Wave runners safe for non-swimmer???

ccblend

We would love to do this tour to stingray city, but am concerned as one is a non-swimmer. Is it safe for a non-swimmer? How fast, do they tip over, are the guides good? Thanks so much

When we went to sting ray city we went by boat not by wave runner. Once you get there the water is about 4 feet deep. You do wear a life vest. If you cant swim I would not recommend taking a wave runner/jet ski to stingray city as you do cross over some deep water to get there. I dont even remember seeing a wave runner at stingray city now that i think about it.

We would love to do this tour to stingray city, but am concerned as one is a non-swimmer. Is it safe for a non-swimmer? How fast, do they tip over, are the guides good? Thanks so much

You go as fast as the person driving hits the accelerator. :D You wear a lifevest on the waverunners and it is very difficult to tip them over, although it can be done if you try. The guides on the excursion from Island Marketing are excellent but they like to go fast. Then again, we wanted to go fast so maybe if you want to go slower, they would go slower. Once you're at Stingray City, you take off your vest to stand on the sandbar. I'm sure of you didn't feel comfortable with that you could leave it on. I think it all depends if you're talking about a non-swimmer who's completely afraid of the water or just someone who doesn't know how to swim.

As a person who has had nonswimmers in his past cruise groups, and had said nonswimmer fall off a banana boat and was unable to remount, I would say that a waverunner is NO place for a nonswimmer. Luckily, on a banana boat, there is a large skiboat with 3 staff members with good footing to help haul the non swimming passenger out of the water.

Many first time jet skiiers tend to think that because they are unsure of themselves, they lay off the throttle...keep it nice and slow. Personal watercraft are MUCH less stable at low speeds, and are very VERY easy to loose control of.

For someone without swimming ability, it is VERY difficult to mount a PWC in open water. If you dump anywhere other than at the sandbar (where it's least likely to occur) you may not be able to remount your craft.

Even the best guides will be unable to help you if you cannot lift yourself out of the water, which in even gently rolling seas can be difficult for even the most physically fit.

Finally, most jetski rental places will not let you travel unless you indicate, In writing, on a legally binding contract, that you are "a strong swimmer".

Sorry to bum you out, but I'd hate if you went on the tour, and something bad happened. I'd rather you know the facts. Jetski tours are a blast, but are no place for a nonswimmer. Take a boat tour to the stingrays...you'll have much more safe fun.

i would have to agree with the above poster. if you cannot swim, you should not do it. do not depend on your safety vest or anyone else. not to mention, that many times, a panicky person in the water can cause harm to someone trying to rescue them. I WOULD NOT GO if i was unable to swim. if you have time, go to the local YMCA and take some lessons before hand.

Archived