When in Rome..... ???

LibraLass41

I am going to Rome in 6 weeks time on a Med cruise on Arcadia.

I have read that ladies need to cover their shoulders and knees when entering Sistine chapel, but do men have too to??? Will hubby have to wear long trousers then? Expect it will be very hot in Rome in early July, someone said last year it was 95 degrees at that time of year. Also do women still have to wear a head scarf?

Thanks

Sue

Sue,

You will need to cover your shoulders but you don't need to wear a headscarf. And I think it will have to be long trousers for hubby, I'm afraid.

Mike

Hi Sue

When I was last in Rome my hubby was not allowed into St Peter's as he had shorts on, but I noticed other men in shorts who were wrapping things around them, such as a sarong, and they seemed to be allowed in. Maybe roll up a plain-coloured sarong in your bag for him?

Polly

Hi Sue

When I was last in Rome my hubby was not allowed into St Peter's as he had shorts on, but I noticed other men in shorts who were wrapping things around them, such as a sarong, and they seemed to be allowed in. Maybe roll up a plain-coloured sarong in your bag for him?

Polly

I've been on Rome a few times and have yet to get into the Sistine Chapel. I don't react well to extremely long queues!:mad:. Discretion being the better part of valour, I tend to "put it off until the next time".

However, on a positive note, I bought a pair of casual trousers with zip-off legs just above the knee for just the occasions that are mentioned.

They do the job just fine. When longs are needed, zip them on and they come back off to deal with the hot weather upon exit.

David

I was in Rome last August (hot doesn't even begin to describe the heat...we called it "Infernal Rome" instead of "Eternal Rome") and there were several men in our queue who had shorts on. They were not allowed into St. Peter's! Some bought a type of "scrubs" that were being sold for that purpose, others used the sarong idea and others just waited outside. They are very strict for both men and women.

The best purchase I made while in Rome was a frozen water bottle! An ice pack and a drink all for 2 Euros - what a bargain!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi There,

When in Rome last year , what a heat , the tour guide gave my wife her jacket to cover her shoulders, I pulled my shots down to below my knees and was allowed in others with short shorts were turned away.

yours Shogun

Hi There

90+ is fine but 100+ is just to darn hot, standing looking at a load of old rocks , sun bouncing of them no shade, no blokes selling water,

100+ is just not nice unless in are next to a pool with a waiter supplying ice cold beer.

yours Shogun

Archived