Just back vos 9 day bayonne

Just back form 9 day cruise out of Bayonne. My boat is still rocking. Needless to say it was great, and made better from tips on these boards. First off driving and parking at Bayonne is a snap.We arrived around 11:35( ship sailing 5pm) By 12:10 we were on the ship playing minature golf. We had our luggage by 2pm. It is very easy to get to the terminal. I would strongly advise driving if you are within distance and save your limo money for BINGO!! You must get yourself to the first bingo, because if no one has booked the owners suite( with baby grand piano, and private hot tub)that is what they give away for full card. I was gonna purchase an upgrade at the pier but when we checked in I was told there were none, but I know someone who checked in 20 minutes after me and they purchased an upgrade??? I wonder if RCI can explain that one. Other than they directly asked for the supervisor.

I tipped my room steward $20 immediatly and asked for fridge to be emptied, cooler stocked with ice( yes I brought water, soda for me, and small bottles of alcohol-and my seapass was still $1300-not including shore excursions)extra towels,the hand cream. My steward Simone was wonderful and pammpered us(and was very pleased to get a begining tip)

Ok here's something i didn't know about in Labadee- even if you bring your own snorkel stuff(mask and fins and hose)-you have to rent the safety vest for $6 to use your own stuff.:mad: The tendering to the beach was horrible-alot of people pushing and crowded into hallways with no air.RCI has got to come up with a better plan. Do not attempt to try to keep you group together,make a plan to meet on the beach. This is were alot of the problems were with boarding. God forbid you be polite and try to let a large family group stay together, the people behind you start pushing. The beaches are beautiful, and all in all it was a great day. The "flea market" there is very agressive(come see my stuff, hey lady over here)so if you can't say no don't go.On all the other stops we did tours, Jamacia-4x4, Caymen Island- stingray city, Freeport-Kayaking. All the tours where wonderful. And even tho my 20 yr old son said he wasn't go out on his own in Jamacia-he did and was hassled. He paid people to leave him alone, and wound up in an alley. Definately travel in groups, and do the tours to enjoy this stop. Now the food-considering that they are serving at least 1,500 dinners at once they did a pretty good job. Dinner was hit or miss,sometimes things were lukewarm or the choices weren't to my tastes, other nites I wanted everthing, and it was piping hot. Remember tho, if you are unhappy order another or something different. It is never a problem, and the wait staff was the most excellent I ever came across.(we had vadim and dejaun on the early seating)They want you to be happy(really).

Advice on early am risers- no coffe to be had til 6am.The windjammer ran out of coffee,or didn't have it ready in the 7-8am time(although all the decaf was ready-RCI take note!!)Just stop by the promanade before heading up(they always had regular coffee)And for those wimps who said it was too strong-the hot water button is right next to the coffee, cut it.(the french toast is the best) You got stop by Johnny rockets(you only pay for drinks_even if you have a soda card) And if you lucky enuff to be there when YMCA song comes on-they will sing and dance for you. There is so much to do on board it's great. This is my 4th cruise and my first RCI, and I would honestly say that I would be back.Hey there were 6 jacuzzis on deck 11, always a spot to be had. And I thoroughly enjoyed the adult only swim area(solarium). I hope every one has as good a time as I did.:D

Suesnake,

Thank you for your review! I always enjoy reading everyones opinions. I am glad you had a good time!

Did you do the rock climbing wall or the ice skating? Is there a charge?

Did you go to any night clubs? If so, how are they?

Did your cabin steward have any problem emptying your fridge?

So you had no problem bringing on beverage? Did you put them on your carryon or checked baggage?

Thank you,

Joann

I am not real sure about the time the boat got docked in somewhere between 9-10 am. We got called to get off the boat around 1:45. So it is a bit of a wait to get off. I was cream color tags(we were near the end because we drove ourselves) The first colors are lavendar and white, those are the people with flights. Then green that went quik.(I think they started around 11am)Then came the yellows numbers 1-8. that took along time then brown then beige. But once they call your color you are off quik.Luggage is sorted by color and number breeze to find. All our stuff had wheels so we wheeled out ourselves and walked to car. Whole process from time calling our color 30 minutes.

I kept saying I was gonna rock climb and didn't(no charge). I never did it before and I missed the day they had beginers lessons. I am sure if I took the lessons I would have gone.(I took salsa dance lessons and went to salsa nite)I did go ice skating(no charge)socks are required for both and must have long pants for skating. Don't miss the ice show it is great.I had one smallish suitcase with just soda and water. I put that with my checked luggage. I brought 4 small pints of different alcohol to make drinks in my room, I had also put that in my checked luggage. I wrapped it in bubble wrap and put it in my metal make up case.(gals you know what i mean right?)My carry on I had 2 gatorade bottles filled with mango margirittas. No problem with steward emptying fridge or filling my soft side cooler with ice.I gave a tip when I first got on($20).And at the end of the cruise I gave my steward our leftover beers that we purchased on board and one pint we didn't finish. He was so happy.I was always greeted by name too.Ahhh I miss Simone. Ok now to the life jackets. I don't think it would be a problem if you brought your own. They were just stopping people who didn't have any. The clubs-The vault was the younger crowd, although they did have a 70's nite(brush up on your hustle), and it generally got hopping later., Cleopatras needle had the sting rays and they were excellent. More of a bar band type music. And then you had the infamous Norm in the schooner lounge. A piano man who was a show in himself. You guys will have a blast.

How did they differentiate between snorkeling and swimming? If my kids are swimming near the beach with goggles on, do they need to have a life jacket? Is there a designated snorkeling course like at Disney's private island? We don't plan on snorkeling per se, but the kids enjoyed that one just swimming around it with their goggles on. Just wondering if we need to plan on spending $30 on life jackets (5 people), and for what reason if we stay close to shore. Thanks!

My son used just his face mask, and was not required to use a vest. Saw others using just mask and no vest. I don't know if the breathing tube or fins make it snorkling. We had also brought along a blow up mat for the water-no problem with that. I figured it was just a way for either RCI or the local establishment to get in on the action because so many people bring thier own snorkle stuff. I know we did it not for the cost but for the cleanliness. If I'm not supposed to drink the water-how well and with what is gear cleaned.YYYuk lets not think about it. Even when we went to stingray city and snorkel gear was included we brought our own. Hope this helped.

Suesnake: I really enjoyed reading your review and comments. I'm on the shorter 5 day Voyager Canada cruise but your upbeat feedback on the service, ship, activities and food has me more excited. I know we'll have a great time also.

CaseyT

The "lifeguards" sitting off to the sides were stopping and telling people. I figured this was something new as I had not heard anything about this on these boards. And these boards are pretty good on giving the scoop on just about everything.

When we were at Coco Cay the lifeguards were telling anyone with a mask and snorkel that they needed a vest. Fins didn't matter.

I finally bought our own gear (including vests because I love to float) in Key West on our last cruise. It was 1/3 paid for the next day by not having to rent in Coco Cay.

The stingrays were your typical bar band some songs you could dance to some you just sing along with. Dancing was done mainly at the vault, club type music- with like I said a 70's nite, also an 80's nite. They had country western line dancing, and nites for that(not sure where), they had regular line dancing. They had salsa class(which i enjoyed)-and salsa nites at the high notes.They had jazz ensembles. I think they even had an older dance nite-like big band era.They have something for everyones taste.And at least 2 nites they had "dancin under the stars" at the pool(don't know type of music).

I absolutly love salsa dancing! My husband and I used to take classes every week. We both enjoy is very much. I am so excited to hear that they have salsa nights. Do you recall what day or days this was during your cruise?

Also, when did they give lessons for the rock climbing? Right away?

Sounds like you had a great time!

I'm going on this same cruise this Friday. How is the ship doing? I heard that it was showing some wear, but it went into drydock before it came to NJ.

Also, I was on Navigator just for the day last week and Johnny Rockets costed. Is it just on Navigator and Mariner that it costs?

Hi Sue and thank you for your wonderful and informational review. I was just wondering if you could tell me what night is the last formal night, and what time do your bags need to be in the hall way on the last night. Thanks, best regards..........Gene W.

Ok now on Day 1(fri) Rock climbing demos 2-4pm &5-7pm, day 2 5-6pm beginers climbing session(now I know why I missed it)we had early dinner 6pm-and it was formal nite.The first slasa class I believe is on day 3(i am missing that compass) and the second is on day 7(1:30). There is always so much going on it's hard to choose. Don't forget to bring your highlighter(to highlight what you definately don't want to miss on your compass) The ship seemed in fine shape, and someone is always cleaning. Ive only been on Voyager- so as far as Johnny rockets go only drinks are what you have to pay for. I couldn't understand tho why the soda card was no good there.

Did you leave on the 30th?

What happened with the Hurricane/Tropical Storm that was off of the SC/NC coast...rough water ths first two days? Did you have to go around it and if so did you miss any ports as a result?

Just curious...because I was on the previous sailing...and I was so happy I chose that date, because one week later...theres a big storm churning right in the middle of the path the ship takes.

Glad you enjoyed the cruise...and thanks for the review.

The two formal nites are saturday, & thursday. Luggage on the last nite was to out in the hallway between 7pm-12am. They give you plenty of time, and it really doesn't matter when you put it out it is off loaded by color. Now for the jellyfish- I did not see any!!! And being from Long island I know about jelly fish we get em here. I heard a rumor going around someone got stung by something but I thought it was a sea urchin they stepped on. The water is so beautiful and clear, and warm. Afew spots have some grass on the bottom. If ya want to be careful wear water shoes. Saturday going down, was a little rough out. Me being an old salty dog was fine(I think the seas were 12' or better) my youngest son who is prone to seasickness(even in the bay at home) was quesy and took a dramamine and was fine. The best way to describe it was there were little waves in the pools. I heard of a few people being sick. It really wasn't bad at all, just some people are more prone to motion sickness. We did not miss any ports, but we were late getting into labadee due to a medical evacuation( acrew member had an appendisitis), the capt. let stay an hour longer.

Hi,

Was the pool open on the last day when everyone was disembarking? I'm sure we'll be one of the last ones off the ship since we live in NJ and I figured if we packed our bathing suits, we could enjoy the pool while waiting to get off.

If not...is there *anything* to do while we are waiting to get off the ship?

debbie

Sorry, we didn't wander around too much while waiting to leave, it was grab a chair, read , play gameboy, and watch less organized parents yell at kids. lol We carried off a bit of luggage cause we were just going to our car, so that kinda of slows you up.sorry I can't help.

how far is the parking area from the ship? is it worth offloading and then parking your car or can you just park and carry your luggage to the ship? We're sailing this friday and I'm driving in from upstate NY. I've heard there could be some confusion arriving at the terminal.

The parking was a breeze. You can either drop off luggage or park first. If you drop off luggage first, you must drive around in a circle to park . When you arrive it's drop offs and pick ups to the left park to the right, and the only way back to park is to do a circle.(it's not bad)I dropped luggage and kids off first. We arrived there approx. 11:40 am(sail time 5pm). So we got a real close spot, of course the later you are the father you are. We liked getting there early, cause we had lunch and then time to do things(play golf, go in pool and jaccuzzi).

Archived