how to carry day's spending money

If you're interested in a REALLY secure bag, check out Pac Safe (www.pacsafe.com). Many of them have locking security pockets and incorporate a wire mesh that is slash proof. They also put a cable in the straps to prevent a thief from cutting the straps and running away with the bag. We picked up the MetroSafe 100, which is just big enough to put our digital camera, cell phone, guide books, water bottle and a small wallet. My wife is using it instead of a purse.

Frederick

If you're interested in a REALLY secure bag, check out Pac Safe (www.pacsafe.com). Many of them have locking security pockets and incorporate a wire mesh that is slash proof. They also put a cable in the straps to prevent a thief from cutting the straps and running away with the bag. We picked up the MetroSafe 100, which is just big enough to put our digital camera, cell phone, guide books, water bottle and a small wallet. My wife is using it instead of a purse.

Frederick

Thanks, I'm going to check it out right now.

I appreciate all the helpful suggestions.

Peggy

Frederick

Hi again,

I went to pacsafe and I bought a ton of stuff, thanks!! I feel better and a lot more prepared for the gypsy thieves we may run into in Rome.

I got a small purse and Dh got a camera strap and fanny pack and a few other items.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Take care,

Peggy

I'm debating between carrying a day pack (small back pack) vs. a travel bag (like the Metro100 from pacsafe). I plan to carry 2 water bottles, 1-2 travel books, map, camera. I generally use a day pack because it has better back support, a small hip belt (so the load rides on your hips, not on your shoulders), and doesn't dig into my shoulder. But, a travel bag is easier to wear in the front with my arm over it, and keep an eye on it. A third option is the cable wrap I saw on Pacsafe, which wraps around your backpack so they can't slit it and take things without you being aware.

What's everyone's opinion as to which is better?

I thought about a daypack/backpack, but wanted something I could put over my head and have the strap go diagonally across. I guess the thieves will have to drag me along if they try to swipe it! :D

I thought about a daypack/backpack, but wanted something I could put over my head and have the strap go diagonally across. I guess the thieves will have to drag me along if they try to swipe it! :D

That's what I'm thinking about too. I bought the small shoulder purse. Lots of compartments and very theft proof.

What did you end up getting?

We should be well protected by the time we get there, lol.

Peggy

I do think its a great idea to think about being "target hardened" and spending some thoughtfulness on a security plan.

However in my 4 trips to Europe, and in the largest touristy cities (Paris, Rome, Venice, Barcalona) I can honestly say we have never been targeted, sucessfully anyway. That being said, I have never come back without hearing of a couple of sucessful picks, sometimes of some people who I consider experienced travelers.

I knock on wood here, but exercizing common sense and staying mentally alert while enjoying the "fun of vacationing" is still your most valuable tool both here and abroad.

That's what I'm thinking about too. I bought the small shoulder purse. Lots of compartments and very theft proof.

What did you end up getting?

We should be well protected by the time we get there, lol.

Peggy

I bought the Metrosafe 200 Secure Shoulder Bag:

http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&_action=detail&id=21

This should be fine for the camera, travel book, water bottles, etc. Hope it will hold a few packages in case we find something we can't live without! ;)

I can't decide between the MetroSafe100 and the TrekSafe100.. I like the size of the MetroSafe, but the TrekSafe is big enough to be used as a carry-on too (plus we have a good sized camera, like a small SLR digital). Has anyone gotten the MetroSafe 100? Is it a good size? I'm also thinking of the camera strap for $25 (which seems like a lot, but the camera would be more than 20x that to replace alone, the pictures are priceless!).

Jfultz81, you bring up a good point about the camera strap.

Now you have me thinking that I should invest in an "unslashable" strap, too! I just bought a new digital SLR and would be really upset if it was taken!

do the reinforced straps set off alarms? Not so concerned about airport as those are scanned, but that about those in museums etc?

I trick I used while a home health nurse was to safety pin my wallet inside a pocket...I found a small wallet that had a key ring and used a big safety pin ....also used that trick in Paris for my 'pocket change'. worked great. Never was pickpocketed...except for the time someone reached in a bag and removed a used feminine product:eek:

still makes me laugh:cool:

I realize that everyone has a different comfort/worry level about the possibility of being a victim of theft. I am probably somewhere in the middle . . . I have two kinds of travel wallets -- one to wear around the neck and one to wear around the waist (not sure who will wear which!) and am contemplating whether I need/want a small purse with a steel strap. I have a small purse with a long shoulder strap that I have been planning to use just to keep some amount of cash and one credit card available (so as not to be digging in the neck or waist wallet in public!). The strap, though, is fabric and probably could be cut fairly easily. So I'm wondering, what is the objective risk that someone will look at my small (about 8 inches square) purse and decide to try to cut the strap?

Remember the mittens that our children wore to school under their jackets and pinned to inside of their coats? I have thought of replicating that idea with small zippered pockets pinned under the arm of my jackets. This way I could change my security from jacket to jacket depending on the weather. Nothing like a good old diaper pin. This would be great for smaller more valueble items such as a credit card and I.D. I have also taken off the outside pocket of my husbands sport shirts, placed in a small security pocket and sewed back the original pocket on top. I also did one on the inside of one of his shirts. These provide a small place for "pocket" money, even though he is wearing a neck pouch and a pac safe waist belt for his camera. I like the idea of sending ourselves our information and current pictures. Oh yes, I have a very loud metal whistle I bought at a Titanic exhibit. Very loud. I could very well be ready now.

I am looking for small bag like pascafe.com, that what I look for. Is it selling in UK?

or can order it and delivery to UK?

Scottishwee35

I believe there are retailers that sell pacsafe who are in the UK. Go to the pacsafe site and they will list US and UK sites. There will be links to click on where you want to buy on line, I think i saw it there.

I go to Europe every year and while I do use a neck type pouch to keep my passport and credit cards in, I use a small bag that I keep my money, tickets, cell phone, and camera in. I do not worry that someone is going to cut it off me with a knife. I think sometimes those that are pickpocketed are sometimes (not always) just being careless. I see so many tourists walking around with their large bags unzipped or their money or wallets half hanging out of their back pockets. While I do keep a close eye on my belongings I do not stress and worry that I might lose a few Euros. Go, have fun, be cautious but every person that might bump into you is not necessarly trying to rob you, I bumped into someone last night in the mall, it happens.

The best tip I can give is to sew strips of Velcro inside the front pocket of your pants. In order to get anything from your pocket you have to pull open the Velcro, doing that would make a pickpocket run away.

The best tip I can give is to sew strips of Velcro inside the front pocket of your pants. In order to get anything from your pocket you have to pull open the Velcro, doing that would make a pickpocket run away.

Excellent idea, thanks.

I ordered the pacsafe money belts online, but now I have a question for those of you that may have used one in the past. Since I know that the reinforced steel belt makes it necessary to remove the money belt to go throught the metal detectors at the airport, I would assume this would also be necessary at other security checkpoints like St. Peter's, the Vatican Museums and the Louvre. Doesn't it defeat the purpose of carrying this heavy duty money belt if it has to be removed in plain site of everyone in order to go through security? :confused: How have you guys handled this situation in the past?

Thanks!!

On our last cruise, I used a flat wrist band-type wallet for the first time. It's pretty much made for joggers, with a zipper closure and velcro closure that secures around your wrist. I kept some cash and a credit card in it comfortably. I used it primarily because of all the horror stories I'd heard about Buenos Aires that turned out to be total nonsense--probably the NICEST people I've ever encountered during my travels and such a beautiful, beautiful city. Anyway, though I agree that the same precautions one would take in any city would apply pretty much anywhere in the world, I realized I loved the wrist band, not so much for its wallet aspect as the fact that I didn't have to lug a handbag around with me. Give it a try.

Archived