Tropical Depression # 3 - This one has major written all over it!

CoachTerry14

It depends on what station you listen to on how bad it will be. The local news here in Atlanta stated that it could be bad for the panhandle of Florida as it is due to move in that direction by Thursday P.M. The Weather Channel states that it will still be a tropical storm when it makes landfall in Florida and not that bad. These things are so unpredictable. They can change intensity and direction on a dime. That is what I dislike about them so much.

[size=3][color=blue]Jemingway, all the stations in Florida do. We are lucky enough to not have had a major hurricane. However, we have gotten lots of rain from them. We are totally soaked now. When these td's head up towards the panhandle we still get the rain.[/color][/size]

[size=3][color=#0000ff][/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#0000ff]Lisa :cool: [/color][/size]

For those that have not lived through a Category 4 or 5 all this may look silly but that is how I feel about winter up north: "so much talk about snow and ice!???". I have lived in Miami since 1968, before then I lived in California several years, and before then in my native homeland of Cuba. Before 1992 I had lived through 4 hurricanes in Cuba Categories 2-3 and through one moderate earthquake and several minor ones in California, actually we moved to Florida after that one moderate earthquake. So when Hurricane Andrew was coming I thought "I've been through this before in CUba, now I'm here in USA where things are sooooo much better". I was one of those that felt that our local media was a bit crazy but because of them and their excellent coverage the loss of lives was minimal. Well, guess what? The experience of a strong Category 4 (actually now they are admitting that Andrew was a 5) is something that I do not wish to live through again, neither wish it on my worst enemy, if I had one. The sense of helplessness when you are hearing those winds that sound like a freight train is coming through your living room and there is no where to run, the devastation afterwards is sickening and leaves you breathless, and then if you have not ever found yourself literally "without anything" you can not understand how it can take you to the worst depression of your life. In 1992 in Miami many decided to feel like the media was exagerating and they found themselves in total despair and homeless! Acts of Nature such as tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, etc. are not to be taken lightly. You need to prepare yourself at home, have a plan. And to those cruising remember the cruise line is more concerned in not being sued and not loosing their precious expensive cruise ship, they will make sure to take you away from the danger zone, they all have plenty alternate plans for these occurrences. So go on your cruise, but have a heart and pray for those that have no other choice but to stay and hope the mercy of God will take the storm away out to sea!
AlinaMaria

So sorry for you Sensation goers. Better get on the internet right now to plan what excursions you might want to do in the Bahamas. I know some who say they didn't like it there, but we always enjoyed going to Cable Beach there. There are also some beautiful gardens to visit there as well. Here's hoping that you will have sunshine on your trip, no matter where you will be.

Some of you are getting yourselves worked up for no reason. Can you tell me the last time a ocean liner was in the direct line of a major hurricane and suffered DIRECT damage from center storm?
There are a lot of large vessels on all the oceans of the world every minute of every day and they have imagery and satellite equipment above and beyond what is needed. Can the sea's get rough, yes, will the ship list over? NO. Television news is designed to draw you in for the advertising, same for radio. Another thing to the woman from Cuba, Carnival Corporation is not going to worry only about their ship, but also their passengers. If you as a citizen of Miami were warned about the storm and did nothing, who is to blame?
As a matter of fact, you can forget the companies, the men in charge of these vessels are the cream of the crop. You do not become a Captain taking on line courses or attending night school.
They personally, will do every thing in their power and resources to keep the ship out of peril and the passengers and crew safe. Remember this if a cruise is diverted from a port and someone squawks about their missed port. Television is a great source of information and also a riot in a box.

[quote name='dewhit6959']Some of you are getting yourselves worked up for no reason. Can you tell me the last time a ocean liner was in the direct line of a major hurricane and suffered DIRECT damage from center storm?
There are a lot of large vessels on all the oceans of the world every minute of every day and they have imagery and satellite equipment above and beyond what is needed. Can the sea's get rough, yes, will the ship list over? NO. Television news is designed to draw you in for the advertising, same for radio. Another thing to the woman from Cuba, Carnival Corporation is not going to worry only about their ship, but also their passengers. If you as a citizen of Miami were warned about the storm and did nothing, who is to blame?
As a matter of fact, you can forget the companies, the men in charge of these vessels are the cream of the crop. You do not become a Captain taking on line courses or attending night school.
They personally, will do every thing in their power and resources to keep the ship out of peril and the passengers and crew safe. Remember this if a cruise is diverted from a port and someone squawks about their missed port. Television is a great source of information and also a riot in a box.[/QUOTE]

If you read all of the posts, people are concerned about being rerouted. They are not necessarily worried about their safety. Their concerns are not on where they end up, but doing the last minute planning to enjoy their cruise.

Many people (specially CC users) spend numerous hours palnning and even booking shore excursions. To have mother nature foul it up, means additional planning and in a hurry! :)

Archived