Smart casual -boys?

milly man

We are sailing on NOS this July and it will be our first cruise!! I understand that my boys(17 &12) will have to wear a suit for formal evenings but what can they wear for smart casual? Also are jeans acceptable in the main dinning room for casual nights? Any info would be great.:)

Thanks.

I may get flamed for this one but I don't care I am a big follow the rules fan regaurdless of what everyone else does.

Remember the dining room is suppose to be the equivilant to a formal/fancy resurant so would you dress in Jeans when going to one of those?

IMO the dress code says no jeans or shorts so no jeans are appropriate in the dinning room. (if your ship does not say that then I apologize but the Carnival, RCCI and Celebrity cruises I have been on all had that in the dress code) Smart casual generally means for boys and men docker pants and a polo shirt. Does that mean everyone comes in dressed appropriately? No, you will find there are people who come in dressed in things they say are no no's. If you choose to wear a no no and they let you dine just be prepared for dirty looks and comments from other cruisers. It's just a fact of life, if their are rules written down and people don't follow them the ones who do get a little cranky. LOL ( I will not be one of those but I have sat at many tables with passengers like that )

My DS will only be 18 months when we take him on his first cruise but he will already be dressing appropriately for dinner. (Burlington coat factory has been my friend in preparing.) I think if you start at a young age it molds in their brain.

Again just my opinion.

Katie

I imagine your boys have some Dockers or nicer trousers for the dining room, so I would go with that. If, for some reason, they act like such clothes are about to give them a rash, just remind them that they only have to wear them during dinner and that they look good for the girls. :)

D

If, for some reason, they act like such clothes are about to give them a rash, just remind them that they only have to wear them during dinner and that they look good for the girls. :)

D

oooo - I like that one I will have to remember that one when DS gets older!!!

Thanks for your advice. I totally agree, if there are rules you should follow them!I think it's nice to dress up for dinner. On the other hand i know they will moan like mad. :mad: I just wasn't sure if the smart/casual applied to kids. I want to make sure i do things right this being our first cruise.:D I also have a teenage daughter and she'll just love to dress up so at least no argument there.:)

Not entirely certian if NOS is "Navigator of the Seas" (which would be RCCI) or not. Also want to make the point that I do not care for jeans (particularly not on me - don't have the shape for them!)

I have a 17YO nephew who wants to be an attorney - so he'll argue any point put out there. He points out that RCCI's published Rules of Conduct states:

Dining Areas Dress Code

Dining Rooms and Specialty Restaurants

No bare feet, caps, tank tops or bathing suits are permitted in these areas. Shorts

are not allowed during
dinner.

Windjammer Café

No bare feet are allowed. Tank tops and caps are not allowed during dinner.

I (the high school state debate champion) countered with the dress code from the FAQ:

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

"jeans" are not "slacks" in my book. We've been trading "official" definitions as to what constitutes "slacks" and have not come to an agreement!

BTW the dress code goes on to state: "We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children."

He does abide by the dress code while on board and dresses quite nicely for dinner in the dining room (he just enjoys a good argument). He attends an all-boy Catholic High School and has all of the dressier clothes he needs because they cannot wear jeans (or cargos or any of a host of other options which are strictly prohibited and fully defined in his school's dress code).

I guess my point is, watch what you say - rather than saying jeans are not allowed focus on what is suggested and let your sons know what YOU expect of them. That way it matters less what "everyone else" is doing or what exactly the rules say.

Thanks for your advice. I totally agree, if there are rules you should follow them!I think it's nice to dress up for dinner. On the other hand i know they will moan like mad. :mad: ]

They'll get over it fast!;) My sons, now 17 and 19 have been on 3 cruises and were 11 and 13 on their first cruise. They were a little shocked when I told them what was acceptable for cruise attire. We went shopping for things they normally did not wear like khaki shorts, collared shirts (polos, hawaiian type, etc.), and docker type pants for the evenings (forturnately, we had formal attire since they were in the school band). What's funny is that when we came back from the cruise, they wore the clothes at school too, deciding that they did look good!:) They are going to have such a good time, they won't even think about not having their favorite jeans and t-shirts on the cruise.

Have a great time!

I guess my point is, watch what you say - rather than saying jeans are not allowed focus on what is suggested and let your sons know what YOU expect of them. That way it matters less what "everyone else" is doing or what exactly the rules say.

Onessa, you made me chuckle nostalgically when I got into a similar argument as a teenager. As the rebellious, argumentative teenager (who now is a lawyer :)), I was arguing with my father about wearing jeans to a certain restaurant. I brought up that there was no dress code that prohibited jeans. I thought I had a great point, until my father's reply:

"They can make whatever rules they want and allow you to do whatever they want, and I don't care. I don't allow you to wear jeans."

I'm sure I went off on some futile "not fair" point while I was putting on my slacks and getting into the car.

D

• 2 weeks later...

I too believe in following the rules, but I must admit the thought of forking out money for clothes for my 10 month old will only wear once is distressing. My older children will be dressed "appropriately". My plan for the baby was the formal night, dressy, and the rest of the time, khaki pants and polo shirts, or dressy shorts with polos. I'd hate to have people fuss because my 10 month old came to dinner in adorable blue dress shorts and a polo. I guess this topic is just one of those cans you just don't want to open.

We were on NOS in February. My son, 11 at the time, wore khaki type pants with polo shirt (or buttoned up collared short sleeve shirt) in the dining room on non-formal night. With shoes (no sneakers, no sandals) He changes after dinner, but knows that he's got to dress according to the rules (especially my rules) for dinner.

[quote name=cali-croozer;10080556(fortunately' date=' we had formal attire since they were in the school band).

Have a great time![/quote]

Don't we love those school bands! Both my boys own their own tuxedos and hubby will have to buy a suit for the cruise :0. I can't wait to get a photo with everyone in their formal stuff. When they do band stuff they are too busy and then out of there formal stuff before I can get a picture.

Another good thing is that I haven't had to buy any new slacks or rent a tux for school dances. Older son wears his black dress pants, band shoes (for marching but they look just like dress shoes) and I pick up a new shirt and/or tie if needed.

I too believe in following the rules, but I must admit the thought of forking out money for clothes for my 10 month old will only wear once is distressing.

I totally agree--but that's true for my 9 year old and 13 year old, too. Normally, they're quite casual dressers, but we're having a fun time checking out Ebay and resale shops for bargains on dressier and even formal clothes in preparation for our cruise this summer. You don't have to spend bundle to look good--even for a 10 month old! :)

Hi Milly man - I'm cruising with my husband and 12 year old son on 28th July. We've been on several cruises including a Royal Carribean one and my son has never worn a suit for the formal evenings - we just take some smart trousers and a shirt for him. I think jeans would be OK for a casual night the only thing they don't allow are shorts and sleeveless tshirts. Look forward to meeting you at the meet n mingle !

Thanks for all your replys on this subject.:) Just to let you know i've since been out and bought my boys a suit. My my when we got home from the shops they couldn't get changed quick enough (into their new suits that is!) :D just to admire themselves some more. ;)

Archived