Joining MV Discovery May 16th

Since you do not say what you will be doing onboard, I am not sure what to ask you. I guess it would be nice to have you post any information about repairs/refurbishing and entertainment and dining staff changes.

Thank you!

Since you do not say what you will be doing onboard, I am not sure what to ask you. I guess it would be nice to have you post any information about repairs/refurbishing and entertainment and dining staff changes.

Thank you!

You can ask me anything. I wll endeavour to find out from the revelent personnel should I not have the answer.

Not long now. I'm quite excited. !!!

Greetings

Will Be Joining MV Discovery On May 16th 2007 for a year and would love to answer any questions you may have about the ship when I arrive. I will try my best to check in as often as possible.

Regards

Hi

We join the ship April 14th 2008 in Manaus for 27 days after spending about 6 weeks travelling from Punta Arenas to the Amazon - but will see her in the Falklands during the summer down there - would be useful to pick up tips and chat - maybe we can tell you about the Falklands ! Have not been on this sort of cruise ship before

Wanderers

Aloha, Discoverycruz

Godspeed, and "Happy Trails to You" (singing a la Dale Evans and Roy Rogers) :)

My question: Are the 2 swimming pools heated? Or is the likelihood of swimming on an Antarctic cruise about zero? What's the usual temperature of the 2 hot tubs? Some hot tubs are just lukewarm. I like my saunas and hot tubs really hot. It would seem super luxurious to me to be able to get into a swimmably warm pool, and appropriately hot hot tub water while cruising Antarctica. Does the average age of the cruiser on this ship make the cruise line keep things tepid so as not to induce any untoward medical emergencies?

I realize that you may not be able to answer these questions until you get on board.

How does the quality of the food compare to Celebrity and Oceania? I don't mind a downtick in food quality if there's an uptick - as I suspect there is with MV Disovery - in the nature experiences offered.

How many actual landings can be expected, relational to # of days of the cruise? I understand that with some lines cruising Antarctica, the landings are rationed so that there are actually very few.

Where else can I go for top notch Antarctica cruising information?

I realize that this is a different experience from the usual cruise line. I'd just like to know what I should be expecting before I plunk my thousands down.

I'm totally up for the rough and tumble of setting my feet on this coldest of continents. (I lived alone for 5 years, heating with wood, where it got to minus 30 degrees in the winter. That's where I learned to love the extreme heat of a real Finnish sauna.)

Thanks for any help you can give. I hope that you enjoy the year on board. It sounds like a fabulous adventure, as far as working at a job goes. I'd be interested in hearing how it goes for you.

Kind Regards,

Susan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hi

We join the ship April 14th 2008 in Manaus for 27 days after spending about 6 weeks travelling from Punta Arenas to the Amazon - but will see her in the Falklands during the summer down there - would be useful to pick up tips and chat - maybe we can tell you about the Falklands ! Have not been on this sort of cruise ship before

Wanderers

I will still be here then. I have signed a years contract till next May. The itinerary I have to say is what brought me here. It truly is amazing.

I would love to keep in touch and learn about the Falklands and I would love to tell you about the ship.

It's my first time working with M/v Discovery and I'm still finding my feet but the ship itself is very impressive. I have been on 7 ships previous and it has a wonderful family feel to it. Thats the beauty of smaller ships!! I wil endeavour to answer any questions I can.

Okay, Discoverycruz, how are you enjoying the MV Discovery? Any words of wisdom for those of us booked on the ship?

I am having a wonderful time onboard. I would truly say this is one of the best ships I have worked on.

The itinerary is superb. The crew are extremely friendly. The ship has a really relaxed, comfortable, family feel to it.

True to say. It doesn't have all the mod cons of a Superliner and what it lacks in technology it makes up for in atmosphere. They don't make them like this anymore.

I truly hope you will have an experience to remember with us.

• 2 weeks later...
Aloha, Discoverycruz

Godspeed, and "Happy Trails to You" (singing a la Dale Evans and Roy Rogers) :)

My question: Are the 2 swimming pools heated? Or is the likelihood of swimming on an Antarctic cruise about zero? What's the usual temperature of the 2 hot tubs? Some hot tubs are just lukewarm. I like my saunas and hot tubs really hot. It would seem super luxurious to me to be able to get into a swimmably warm pool, and appropriately hot hot tub water while cruising Antarctica. Does the average age of the cruiser on this ship make the cruise line keep things tepid so as not to induce any untoward medical emergencies?

I realize that you may not be able to answer these questions until you get on board.

How does the quality of the food compare to Celebrity and Oceania? I don't mind a downtick in food quality if there's an uptick - as I suspect there is with MV Disovery - in the nature experiences offered.

How many actual landings can be expected, relational to # of days of the cruise? I understand that with some lines cruising Antarctica, the landings are rationed so that there are actually very few.

Where else can I go for top notch Antarctica cruising information?

I realize that this is a different experience from the usual cruise line. I'd just like to know what I should be expecting before I plunk my thousands down.

I'm totally up for the rough and tumble of setting my feet on this coldest of continents. (I lived alone for 5 years, heating with wood, where it got to minus 30 degrees in the winter. That's where I learned to love the extreme heat of a real Finnish sauna.)

Thanks for any help you can give. I hope that you enjoy the year on board. It sounds like a fabulous adventure, as far as working at a job goes. I'd be interested in hearing how it goes for you.

Kind Regards,

Susan

Hi Susan

I will answer your questions as best I can.

With regards tot he pools. They are not very popular however I have seen people taking a dip this cruise while we are in the North Cape. They didn't seem too cold but I will find out whether they are heated and get back to you.

The hot tubs are comfortably warm. I don't think they are as hot as probably you are hoping.

The food. I have not heard of any complaints personally so far so I assume it is of a satifactory standard. There is a different choice of menu every evening and the opportunity to book a la carte in the yacht club.

I have yet to experience this but have been told it's very good.

The landings in antarctica are specified by itinerary and are outlined on the website. www.voyagesofdiscovery.com

If you wish t know more about the antarctic itself I find searching on www.google.com invaluable. As for myself I will experiencing The Antarctic for the first time this year also.

I hope this helps.

xx

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Discoverycruz,

Hope you are having a great time aboard!

Just a quick question - could you tell me how to contact someone at

the company to request the opportunity to work as a singer onboard

the ship? Thanks for any help.

Archived