Riots in Istanbul

REPORT FROM THE SUNDAY TIMES (LONDON). TOURISTS BOUND FOR TURKEY WERE URGED TO BE VIGILANT AFTER RIOTS IN ISTANBUL LED TO 700 PEOPLE ARRESTED.THEY WARNED THAT THE POLITICAL SITUATION COULD REMAIM UNSTABLE IN THE RUN UP TO THE ELECTIONS ON JULY 22nd 2007.FOREIGN OFFICE STATES THAT THERE IS A HIGH THREAT FROM TERRORISM AND TERROR GROUPS ACTIVE IN THE COUNTRY MAY TARGET TOURIST AREAS.

LETS BE HONEST GUYS I REALLY DONT FANCY GETTING OFF IN ISTANBUL AND WONDER WHAT THE REST OF YOU THINK ABOUT WHAT CARNIVAL WILL MAKE OF IT.

Hi there, caught your concern about Istanbul while surfing info on my next cruise. We ended a b2b there last Sept and had similar concerns as there had been similar threats. This things occur worldwide including our home countries. After doing some research decided to spend a week there post cruise. Felt very safe although we did take precautions. Dress conservatively, stow the Hawaiian shirts and glittery hats. Women should wear slacks/jeans and keep a head scarf handy. Istanbul was by far the most interesting place we have been. And, the people were extremely friendly and helpful. The history, architect, sites, people and of course Ephesus were the highlight of our vacation. Go positive and keep alert of your surroundings and I think you will be in for a surprise.

Hi there, caught your concern about Istanbul while surfing info on my next cruise. We ended a b2b there last Sept and had similar concerns as there had been similar threats. This things occur worldwide including our home countries. After doing some research decided to spend a week there post cruise. Felt very safe although we did take precautions. Dress conservatively, stow the Hawaiian shirts and glittery hats. Women should wear slacks/jeans and keep a head scarf handy. Istanbul was by far the most interesting place we have been. And, the people were extremely friendly and helpful. The history, architect, sites, people and of course Ephesus were the highlight of our vacation. Go positive and keep alert of your surroundings and I think you will be in for a surprise.

Hello sanfracruz,thanks for your comments and advice.What you say is of course complete common sense,the only thing that concerned me was the fact that there were 700 people arrested last week during riots NOT demonstrations and of course the usual terrorist alert from our foreign office.We shall of course carry on regardless (as we all do) and watch with great interest over the next few weeks up until our july cruise.

The huge gathering they had last week was just a few days after the Freedom sailed out of Instanbul, besides the political situation, consider that Instanbul is so crowded on a normal day, with traffic and the amount of people using all means possible to travel into the main city (by water, train, bus, car, etc) that I can't imagine how these events are affecting the travel around the city! The busses bringing folks back to the ship were about 40 minutes late, making the ship delayed in departing - so if you do go in, you might consider staying with the cruiselines excursions, to ensure you get back to the ship etc.,

When some co-workers found out that two of our port-of-call were in Turkey, they got all worried.

First, I imagine Carnival will take the utmost care to keep their passengers from any known danger. If things look ugly, I imagine they will simply skip that port or go to another port (we've been on cruises where this has happened, before). I'm fine with that.

If we are there and something happens....that is a part of life, and we'll deal with it if and when it happens.

Second, there are no guarantees in life. We do what we can and try to be intelligent and aware of our surroundings....but we're not going to stop living (or travelling, or cruising) because awful things happen in life.

Just had to add a few more comments on Istanbul. For those who wish to go alone and explore the city. The street car directly in front of the cruise ship will take you to the Blue Mosque, Palace Grounds, Sophie Hagia, Cistern, Spice Market and Grand Bazaar. As you exit the ship take the street car heading left. You need Turkish Lira coins. Everything is within 20 minutes ride max. Most speak English but carry small pictures of sites and simple ask which stop. All tourist sites require Turkish Lira but there are ATM's everywhere. Other than that most places take Euros and US$. Most of the guides will tell you that tourism is economically very important to them and therefore they tend to monitor riots carefully when the cruise ships are in port. Believe me, this is one city you would not want to miss visiting. If you have but one day concentrate on the Old Sultanmhet (sp) part of the city. If you take an organized ship tour try pick one that stays out of the newer part of the city, the traffic is horrendous and it will limit you time to see it all. I really can understand your apprehension as that was me too. Our cruise ended there and all I wanted to do is get to the airport and exit. We only stayed on because the return flight was half price several days later. I am so glad we did. Best place we've ever been and highlight of two Med cruises.

Archived