Limited mobility in Dabrovnik and Santorini

I am not able to do a lot of walking and so am wondering if it is doable for DH and me to see Santorini and Dabrovnik on our own? If we get a taxi or rent a car from both docks, will we be able to get a good look at both places? The other alternative seems to be to use the HAL tours which seem expensive but doable. Any suggestions?

Santorini is tough IMHO. My wife can not do more than one or two stairsteps and can not walk more than a few dozen yards. She will not be doing Santorini on this trip. Its tough for her to board the tender. The funicular has many steps to climb to access at the bottom and the streets leading to it up top have a step every dozen yards or so ... very tough for wheelchair and a long walk from where the Oia tour bus drops you off.

I agree--Santorini is tough. The towns require walking on uneven ground, you may want to consider a boat trip if one is offered.

Dubrovnik would be doable with a wheelchair or scooter, again a mini cruise around the area is also an option, I think there were even glass bottom boats(but don't quote me on that --I just sort of remember)

I also have trouble walking-stairs, rough spots, etc.

In Santorini, we took a tour from the ship which brought us to the Vineyard, and to the beach. not hard to do, even with limited mobility.

Then, we took a taxi up to the top and browsed the shops, had lunch with the most spectacular view imagineable, and slowly went to the funicular. If you can use a cane, you can do it. If you need a wheelchair, you might want to keep with transport all the way.

At the funicular, you walk down a few steps to get into the cable car.

Our ship dropped us at one end of the island and then picked us up at the other end, which is why we toured out, beached, then ended up in Fira to shop and eat and return to the ship.

In Dubrovnik, if you wish, you can get off the boat and stay at the pier area, which has a large area that contains shops, restaurants etc. you can also go on just a few stairs to the back of the tourist area, bearing left from the big courtyard center with the shops and restaurants, and there is a beautiful garden right on the ocean there. You will see the walls of the city when your ship comes into port, so you will have great views then, and you can stay at ground level while in port-my family did walk the walls, but i stayed on the ground and enjoyed myself. good luck

Hi there,

I might be able to help you out as far as Dubrovnik is concerned by organising a Panoramic Tour which will include a visit to Hill "Srdj" (outstanding view over the Old Town) peak "Velji Do" ( a view over the whole of Elaphiti Islands ) visit to a hamlet of Cavtat and on the way back a drop of at Ploce Gate of the Old Town, wheelchair access to the town itself.

travel74.com

Please do not be confused by Jesse posting above. At Dubrovnik there are 2 areas where the ship may go. First, if you dock, you will need to take a shuttle or taxi in to Dubrovnik - there is nothing much around there but dock area. Some ships, Costa mainly, anchor near the old town and tender passengers in to a pier in the old town itself. So when he/she posts seeing the walls of the old town from the ship, I assume they anchored and tendered; you can not see the old city from the docks which are a couple of miles out. To get in to the old town from where the shuttle would let you off, there are many steps and slopes to enter the gates and get down to the street level. The main street is level, wide and pedestrian only; however, many of the side streets consist of several flights of steps.

At Santorini, your ship will anchor out in the caldera; Santorini is really the rim of a large extinct volcano. To get to the top, you have to either take a cable car which requires walking about 20 steep steps to get to it or the alternative is ride a donkey up a steep, winding trail. Suggest you thoroughly research this before making a definite booking. If you think you can do it, then go for it, the views are magnificent:)

Thanks, LeoandHugh, for the good advice. I think that we have decided that I will just stay on the ship in Santorini...get myself some rest while DH goes out on his own or with friends. It was all just too daunting.

As for Dubrovnick, we may just get a taxi and spend some time sightseeing that way. There are so many wonderful places to see on this cruise that I am going to have to pace myself and prioritize the sites I really really want to see.

Thanks for the information!

Sorry for offering incomplete information-i was not aware that in Dubrovnik there were two areas to dock, i was only providing what experience we had. In Santorini-we were docked at one end of the island, took a bus tour up, and took the cable car down, altho my children took the donkeys. I was using a cane at the time, and was able to use it to my advantage, but again, i do apologize for providing information that might end up being useless depending on what docking area, etc will be used.

Archived