaii

Will be in Maui Kaui Big Island Kona lahaina HOnolulu

also which excursions are the nicest and most reasonable

I'm traveling with 2 kids so I'm a little conscious of expenses$$$

Any info appreciated

Michele

In Kauai, you'll need a car. Drive either north all the way to Ke'e Beach. There you'll also see the start of the Napali Coast a little way into the water. Or the Tunnel Beach nearby. Or drive south/w to Poipu.

In Lahaina, Maui, a short ride north to the Sheraton Hotel in Ka'anapali. The beach (legendary Black Rock) there has good snorkeling.

On the Big Island, there's not much in Hilo, but on the west side Kona coast has good diving/snorkeling. In Kona, can take a bus south to Kahaluu Beach. It's protected by an outer reef that stops big waves. Most of the Kona coast is pretty good for diving/snorkeling.

In Honolulu, Waikiki beach does not have good snorkeling. The well know Hanauma Bay is pretty. But the nearshore reef is in bad shape. Too many tourists there to step on or touch the reef and it's all white/dead. There are lots of tour ops taking people there roundtrip for quite good prices. Get a coupon book (at every corner and every hotel) and you'll find lots of ads. There's an entrance fee in Hanauma Bay and you'll need to watch a short video. It's good though.

In Kauai, you'll need a car. Drive either north all the way to Ke'e Beach. There you'll also see the start of the Napali Coast a little way into the water. Or the Tunnel Beach nearby. Or drive south/w to Poipu.

In Lahaina, Maui, a short ride north to the Sheraton Hotel in Ka'anapali. The beach (legendary Black Rock) there has good snorkeling.

On the Big Island, there's not much in Hilo, but on the west side Kona coast has good diving/snorkeling. In Kona, can take a bus south to Kahaluu Beach. It's protected by an outer reef that stops big waves. Most of the Kona coast is pretty good for diving/snorkeling.

In Honolulu, Waikiki beach does not have good snorkeling. The well know Hanauma Bay is pretty. But the nearshore reef is in bad shape. Too many tourists there to step on or touch the reef and it's all white/dead. There are lots of tour ops taking people there roundtrip for quite good prices. Get a coupon book (at every corner and every hotel) and you'll find lots of ads. There's an entrance fee in Hanauma Bay and you'll need to watch a short video. It's good though.

We snorkeled all up and down the west coast of the big island while we were there for 8 days. I don't think you will be disappointed. Heck, we even swam with the sea turtles in the ocean lagoon at the Hilton Waikaloa! In that little lagoon they also had moray eels, puffer fish, tangs, etc.

When we walked through the City of Refuge we could see numerous sea turtles in the water there. Beautiful!

I think you will love it there!

In Kauaii, I agree with the previous poster. Seeing the Napoli coast from teh water is amazing. They used the Napoli coast as the scenery for Jurassic Park - gorgeous! In addition to his recommendations, I even found Hanalai Bay, past Princeville, to be good. There was a drop off which was very cool!

On Maui we have gone out to Molokini. At that time, the coral appeared ill and there were really very few fish. That was about 8 years ago though. On the same trip, we snorkeled outside of our hotel at the Kei Lani in Walea and that was better than Molokini. There was a stop we made on the way back from Molokini on the boat. We saw some beautiful eagle rays and turtle there. The name of the stop, if I recall correctly, was Turtle Bay or Turtle Gardens.

Have fun!!!

Archived