Namesake

Joe Beach

That's name"sake" like in "for the sake of appearances", not "sake" like the Japanese drink, so now you see my quandry...

I guess I am not thrilled with the name Azamara. If there were a vote, I would vote no. Besides the fact that I don't like the phonetic sound of it, I think it sounds too Japanese not Greek (not that there is anything wrong with that, but I just don't think of Japan when I think of cruiseships-- even though they build some of them). So I googled it, here are some of the results:

Azamar: the dwarf Rune of Eternity, a rune so powerful that only one of it can exist. It is currently marked on the Throne of Kings and makes that artefact indestructable. (rune: an aphorism, poem, or saying with mystical meaning or for use in casting a spell.) .....uh-oh... while I suppose marketing will use the line about casting a spell, I wonder if that means there will be no Catholic mass on board? Maybe the free trip priests will be replaced with free trip wiccans.

Azamara also comes up as a word in Rwanda, anybody speak it? What does this say/mean-- Mu gihe azamara mu Rwanda umucamanzakazi Brigitte Renault azaganira n’abatanze ikirego, kandi bazabonanira muri ambassade y’Ubufaransa mu Rwanda.

Kakubetsu Castle: Undiscovered castle which was planned for building in the year 780. Some think the Miyazawa Site is it, others think it was built somewhere more north. Another thinks it was never built because of the revolt of "Korehari no Azamara".....See I told you, Japanese, now I should stop searching.

Azamara and Zamara are some people's name

Zamara, Colorado, is a settlement in the south central region of the state of Colorado, hardly a seaport. Mappoint.com knows where it is, but I live here and I have never heard of it.

Come to think of it, I like the name Zamara better, it has a better sound to it. Like in-- Zamara, just east of Shangri La. Then they can put a big "Z" on the smokestack. Marketing could show people sleeping-- taking some relaxing "Z's", They could have pictures of them being dropped off at the pier in their Z cars, they could stock the bathroom with Zee paper products. Of course, our UK friends would refer to it as "Zed", and they wouldn't be able to book on board.

I think they missed the boat on this one (oops, sorry "it's a ship, not a boat").

Archived