Is this itinerary baby-friendly?

blackwing

We will be travelling with a 6 month old baby. I'm considering the August 29 Carnival Valor. The price really can't be beat. It's the Eastern itinerary, so it stops in Nassau, St. Thomas and St. Maarten. I don't see us leaving him on the ship while we go out and play, and I'm kind of worried that these ports aren't all that baby-friendly.

I think he'd be much better off if we stopped in places like Grand Turk and Half Moon Bay, where he could sit on the beach with us for a little bit.

But the price and time are right for us. I've been to Nassau, which I recall as kind of a pit, so I suppose we could just stroll him around town for a little bit. I remember the locals being fairly aggressive.

It's been a long time since I've been to St. Thomas and St. Maarten. What can we do without having to take taxis? In St. Thomas I know there is that tram near the dock, but I'm not sure if we want to do that. I remember there is the "downtown area" but I remember walking there and it was a hike.

Book beach and tour excursions with Carnival and avoid the Taxis. My youngest was 8 months old when we went on that itinerary. We've been on this one at least 4 times. We did the "Under Two Flags Tour"...we did Orient Beach in St.Martin....Coral World in St Thomas and in the Bahamas there is a SIMPLE way to get around taxis. Walk off the port and there is a building where the Carnival ships dock...in THAT building buy a ticket for a water taxi...the cost is $3 pp each way. The water taxi runs to Paradise Island. A short walk down the block is an open public beach.

I hate to say it but now that we are back from the Western Carib I can NOW say that the Eastern is MUCH more baby/toddler friendly. The locals are much more friendly. They aren't as pushy. OMG in Jamaica I wanted to die at how pushy they were. :eek:

I can pretty much tell you that we have decided to STAY with the ships doing the Eastern route after this past week in the Western. So you made a great choice. :D

This was my beach baby at Orient Beach :) (she's 3 years old now)

Gab-StMart1.jpg

We will be travelling with a 6 month old baby. I'm considering the August 29 Carnival Valor. The price really can't be beat. It's the Eastern itinerary, so it stops in Nassau, St. Thomas and St. Maarten. I don't see us leaving him on the ship while we go out and play, and I'm kind of worried that these ports aren't all that baby-friendly.

It's a great itinerary based on the fact that all those ports are docked and not tendered. St. Maarten is nice because you can just stroll through town without much a problem. I would avoid that weird flea market though. St. Thomas I would go ahead and book one of the tours recommended on the message boards. Nassau - definitely get an excursion. Downtown Nassau is a boring dump.

When I read the question I immediately thought that Eastern on the Valor would be perfect for a baby and then I saw that you picked that exact ship and route. Great suggestions the only thing I could add would be a horse and buggy ride through Nassau might be something you all would enjoy.

We haven't been to st maarten, but we've been to the others. Unfortunately we've been to Nassau several times....(not my favorite port) however, the one time we did have a pretty good time we took the kids over to paradise island and through the aquarium and the dig (although it was a bit over priced). In St. Thomas we went to Coral World (I think that was the name of it....wasn't that impressed), but it did have a nice little beach next to it. On that trip we took sit and strolls...which are also car seats....so we didn't have to worry about how to get anywhere.:)

Have a great time.

Archived