Hotel in Los Angeles

You should repost this question to a new area on CC, North American Homeports, West Coast. This area exists solely to talk about pre and post cruise hotels and activities. Lots of info there and very helpful locals who don't cruise and don't go to the cruise sections.

Hi Ebielik,

As a native I can tell you "near the port" is not where I would want to be nor anyone I know would want to be. Not a great area so I can't help you much in the way of hotel down there. I can tell you about almost any other place not too far away from port (at least by LA standards). There are some beach towns that may interest you. Just depends if you want to go East, South or North. If you go North about 20-25 minutes I would go to Manhattan Beach - There's a great new B&B right in the heart of town called "shade" or you could go South to Orange County. Either way, LA traffic dictates much of our life around here:( .

Hope that helps. :)

We will be sailing from LA in November. We are looking for a nice hotel near the port. Is "near the port" where we would want to be? We are going in one day early.

Does anyone have any good suggestions?

Yeah, lots of threads on this on the West Coast Departures board...but, I'll give a quick answer here...

LA is an awfully big place...

Flying in just the day before, you won't have a lot of time to see much of it anyway...So, assuming all you want to do is relax, have a nice dinner the night before and get to the ship with plenty of time, there is nothing wrong with staying near the port (which is 20 miles south of LAX and 30-40 miles south of most of the tradional LA tourist sites in Hollywood, Beverly Hills, etc.)...

There are two areas "near the port" you might consider:

1) San Pedro--this is right at the port--at least the part near the pier RCCL uses. It's a blue collar industrial harbor town with a lot of convenience, but not a whole lot of charm...The two most popular hotels among cruisers are the Crowne Plaza in downtown Pedro and the Doubletree at the marina just a ways down the harbor channel from the pier...Not a lot of great restaurants in Pedro, but I'd suggest Acapulco on the waterfront near Ports o' Call Village and Taverna Papadakis in downtown Pedro...Most San Pedro hotels will provide a complimentary shuttle to the pier...

2) Long Beach--particularly the Convention Center area--Hyatt, Westin, Hilton, Courtyards, Renaissance or Coast hotels...This area is approximately 6 miles from the San Pedro pier--on the other side of the harbor complex (near the Carnival pier), so a short cab ride is needed to the pier the morning of the cruise. The advantages of this area are that it is a more upscale neighborhood with better restaurants and shopping and a few worthwhile local attractions (Queen Mary, Shoreline Village, Aquarium of the Pacific) all of which muight be reached on foot or by free local shuttle...Oh yeah, my dinner recommendation here is Parker's Lighthouse (Seafood, views of Queen Mary and harbor entrance) in Shoreline Village (touristy shopping area)...but there are lots of other eateries in this area as well...

(Note, if you were around for a longer stay and wanted to be nearer to the typical tourist attractions and the really first class parts of town, I'd recommend Santa Monica...But, for a quick overnight, convenience overrides all else...no sense to have long cab or shuttle rides airport to hotel and hotel to pier)...

Good luck...

Since you posted here.........we have stayed at both the Westin and the Renassaince in Long Beach.......both very nice..........Cab to the pier the next morning was around $35........

Archived