Limon excursions

foxdentravel

Welcome to Cruise Critic.:D The Liberty Western cruise is great. We did private tours in Costa Maya (David and Ivan) and Panama (My Friend Mario) and a ship's excursion in Costa Rica. If you go over to the "ports of call" board, there are threads for each of the ports and a lot of information about the private excursions - that's how we learned of David & Ivan and Mario. One thing I learned from the Panama board is that the cruise ships generally book the train - you can't book a private excursion on the train.:( We went to Playa Langosta beach and toured the Gatun Locks with Mario.

• 4 weeks later...

For a private tour in Costa Rica (Puerto Limon), we used Euvangie Tours. Contact email - euvangie@hotmail.com

They spoke excellent English, offered customized service, clean vehicles, and free beverages throughout the day. There are several other recommendations for this tour company on Cruise Critic. Enjoy your cruise.

We did a tour with Charlie Soto in Puerto Limon and had a wonderful time and the price is great. He arranged our tour to go to the zipline at Brisas (a fantastic adventure), tour of Doyle Banana processing plant, Tortuguero Canal Boat, and lunch at Bonita beach. Everyone in our group had such a great time that there is talk of a reunion cruise to Costa Rica and a tour with Charlie. You cannot go wrong with Charlie. He is prompt to answer emails and he will be at the dock to meet you. You can contact him through his website at www.okeydokeytours.com . Hope you enjoy your tour as much as we did ours.

I am trying to decide what to do in Limon, and am seriously considering the zipline tour. The one question I had, though, was what do you do with your "stuff" while you are on the zipline? I usually have a backpack with me with my water, camera, camcorder, etc. Also, this looks like fun, but do you think someone who is a little afraid of heights would "chicken out"? Thanks for any additional info you can give me!

To try to answer a few questions about the zipline at Brisas. We had a group of about 20 that went on the zipline and one fellow was around 300 lbs and several were afraid of heights. No one backed out and everyone loved the experience. Several ladies expressed the fear of heights but none had any problems. One lady chose to go tandem with one of the guides so both of them rode together. We were not advised of any weight limit. They have a second support strap that they will put on you to support your back more if you are heavier than most. They put one on me and I weighed 225lbs and was 64 years old. I had a blast on the zipline and the entire Charlie Soto tour. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the response! I don't think I'll chicken out, but not sure about my husband! Can you please tell me if the Jungle Breeze zipline place has lockers? I'm still trying to find out for sure where I can put my things. When I emailed them, they said they have a "seifty place", but I'm not sure exactly what that means! Do you think it's possible to hold a camera while you zip? I have never seen it and really don't know much about it but it sounds like fun. Also, I'm probably going to take the tour with Charlie Soto. About how much time did you spend at each place? Did you think it was okay? Some posts I read said they didn't have time for lunch. Other posts mentioned getting to see/touch a sloth. Did you get to do that?

I don't remember any lockers, but we just left our stuff on the bus and the driver made sure it was secure, No problems with our stuff. You can take a camera with you (use a neckstrap to secure it) on the zipline but both hands are full when zipping (one to hold on and the other for brake) so you have to take pictures from the landings or you can have someone that is watching (not zipping) take pictures. There are some places that spectators can watch. Charlie sort of customizes the tours and allows time desired by the group. If you are wanting to see as much as possible, have your group let Charlie know when everyone is ready for the next stop. The tour day is full and lots to see and do. There was a Sloth at Bonita Beach where we ate. Some local boys had him in a small tree and wanted a dollar to take your pictures with him (they were very nice). They would pick up the Sloth each morning in the jungle and bring him to the beach and return him each evening. The Sloth did not seem to mind and I bet he got fed well. There is also an Animal Sanctuary that has all sorts of animals you can touch. Hope you all enjoy your adventure.

Archived