Another Cozumel snorkeling question

xsurfer

Has anyone ever used United Divers for a snorkeling trip? I emailed them and was told that their 3 reef trip is $50 per person and goes to the Palancar, Colombia and San Francisco reefs... which from what I have read are some of the better reefs to go to. The trip also includes a box lunch. Anyone have any experience with these guys??

Never heard of United, but last month I did a similar six hour, three reef trip with Eagle Ray for $65 that included lunch on Palancar beach. We had two snorkelers, two divers and two guides on board. First stop was Punta Sur Reef, which is at the very tip end of the island, beyond both Palancar and Columbia. This was fantastic. Punta Sur outshines Palancar. We did two snorkel entries there (this reef deserves a minimum of two). We then went to Columbia Shallows and finally Palancar Reef. We had lunch at Palancar Beach before returning to the home dock.

It's a slow boat, but we were in no hurry.:)

http://www.eagleraydivers.com/

Eagle Ray's boat dock is located at La Calita Marina adjacent to El Presidente Hotel.

I have heard a lot of good things about Eagle Ray and I have already contacted them. But Chellie told me that since our ship does not arrive in Cozumel until noon that we can only do a 2 reef trip... and the 2 reef trips do not go to the southern most reefs. I was really hoping to snorkel a couple of the more southern reefs. That's why I am investigating alternatives.

I have heard a lot of good things about Eagle Ray and I have already contacted them. But Chellie told me that since our ship does not arrive in Cozumel until noon that we can only do a 2 reef trip... and the 2 reef trips do not go to the southern most reefs. I was really hoping to snorkel a couple of the more southern reefs. That's why I am investigating alternatives.
If you want to snorkel Palancar reef, which is near the southern end of the island, you could go to Playa Palancar and do a snorkel trip from there. Dalila Divers has a shop there and offers snorkel trips that depart from the beach. The boat ride is very short.

To the OP, since there are quite a few dive shops in Cozumel, over 70 by some accounts, it isn't uncommon for no one on Cruise Critic to have used United Divers.

The "Mystic" Snorkeling Tour is also worth looking at.

I haven't heard of them either. We used Eagle Ray Divers based on all the positive feedback on these boards. They were AWESOME! We had the best time out on the Palancar Reef.

I had looked into Mystic as well. We weren't able to go out with them due to timing conflicts. If you do decide to go with Mystic, make sure the tours are conducive to your time in port.

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like its going to be Rosie and the Mystic tour. I contacted her and she can take us out about 1:30 to Palancar and Colombia.

Hi xsurfer,

When did you tell me you were cruising? Is it the August 20 trip with the Fascination? If it is, maybe we can combine our groups for the Mystic snorkel trip. I think that is who I will be using as well due to the arrival time in Cozumel.

C~

• 2 weeks later...

We're trying to get up a trip with Mystic Snorkel for Sept. 7. Still need a few more snorkelers to bring down the price to the $65 per person range or a little less. It is a 3 reef trip that goes to the bigger, more spectacular reefs, and Rosy tailors it to the desires of the group--as in, no stop has a set time to get in and out of the water. Maximum would be 10 passengers, so it sure beats the "cattle boat" cruise ship trips. If you're interested in joining us Sept. 7, please e mail Rosy direct at kuda1@hotmail.com Thanks! Hope to see you then!

A few years ago, we chose Scooby-Doo. They are on the grounds of the El Presidente, which gives you the advantage of day use of the hotel grounds., in addition to your dive or snorkel trip. We had a wonderful lunch by the pool, with great Margaritas after our snorkel trip. Scooby-Doo will also take you to all three reefs if you want, though we were concentrating on shallow-water sites. The snorkeling was grand, though the current was a bit much for one of us.

Happy snorkeling and diving to all, Mary Sue

Luvs - I had posted this on another of your messages re United.

The snorkel boat that showed up was from scubado although we booked it thru Antonio.

If you're looking for a good snorkel trip, email Antonio. We just used him when we did a land vacay in Coz. You need at least 6 people for a private snorkel tho. It was $65, 4 snorkel stops and a stop at a beach restaurant for lunch, ran 8-1 or so, so you would be good for your cruise time. For a slightly higher price, they will provide lunch. But we did the beach break and it was great. Good food and drinks.

http://www.cozumel-diving.net/oceantur/

Archived