Yanks in Europe?

They say variety is the spice of life. I wonder how many from the USA will come to Europe next summer to cruise from near London on the brand new Independence of the Seas to see the Med in all its splendour? And what the experience will be for us English?

They say variety is the spice of life. I wonder how many from the USA will come to Europe next summer to cruise from near London on the brand new Independence of the Seas to see the Med in all its splendour? And what the experience will be for us English?

I would love it, but two things are holding me back. Vacation time (most Europeans get far more vacation time than Americans) and the dollar is very weak now compared to the Pound and the Euro. This is making Europe a little less attractive to some.

I would love it, but two things are holding me back. Vacation time (most Europeans get far more vacation time than Americans) and the dollar is very weak now compared to the Pound and the Euro. This is making Europe a little less attractive to some.

Interesting. The ship price we paid and all onboard is dollars so the only 'high' costs would be shoreside. Maybe we wont see so many after all then.

Nick

Interesting. The ship price we paid and all onboard is dollars so the only 'high' costs would be shoreside. Maybe we wont see so many after all then.

Nick

Airfare over, at least a night before the cruise in a port city, a night after the cruise, shopping, souveniers, etc. It adds up after a while.

Americans are also not as accustomed as Europeans to visit other countries on their vacations. However, since all US citizens are required to have passports now to visit our local neighbors, maybe that will spur some on to the other side of the pond.

I hate that term...I'm from TX, most certainly not the Yankee states :)

In any event, I've traveled to the UK for four summers in a row, and look forward to visiting the cousins across the pond; I really do love my travels over there! It is for that reason that I WON'T be cruising Europe/UK.

For me, the only way to truly get in touch with the locals is to backpack; spending 8 hours at a port, rushed, etc., not my idea of the best way to spend my time abroad.

I spent my vacation money this year on three cruises, but in 2008 I'm going back to the UK...sans cruise ship :D

We are cruising from London this year. I was unpleasantly surprised at the cost to fly to and stay in London. Especially what you get (rellatively meger accomodations) for the money. I realize the dollar is weak now, but if it gets worse I would think twice about returning. :(

We are cruising from London this year. I was unpleasantly surprised at the cost to fly to and stay in London. Especially what you get (rellatively meger accomodations) for the money. I realize the dollar is weak now, but if it gets worse I would think twice about returning. :(

What Web sites are you getting your information from, as I would not say accomadation in the UK is Meger or expensive. Unfortunately it is the dollar being weak or the pound being strong, that is the problem, so for you dollars you are not getting as much.

Liz

Please come to London - we love having our US cousins visiting. The currency exchange is cyclical - in a few years the dollar will be strong again!!

Yes, the hotels are expensive - but there are many inexpensive restaurants to eat at!! And London is fabulous - such a 'buzz'!!!

What Web sites are you getting your information from, as I would not say accomadation in the UK is Meger or expensive. Unfortunately it is the dollar being weak or the pound being strong, that is the problem, so for you dollars you are not getting as much.

Liz

In the US I could get a suite for less than I am paying for a small double in the UK! :(

Airfare over, at least a night before the cruise in a port city, a night after the cruise, shopping, souveniers, etc. It adds up after a while.

Americans are also not as accustomed as Europeans to visit other countries on their vacations. However, since all US citizens are required to have passports now to visit our local neighbors, maybe that will spur some on to the other side of the pond.

Speak for yourself. ;) I try to make the majority of my vacations in other countries. If I only vacationed in North America, it would be pretty boring.

Having had family in Virginia since 1610...having had family fighting for the South in the War of Northern Agression....please don't call me a yank. That is like calling a "Brit" a "Frenchie".

With that said...we prefer to vacation in Europe. The sounds of unknown languages, the different customs, the beautiful buildings all make for a wonderful time. The smells, the colors, the transportation, the formalities are exciting. We actually prefer "land" vacations to cruises because we can experience the local flavor. We have elevated Rick Steves to sainthood in this vacationing family.

A Gator agreeing with a Vol, how scary ;) VERY Expensive! Maybe when I get my inheritance :D For now, I'll stick to cruising out of Florida. Independance will be here soon enough.

Having had family in Virginia since 1610...having had family fighting for the South in the War of Northern Agression....please don't call me a yank. That is like calling a "Brit" a "Frenchie".

With that said...we prefer to vacation in Europe. The sounds of unknown languages, the different customs, the beautiful buildings all make for a wonderful time. The smells, the colors, the transportation, the formalities are exciting. We actually prefer "land" vacations to cruises because we can experience the local flavor. We have elevated Rick Steves to sainthood in this vacationing family.

Oh dear, apologies for any offence caused. We use the term Yanks as a term of endearment, nothing else. When I asked about the experience we might expect, maybe, Mr Fed, the answer is in the sensitiveness of your reply. I shall be careful in future to refer separately to those from the Southern States.

Oh dear, apologies for any offence caused. We use the term Yanks as a term of endearment, nothing else. When I asked about the experience we might expect, maybe, Mr Fed, the answer is in the sensitiveness of your reply. I shall be careful in future to refer separately to those from the Southern States.

Yank:

1. A native or inhabitant of New England.

2. A native or inhabitant of a northern U.S. state, especially a Union soldier during the Civil War.

3. A native or inhabitant of the United States.

Inde2008,

There is no doubt in anyone's mind that you were using definition 3 and that it is indeed a term of endearment. Our Civil War ended long before any of us were born, although loser's have long memories. The only people who could be offended do not know the multiple definitions. They are the same cranks who insist that the Civil War be called "The War of Northern Aggression".

Yank:

1. A native or inhabitant of New England.

2. A native or inhabitant of a northern U.S. state, especially a Union soldier during the Civil War.

3. A native or inhabitant of the United States.

Inde2008,

There is no doubt in anyone's mind that you were using definition 3 and that it is indeed a term of endearment. Our Civil War ended long before any of us were born, although loser's have long memories. The only people who could be offended do not know the multiple definitions. They are the same cranks who insist that the Civil War be called "The War of Northern Aggression".

LOL, thank you, Yankie (?)

I am hoping to sail around Europe in the next year or two. We are still trying to decide between land or sea based. I like the idea of being able to see the large variety of things that a cruise provides.

Other than money, the limitation I have is that I am interested in the cruises that stay in (I'm struggling for a term) the more north portion of Europe. These cruises seem harder to find than med cruises. I guess people want the warmer weather.

By the way, I am happy to be called a yank. I believe the song Yankie Doodle Dandy was from the Revolutionary War, not the Civil War.:)

It is clear by the announced itineraries that the ships intended passengers are actually Europeans and the English in particular. The length of the trips has always been a problem for the cruise companies. Most Europeans want at least two weeks of vacation. Taking short (7 day) vacations is more of an American phenomenon. (Which might explain burn-out, but I digress.) Some of the lines have been selling back-to-back flipping itineraries to the Europeans, but let's face it, what's the interest in going back to the same place twice (ie Miami or San Juan/St-Thomas) when you can go on a longer voyage that takes you to the Canaries or the beaches of the Mediterranean. I have to admit that from my perspective, they are a lot more interesting itineraries, now.

We will be coming but, not on the Independence of the Seas. England hotels were high even be for the value of the $ fell. But, now people have started to cancel pre tour land vacation, two form our group canceled there land trip and cruise.

I just guess I picked a bad time to come over. To make it worse the youngest daughter decided to study abroad there this summer.

We did England, Ireland and France last Sept. Absolutely loved it and hope to go back but probably can't until '09. Even if the dollar is weak we've found that it's more workable on a cruise. Airfare is what kills us!!

As a transplanted notherner who now lives in southern Virginia I can tell you there are lots of folks down here still cognizant of the Civil War. But I have to give my southern neighbors credit for also being some of the friendliest and warmest people I've ever encountered.

Spending time in Europe gave us a whole new focus on what a "Yank" truly was to the rest of the world. Visiting so many of the WWII sites made us understand that the term was used very fondly by our European neighbors. Travel is good...let's all do more!! ;)

Cheryl

We're already booked to sail on June 29, 2008 out of Southampton! But, not on Royal Caribbean. NCL is refurbishing and renaming the Pride of Hawaii and as the Norwegian Jade it will cruise Europe next year. Our cruise, which we chose for the itinerary, is from Southampton up the entire coast of Norway and around the North Cape before returning to Southampton.

The exchange rate is definitely not in the favor of those of us in the US right now, but anytime I can go to Britain I'm there!

Cruising seems to be the way to see Europe with the exchange rate not in our favor. We leave June 13th for 4 days Paris and London, then on Jewel of the sea.We will have to be careful spending money during the land portion but RC has breakfast, tours and other perks included in their land package so we feel we are getting our money's worth.

I never would call myself a Yank!!! Too southern!! LOL

My dd and I visit family in England every year so I looked at cruises for next year but the prices were just to much for me right now. Also, I love just being on the ship and most European cruises that I've looked at are very port intensive.

No no, please don't think that Inde! Others, like I have done in person while in the UK, simply wanted to share our own ideas of American identities and how they can differ from how other countries view us. I think it's great that we're all coming together to talk about idioms and whatnot. I have learned much from my UK cousins and I hope they have learned a bit from me, too :)

You know what I love to do? I love to go to pubs in the UK and "put on" a British accent with some locals who "put on" an American accent; it's so funny when you've had 8 lagers! I'm sure both sides are asking themselves, "Blimey, do I really sound like that??!!":D

As a transplanted notherner who now lives in southern Virginia I can tell you there are lots of folks down here still cognizant of the Civil War. But I have to give my southern neighbors credit for also being some of the friendliest and warmest people I've ever encountered.

;)

Cheryl

I am a Dixie girl from the "land of cotton." Just wanted to say that the above statement is wonderfully nice and I appreciate your comment.:D

As for a vacation cruise in Europe...as soon as DH can take enough time off for us to spend two or three weeks over there, we will be coming over. :)

Archived