Yukon Exploration White Pass Scenic

Doing this excursion in Alaska, can anyone tell me if this is a good idea or not? If so, how was it? Thanks for any replies. :)

First of all, here is the link for anyone else who wants to check out this excursion:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do;jsessionid=0000KajPi-mYXxySdQyhCcdLlRM:10ktdmm42?sourcePage=cruiseDetails&packageCode=SR07AKS7&date=&selectedCurrencyCode=&ProductCode=SK30&DestinationCode=

Just a few things to point out about the excursion that I know (not from personal experience, but from hanging around the Alaska board for 8 months). First of all you're taking the bus up and the train down. There has been lots of discussion over whether it's better to take the train up or down because apparently there isn't any narration (or very little of it) on the way down the mountain vs. going up.

Secondly, if you are really interested in trains there is a new run this year for the White Pass which is the train from Skagway goes all the way to Carcross now and then you can take the bus back. This way you get to see two different sceneries (except where road/train are parallel which does happen). You can visit and have lunch at Lake Bennet (which is only accessible by train) and then hit Carcross, and bus up for your travel back down to Skagway. This company is also known for stopping a lot for photo ops of local scenery/signs/wildlife and have very knowledgable guides. Again, I can't vouch for RCI b/c I haven't been on it the excursion yet, but I'm sure someone else can help in that area.

To see more about THIS excursion, check out the link. This is the new hype for Skagway this year and many of us are taking it! It's booked independently through Chilkoot Charters and not the cruiseline, so that may or may not appeal to you.

http://www.chilkootcharters.com/carcross.htm

I think it was $219 pp US when I booked. It's more expensive than the one you listed, but I think it's at least worth your while to check it out.

Check out what other ones RCI offers (there are so many!) and compare them to the one's Chilkoot offers.

A plus with the independent company is that you won't be herded around and will have smaller group sizes!

Anyway, happy cruising - I hope you find an excursion just for you! BTW - if you want more info, check out the ALASKA boards and do a search. There is soo much info in there it's crazy. The topics on the board are literally repeated every 2-3 days a week too ;)

The best way to do this is to rent a car from Avis Rent a Car, less than $100 for two and you can stop wherever you please. Be sure and take your passport as you will be going in and out of Canada. Go on the Alaska site (Ports of Call here on this site) they have lots of info, ask Yukon for his travel guide, he's a wealth of information.

The best way to do this is to rent a car from Avis Rent a Car, less than $100 for two and you can stop wherever you please. Be sure and take your passport as you will be going in and out of Canada. Go on the Alaska site (Ports of Call here on this site) they have lots of info, ask Yukon for his travel guide, he's a wealth of information.

Ooo good post. I almost forgot about this. Just know that if you're Canadian, you can't rent a car and go across the border into Canada apparently :(

That's why we had to pick an excursion that went there otherwise we would have liked to have drove too.

We did this excursion last summer and LOVED it!!! And whomever posted that there was no narration on the train is WRONG...there was a historian aboard the train (who doubled as a conductor) and we had running dialogue all the way back to Skagway! It was a great trip...lots to see both on the bus and back via the train. I wouldn't want to drive the trip, personally there's a lot more information when you have a guide to listed to and ask questions of...

Have a wonderful time in Alaska...we love i and will be back for round 3 in '08!!!;)

We did the Yukon Territory excursion off the Radiance in 2003 or 2004. The bus from Skagway to Emerald Lake, lunch at Caribou Crossing and the White Pass Train back. We can recommend this tour. The bus stopped quite a few places on the way out that you couldn't see/get to from/on the train.

We would do it again.

My wife and I went to Alaska this past September and did the car rental thing. It allows you to get to Caribou Crossing before the tour buses, and we then drove up to Emerald Lake to take pictures. There are pull-offs on the road which allow you to pull over and take pictures of the pass and the train on the other side of it. I'm sure we would've enjoyed the train as well, though. It seems like there are many tour options (train both ways, bus one way and train back, or train up and bus back). We did stop at the suspension bridge but didn't pay to go out onto it (seemed like a waste of time). Also, having the rental car gave us the freedom to check out the cemetary, which was nice.

We did this excursion last summer and LOVED it!!! And whomever posted that there was no narration on the train is WRONG...there was a historian aboard the train (who doubled as a conductor) and we had running dialogue all the way back to Skagway! It was a great trip...lots to see both on the bus and back via the train. I wouldn't want to drive the trip, personally there's a lot more information when you have a guide to listed to and ask questions of...

Have a wonderful time in Alaska...we love i and will be back for round 3 in '08!!!;)

If you do a search in the Alaskan boards, this is what has been reported by people who have taken the train down rather than up.

There has been some speculation that they are trying to amend this but that IS what is being reported.

Hopefully it will not be the case for the OP if they take this excursion. Happy Cruising.

I stayed between cars taking pictures on the train on the way down/back. My wife said there was narration, but you couldn't hear it outside. It was a great ride and view from between the cars.

Archived