Tropical storm/hurricane questions...

FishyTrishy

We leave from Tampa to Cozumel on Thursday. It looks like Bonnie will be out of our way, but watching the local news, it seems there is another storm on it's way. This storm looks like it will be near us on Friday/Saturday as we arrive in Cozumel. If this happens, will they cancel our cruise? Or has anyone been through this? The bad thing... we didn't get insurance. Does that mean if it is cancelled we lose our money? This will be our first cruise, so any information will be useful.

Thanks,

Trish

** Also, if they know the threat of a storm is there before we leave port, would they cancel then? I'm unsure if cancellation will happen if we are still in Tampa? **

We cruised thru Hurricane Michelle and tropical storm when were heading to Nassau. With Michelle we were going to Cozumel and they just went to Grand Cayman first. With nassau they just cruised up the Florida coast and waited for it to pass and then went to Nassau.

They will not cancel the cruise, they will just steer out of harm's way, a ship can move land cannot! You are safer on a ship than land, they can go where it is safe!

Jerry,

Thanks for your quick response. I think to relieve my fears of losing money, I'll get insurance next time. I'm sure we'll have fun no matter what or where we are, and you're right about land not moving. :) Hopefully you're right, and cancellation won't happen.

Theuiseline will not cancel the cruise if the storm is hitting the Western Caribbean when it is time for you to leave you will go to the Eastern Caribbean. Insurance will not help, unless you cancel for a covered reason. If the cruiseline cancels a cruise you get your money back. But they do not cancel for hurricanes you just go somewhere else

From the Carnival Web site FAQ:

What about hurricanes?

Hurricane season encompasses the months of June through November. Due to the unpredictable nature of hurricanes it may not be possible to give information about itinerary changes in advance of the sailing. Carnival's main priority is the safety of our guests and crew, as well as the vessel. It is rare for a cancellation to occur due to an impending hurricane. In some instances an itinerary deviation is implemented to avoid a storm. Hurricanes have been known to change their course drastically at the last minute. Guests that have any questions should contact our Reservations department the day prior to sailing, as that is when we will have definitive information. We will always make decisions that assure the cruise experience will be a great one and that all on board are totally safe.

We will be doing the same itinerary on the Inspiration in November. I am hoping we will be missing the tail end of the hurricane season by then. Since Cozumel is our only port of call, I wonder if we would just be doing a 5 day cruise to no-where if a hurricane was coming thru that same corrider? Just would have to love those days at sea :)

I've heard of the cruise ships embarking in another port. For example, if it hit Tampa, they may move embarkation to Fort Lauderdale and bus everyone over from Tampa.

2 things cruise lines don't want to do: #1 endanger their passengers or ships and #2 lose money....they will cruise....they just may change ports.

cantwaittocruise,

I believe Charlie will be long gone by the time you sail on Aug 30th. That's not to say that something else might not be brewing between now & then, but I don't believe it will be Charlie.

FishyTrishy,

Please keep us updated on what Carnival tells you about your itinerary. I heard rumors about Nassau being replaced as a port of call, but I don't know if that was for your trip or not.

If the ship cannot leave from the sheduled port of departure due to weather, the cruise line will refund your money. This SELDOM happens, because they will make every attempt to leave. The problem may occur if you are flying into Tampa and did not book your air through Carnival, and your flight can't make it into Tampa due to weather. If that's the case, and you don't have trip insurance, you're on your own.

Call Carnival and ask them how this will effect your cruise at 1-800-CARNIVAL. If they can not get your ship out of Tampa Bay before the bad weather they may alter your plans. It takes approx. 1 hr. 45 min. to exit Tampa Bay.

The weather people are telling us that one of the storms will go in around the panhandle this weekend and the other one will come into the central Florida area this weekend. I live in the Tampa Bay area and Hurricane's are always bad news and especially now because we have already had so much rain in the last couple of weeks.

The Tampa Bay area has not had a direct hit from a hurricane since Hurricane Donna. I live in the evacuation area. Donna hit us years ago, I think in 1962, it was nasty and our roof flew off our house never to be seen again. There was no city water or electricity for two weeks. Over the last few years we have had so many false alarms I am afraid people will not take the warnings seriously.

Best of luck with your cruise.

cantwaittocruise,

I believe Charlie will be long gone by the time you sail on Aug 30th. That's not to say that something else might not be brewing between now & then, but I don't believe it will be Charlie.

Oh I'm not worried about Charley...I know it will be long gone. But it has already been a pretty active hurricane season and it seems like they just keep coming one right after the other so I'm worried about another storm forming later in the month. I was just wondering what happens if a hurricane hits the port.

Archived